Default Interested in becoming a Fire Fighter/Medic in N.E. Florida

Hello,

I have found a ton of good info reading this forum and I would like to ask a couple of questions/get advice if you don't mind.

A little about me. I'm a military medic (NREMT-P) and I plan on taking the state Paramedic exam within the next year or so. I'm not a Fire Figher. I have already looked into the different Florida Fire academys and have a pretty good idea what to expect. I retire from the military in a few years and I would like to get in a FD somewhere around the Jacksonville area (I am a Florida resident). I will be 41 years old when I get out of the service, but I am physically fit/acitve and I have been blessed by not receiving any injuries during my service. I have BA in business administration and I plan on finishing on a Masters in Disaster Management before I get out (hoping that this would make me more marketable). I'm more suited to working with my hands/with a team than I am working behind a desk. Lastly, I have a clean driving record.

This is where I would like some advice.

I know there isn't an official age cap, but does being 41 (even though a healthy 41) limit my chances of getting hired? I control my own retirement plan so this wouldn't be an issue to me.

If anyone know's a bit a about the Jacksonville FD I would like to pick your brain. Which academys they hire most out of (FCCJ?) or will any academy do? Is it a difficult service to get on? I have found out a bit by looking on line, but I would like actual opinions, if you would let me have them.

I know having my medic is a good advantage. How long does one take to start being worked as a FF/Medic. I know most fire Depts will have guys working as FF/EMT's for the first year or so...how long is the so? Or does it vary by department? I have no problems either way, just wondering.

Any insite is helpful. Thanks for reading.

Will

Forum Member

Will,

Sorry that I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to say thank you for your service to this country.

One thing that I have heard some departments will hire non cert FF and send them to the academy on their dime. I would call or stop by Jacksonville FD to see if they do this or check their web site.

I'm sure if you pass the Paramedic exam you will not have many problems getting on a department. I have heard from this forum that hiring is some what on a freeze, but things will pick up. Plus with your background you have a HUGE advantage over most.

Again sorry for not answering your questions, but hopefully I was some what of a help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medic

Orange County (Orlando) is in need of medics they are hiring medics only but you must get firefighter with in 3 years. you should consider it i dont know of any age cap i know we had a 39 y/o in my class

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pciddy View Post
    Orange County (Orlando) is in need of medics they are hiring medics only but you must get firefighter with in 3 years. you should consider it i dont know of any age cap i know we had a 39 y/o in my class
    Just to clarify, Orlando is not hiring non-certified firefighetrs. Only Orange County, where Orlando is located, is talking about this program.
    -Rob
    Last edited by rpferry; 09-02-2008 at 11:04 PM.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is OFD hiring this year?

Hey I was just wondering if you have heard about the city hiring anymore firefighters this year off the list that they hired off of already?

Do you know if Orange County is hiring EMT/Firefighters? I passed the written, behavioral, and physical test but I continue to hear from everyone that they are only hiring Medics and haven't heard from anyone to schedule an interview.

Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Default I hope this helps and i don't come off sounding like a friggin know it all.

It doesnít seem you're getting any real answers here. I'll try to shed some light. I lived in jax and decided to do the same. I'm not ex-military, but I was a little older than most. 28 when I decided to geo to school. I'm 31 now and have been working at a department south of St. Augustine for 2 years.
    First of all, you will be able to use vet points toward a department. I donít know much about them, you'll learn. FCCJ is the school for JFRD, but itís not the only one they hire out of. Doesn't mean you'll get hired for sure and it could take a while. I know a few who have been hired on there. Longest I've heard is 6 years. Not saying that age is really a factor but you'll be 47 if it takes that long. I don't know. My advice. Go to school. Get a job anywhere you can and go from there. It's easier to get a job if you have one.
    Secondly youíre a medic. You probably already know you're a step ahead of many. That will help you anywhere. You have experience doing it too. The age deal can only help you in this aspect. I see many young guys get ff/medic and all they really have is paper. Not dissing them, just saying.
    You have basically 2 choices for school. FCTI in St. Augustine and FCCJ. Both good schools both will get you what you need. Everything else you can find out in school. Donít worry about age. We have a guy who started when he was 41. You have experience. Itís not like the service, so much, where they specialize in molding young guys into what that want. Itís seems the FD is happy to get people with some life experience and drive.
    I hope this helped some. I donít know much about anything really, but I did go through this process and got a job. I thought I was too old. Good luck. Sounds like youíll be working in no time.

Just like to say thanks for the advice/replies. Sounds like I should have good shot at getting in the service.

Will

Forum Member

I dont believe there is any age discrimination allowed in Florida. I remember, more than once, seeing a cop on "COPS" say he moved to Florida to become a cop because there was age discrimination in the North east.

Doesn't mean a 70 year old would be hired over 22 year old but no state law exists to discriminate against you. ** I THINK **

Forum Member

With your DD-214, NREMT-P, and good physical condition I don't think you will have a terrible time finding work. I work with two former military full career guys who were hired 40+.

Forum Member

Will352,

Just a thought but might want to look into maybe volunteer fire, could help get a foot in the door. I believe its night training, which help's if you have a job.

Or maybe this, Jacksonville might have a similar program
    http://www.marioncountyfl.org/FireRe...t_academy.aspx

Best of luck
    Last edited by ctrlaltdelete; 02-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information