Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drug Use

Exclamation Drug Use

Has anyone seen the recent article in FH, "Marijuana found in Massachusetts Chief's Car" yet? My first gut reaction is to fire this chief. He is the fire department icon, the leader, and public figurehead that everyone, including our children, look up to. I a society that is trying to curb illegal drug usage, situations like this involving someone who holds a position of prestige needs to be made an example of. Otherwise, what message are we sending everyone? This may seem cold and prudish, but I see way too many situations where people, and particulary our children, seem to think marijuana use is acceptable, and as long as it is illegal, then the punishment should be termination.

What is everyone else's thoughts? I don't want to hear how safe marijuana is either. There are many reasons that I won't go into here as to why it isn't, and why it's still illegal.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

And did you miss the follow-up to the article that the Chief was cleared, as it was discovered to be a relative's hashish, and was placed in the Chief's department vehicle without his knowledge?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bcesario View Post
    What is everyone else's thoughts? I don't want to hear how safe marijuana is either. There are many reasons that I won't go into here as to why it isn't, and why it's still illegal.
    Are you saying you would rather ruin a career than to take the time to get the facts? If you wish to become a mutt, you are on the right track. If you want to be a firefighter, you are in the wrong place.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 08-27-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Prescription drug abuse is a big problem too.
    Last edited by GeorgiaEVT; 08-28-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Changed my mind

Forum Member

this is a stupid topic. you seem very ignorant posting this. seriously if you read the article it was explained that the marijuana was not his. it was a member's of his family so he hid the weed in his car because it was the least likely place his son would look. i'm also sick of stupid things like this where people automatically assume marijuana is bad because society views it that. it is safer then smoking tobacco. and guess what? a LOT of fd's have smokers in it and they are causing more harm to themselves verses if they smoked marijuana. bring me facts that marijuana is bad. not something like "oh it causes cancer" or "you can die from it". seriously.

meh /rant .

bottom line- read the article..ALL OF IT then post. jeez

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkd44
    this is a stupid topic. you seem very ignorant posting this. seriously if you read the article it was explained that the marijuana was not his. it was a member's of his family so he hid the weed in his car because it was the least likely place his son would look. i'm also sick of stupid things like this where people automatically assume marijuana is bad because society views it that. it is safer then smoking tobacco. and guess what? a LOT of fd's have smokers in it and they are causing more harm to themselves verses if they smoked marijuana. bring me facts that marijuana is bad. not something like "oh it causes cancer" or "you can die from it". seriously.

meh /rant .

bottom line- read the article..ALL OF IT then post. jeez
    Actually, it was the Chief's grandson, not his son. And it was Grandma that hid the bag of pot in the Chief's car.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 09-06-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Quote Originally Posted by blinkd44 View Post
    So....you wouldn't mind that a doctor who is operating on you has smoked a couple of joints before hand???? You wouldn't want him to leave in the middle of your operation to get some munchies!!!!

I think that you need to do some reading on this subject matter before offering your opinion on using drugs.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Default ?

Does anyone hav ethe link to this article, I can't seem to find it?

Thanks

Thread Information