Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hitman311 View Post
    Has anyone heard on the lastest with Savannah?? I got an e-mail in jan. saying congratulations on meeting min requirements, and then a week later another e-mail saying the hiring process has been postponed. I'm about to be a father in July, and dont know if I should stay put or hold out for savannah.
    First, congrats on the new arrival!

Second, I haven't heard anything about future classes as well so if anyone has please share! From what I've heard, and read it seems like the city is wanting all departments to hold off on hiring for the time with the current decrease in tax revenue the city has faced. Hopefully things will pick up!

Forum Member

from what i was told it is a city wide. i too am waiting. my source told me that it is trying to happen in june. if not it could be anytime from june-jan. But they will hire, its just when the city says they can hire. i myself am living in Ohio and trying to move to sav. but i cant do it unless i get this job so it sucks sitting around waiting but it will be worth the wait.

Forum Member

Dare I ask, what's the word from the historic city of Savannah? Anybody heard anything. Still curious if my list (from '07) is still active or just last test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah it's not looking good from what I'm seeing...

Haven't heard anything from the department except when I call every now and then and get the " oh, we're still waiting on the budget.... blah blah blah."

I'm getting tired of waiting around.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

Rumor mill is getting funny now. Well we need people, tons of OT out there. But, the problem is with the budget and other things that wont start making sence till your on for about a year. Trust me. Things can go several ways at this time. With the new SAFER grant I do not see why we can't hire soon with the presumtion that we apply for the grant. It's looking like we need 25 people and counting. Three people turned in their 2 weeks in the last few days alone. Retirements are happining too. My year mark on the floor is coming up next week and I would like to see some others coming in. I don't know the financials of the Department but hopefully we build in these times so we will be stronger during the good times.
    As, far as South Side "Fire" and EMS...Rumors are that they are hurting. Shutting down a 24Hr meat wagons. Old rigs with high milage. Sooner or later if Savannah holds out, well take it all. Times for them are worse, so I've heard. Anyway, keep burnem down guys.
    Anyway, good luck guys. If I hear anything I'll post it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info...
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

Currently the City of Savannah is doing a good job "maintaining" during these tough times. As most of you know the Public Safety Departments are the last to be touched, which is good news. We've heard rumors of a class of 25 next year and up to 60. This will be due to attrition and the possibility of having 2-3 stations coming online next year.

This month the department is taking delivery of 3 new engines. In the last 4 years the department has replaced 10 of 14 1st due engines, 4 of 5 trucks companies and both rescues. Also multiple support vehicles have been replaced on continual basis.

The construction of replacement stations for 5 & 11 are going to be getting underway soon.

We will soon be pushing the issue of staffing on apparatus. The current staffing is 4 on the majority of engines. Our goal will be 4 on all engines, trucks and rescues. We'll see how that works.

I urge you all to always check our union website at www.iaff574.org

The website is updated almost daily with pics, stats and runs.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information to the both of you. Am curious who will be getting the new Sutphens? Assume 9 for sure.

Forum Member

E-8, E-3, E-9 from what we know

Where do you work now Soaring Eagle?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    E-8, E-3, E-9 from what we know

Where do you work now Soaring Eagle?
    Thanks for the info. Won't take long to get broke in at those three locations.

I'm actually on a meat wagon about an hour inland. Went through the '07 process and said last Fall that there were a few from that list that will get offers first. Not sure if that's still the case or if the "freeze" will extend it. Was unable to test last round for a personal matter and thought for sure would have hired more by now finishing up my list. You just never know with the current economy though. Hopefully things will pick up for the ones who just tested. Best of Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info again...

Here's a good question...

If and when the freeze is over. Do they pick up where they left off in the process?

Like in my case where I passed the written exam back in late 08 and the CPAT then I was scheduled for a interview then the freeze started.
    Would I have to start the process over again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterPEP View Post

Like in my case where I passed the written exam back in late 08 and the CPAT then I was scheduled for a interview then the freeze started.
    Would I have to start the process over again?
    No way you'll have to start over. The '07 process is the one that has most likely expired. With that said though, the last class finished up a previous list as well. Just hang in there and something is bound to happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good to know. Thanks bud.

Forum Member

From what i was told is that it will start right back up. Thats what im hoping for atleast im on the 08' list and i am really looking forward to moving to savannah.

I will be in town ealy sept. so i will stop in at station 3 like i always do to see whats new. If i hear anything i will post. I've been waiting to move to Savannah for almost 2 years now, really wish this damn economy hadn't of screwed me.

Good luck all and Thanks for the Info.

Forum Member

Default ANy New Word on Savannah??

I just got a letter from South Side FD informing me that they are hiring. I'm still trying to hang in there for Savannah fire rescue and wanted to know if any new info is out there? I tested for Savannah back in Oct. 08 and received the email in jan 09 about the hiring freeze. Any input would be helpful!!

Forum Member

Hit, we've heard recently that they are going to or have approved a 25 recruit academy in the works. Other then that nothing new, I will try to find out some more info on this and pass it along to everyone.

As far as SSFD....would you be doing fire/ems or security?

MembersZone Subscriber

I received an Email 2 days ago from the city HR department:

"At the beginning of this year, you began the recruitment process for becoming a Firefighter Trainee with the City of Savannah. Due to unforeseen circumstances, that position was put on hold until a later date. The purpose of this letter is to determine whether or not you are still interested in being considered for this position.

If you are still interested in the position and would like to remain on the list for consideration, please respond to this email by 5:00 p.m on Monday September 14th, 2009. If you do not respond by 9/14/09 @ 5:00 p.m., you will no longer be considered for this position. Please call Human Resources at (912) 651-6484 if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

City of Savannah
    Human Resources Department"

So, I can only assume that they are going to be starting it up again....

Forum Member

Good to hear for you guys. I also guess that answers my question about the previous list being I didn't recieve an email. Best of luck!

Forum Member

I received the same email and just got a call from savannah fire, basically stating the same thing. They wanted to make sure I was still interested in the position, etc. I was also told I would be contacted by phone in the next few days for a " telephone interview". Not sure what to think of that... I always do better in person. If anybody has any input as to what type of interview this is, would greatly appreciate the info. I was kinda expecting like an oral board type interview asking the scenerio based questions... so not sure what to expect and hate to shoot from the hip. Thanks for the input. And almost forgot.... was told they were hiring 25 for an oct. class, so i guess things are going to move really fast now.

Forum Member

I talked to a Captain in training the other day, while I was on OT, and she said that they are looking to start by the end of September or begining of October. They really want you guys to graduate before the new year, but that is probably not going to happen. I don't know who is going to be running the class, but some names have been thrown around for class coodinator. 5 days 8 hrs or 4 days of 10 hrs is beeing discussed too. Not that it really matters.

Just a bit of advice: Look sharp for the interview. Look sharp your first day. Don't talk during class. Understand that the weather in October is not the same as in August. Take care of your class mates who don't know how to say "sir". Stay humble. Tradition will take care of the rest.

If you've never worked in the fire service, be ready to clean. Your first day on the floor (after you graduate) should be cleaning. Mostly because some Joe or BOB has dusted you or taken your bed apart and cleaning will be needed after these events. Don't take anything personally, it's where that "tradition" part comes in.

The Department is a great place. Don't sweat the small stuff and have fun. I am very excited for you "guys" (mainly because I won't be lowest on the totem pole anymore) and wish you the best! This is the greatest job in the world and you are about to work with some of the best firefighters in the country. Several of whom have my upmost and deepest respect. Learn from them at every chance.

Good luck and see you soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the advice lilly

Forum Member

Thanks for the info Lilly . Can you tell us what to expect for the enterview?
    Thanks again for your help!!!

Forum Member

I had a board interview. Someone was saying something about a phone interview. Good luck with that. I have yet to hear anything more except that a class is going to happen soon. Very soon.
    How ever they interview you remember the key words: team work. If you beat that to death you should do fine. If they ask you why you want to be a firefighter don't say "because fire is cool." If you are a firefighter right now don't up sell your current department too much and be humble. No matter what your experience is you are starting at zero. How you act and what your reputation becomes is up to you and going from a zero to hero will be baised on that. Anymore questions e-mail me at llmlclrl@aol.com and I will try to find the answers for you.

Forum Member

Guys,

I have some info and advice for any of you in the testing process. This advice and info is from a Chief and Training Captain.

Yes they are starting up the process again as many of you have recieved phone calls.

No they DO NOT know when the class will start.

Yes they are planning on 25 recruits

No they have no timeline on interviews, physicals etc......

The advice is to be patient and wait, DO NOT call human resources and try to find out info. As of right now it looks like a phone interview to start possibly followed by other interviews, unsure at this time.

The biggest advice is be patient and don't start counting the chickens before the eggs hatch.

If you want department info check the union website www.iaff574.org

or you can contact me at fptacin@yahoo.com

Lilly is also a good source

Hope this helps you out

Forum Member

I just did my Interview Yesterday over the phone. I think it went well but we will see.

I was told that they are interviewing 66 people for the class and i will be notified in about 2 weeks if i made it. They said the class will start about 3-4 weeks after they notify everyone. If i am in its going to be one crazy time moving from Cincinnati to savannah in 3 weeks! but it will be worth it.

Good luck to those who also got an interview and wish me luck.

Jeremy

Thread Information