MembersZone Subscriber

Default Savannah, Georgia

Hello everyone. Recieved the packet from the department about the written test and cpat exam.

Does anybody here know what type of written exam do they give? What would you compare it to, NFSI maybe...?

Thanks You
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

Default Test in October

If you are worried about the written test I suggest you get a prep book, that's what I did and did well. I don't know how you are physically but I would get going on a daily work out program to pass the CPAT. Unless you are in great shape and accustom to it I would center myself on the physical portion of the test. Alot of people read the CPAT instructions and think it is a joke when it will break you if you are not prepaired. If you live close to Savannah I suggest you go to the pratice sessions. Don't hurt yourself out of pride. If you don't live close, I suggest you get a ruck sack and put 90lbs in it and work out with it. 90lbs is more than the test so if you use a greater weight you wont have a problem. I assure you that the step mill is no joke. Good luck.

Forum Member

Any status on that January class of 30? Just curious if they are interviewing people, or if the economic crunch has had any effect yet? I saw the "new" Truck 16 running the other day, so hopefully that is a good sign.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

i have'nt heard anything since i did my written test and cpat back in october. still waiting for a call or something. interviews were supposed to be scheduled between dec and jan so i guess we just keep waiting and be patient... blows like always.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Forum Member

Just stay patient. A lot of rumors going around right now about upcoming classes whether they will happen or not due to budgets. I can tell you this, Savannah compared to other cities is in pretty decent shape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

i know bud... you just get frustrated sometimes.
    this is actually 1 of 5 processes that i'm currently in now.
    i'm as patient as can be

Forum Member

I'll do some checking tomorrow with the training division and see if they know anything...what other processes are you in

MembersZone Subscriber

cool man...
    fairfax county, va
    montgomery county, md
    baltimore fd,
    orange couunty, fl
    and savannah, ga

Forum Member

Gotcha...if you guys have any questions about Savannah Fire just ask...or check out the union website...we've been trying to keep it updated daily

www.iaff574.org

MembersZone Subscriber

cool thanks again.

Forum Member

Im in the Orange County process also and its been the fastest so far going from the usual 8 months to just shy of 3. Orange County is taking over transports so they are hiring medics like crazy. FF/EMT's are also getting in. Very big department and very well compensated.

It looks like Orange County is finishing up so you should hear something soon.

Forum Member

I read in a local article that the budget will be finalized the first week of Dec., and then made public the following week. Looks like more will be known then. It does state that Public Safety is a key issue for the mayor and council.

Forum Member

Rumor has it that they have no budgeted firefighter positions for 2009....again....Rumor.....

T-16 is operating with firefighters pulled from other companies

Forum Member

I talked to HR the first of Nov. to ask about some kind of a time line. I was told that the chief had informed HR that the city was waiting until the next fiscal qtr. to hire a new class, and was not going to hire this year, like we were told in the testing session. Was told that they would hire a new class in april of 09. So interviews would begin after jan. However... HR did say that they are definetely hiring a class.

Forum Member

Well thats good news for you guys then. And even better news is there won't be much competition. Figure they put 25 in and only 75-100 are eligible...and I believe that # is high....you guys stand a good shot

MembersZone Subscriber

... anybody hear any new info with this process
    I've been busy with some other processes lately and kinda forgot about it.

Forum Member

Nothing new here. Believe today is the day the budget is finalized so maybe something will come from that. Last time checked the preliminary '09 budget though, don't recall any new FF positions. Guess it just depends on number of vacancies and fingers crossed for stations 16+ to take effect. The key is to keep the westside growing!

Forum Member

I was schedualed for a interview then i got a letter saying they were going to freeze everything. Any one know about how long and how many, if any, they will hire this year?

Thanks,
    Shroyer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyShroyer View Post
    I was schedualed for a interview then i got a letter saying they were going to freeze everything. Any one know about how long and how many, if any, they will hire this year?

Thanks,
    Shroyer
    I was fearful of this from the sounds of things from a few on the job. I was from the previous list (test June '07) so I'm sure this will finish those that were on it. Maybe the "freeze" will extend the 2 yrs you can be on a list! Either way it should make things better for people on this last round of testing if and when they do hire. Damn economy!

Exclamation Marriage... hehehe

okay boys and girls........One of Savannah's finest is going off to get it done...He is a CPT at Station 3 ... One of the best men I have ever known... He and his better or I should say best half are going down to a little island to tie the knot...... Not Tybee either......... lol..... lets raise a toast to the newlyweds and wish them luck... I raising one right now in the sand box... Brothers and Sisters all........ DO THE SAME!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Way to go!

Yeah we tested in Oct 08. I got my interview letter in Jan 09. and about a week later i got the letter about the freeze a week later. When i tested they told us they were looking at 30-60 to hire in 09. I am just hoping to get this job so i can move on down. Any news on hiring please keep me updated

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyShroyer View Post
    Yeah we tested in Oct 08. I got my interview letter in Jan 09. and about a week later i got the letter about the freeze a week later. When i tested they told us they were looking at 30-60 to hire in 09. I am just hoping to get this job so i can move on down. Any news on hiring please keep me updated
    I'll keep you posted if I hear anything on the streets or in the media (for what that's worth). Curious if the "freeze" will freeze the previous eligible list or if it'll expire. Not sure how that works. Know there weren't many on it, but HR said from the get go people are eligible for 2 classes. Guess time will tell. Best of Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

soaring eagle...are you a member of Savannah Fire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fptacin View Post
    soaring eagle...are you a member of Savannah Fire?

No....live/work nearby. Went through the process prior to the last one.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard on the lastest with Savannah?? I got an e-mail in jan. saying congratulations on meeting min requirements, and then a week later another e-mail saying the hiring process has been postponed. I'm about to be a father in July, and dont know if I should stay put or hold out for savannah. Problem is my current department is terrible. I wont bore everyone with the details, but lets just say you are promoted based on your relatives. I got my EMT national cert in sept using my time and paying extra for people to cover my shift, and no raise. I also completed NPQ hazmat tech on my time and no raise. In fact, my dept gives across the board raises and does not go by evals. Everyone automatically gets the same. We have done no training since Aug of 08 ( eveyones CPR has expired) and now our chief ( who is 1st cousins with the city councilman, and that is how he went from driver to chief) has all shifts building and remolding him a new office. I'm talking sanding, painting, hanging sheetrock.... not kidding. This has been ongoing for 5 weeks now. So any inside info would help. Also... any info about savannah southside fire rescue? Would like to apply with them also.

Thread Information