MembersZone Subscriber

Default Your opinion please.

Ok so we had a structure fire tonight. 2 story structure, Flames showing from 1 and 2 floor on B & C side of structure. Smoke throughout structure.

My partner and I got the rear structure knocked down w/ a 1 3/4 line without to much difficulty. Second story B/C corner was put out well due to angle. And yes I tried my best to indirectly hit the fire. No dice though. So I was told to set up another ladder at the B/A corner window, take a line inside, search for possible victims and try to knock down B/C corner from inside.

Well myself and 3 other FF from another company got inside and made our way down the hall way, knowing that we had an escape route from which we came in and also another escape route through the A side window that was close to A/B corner with a ladder.

Well we were in there for approx. 5 minutes when it started getting really hot. Apparently the fire had gone right over us and was blowing through the roof.

Command blew the evacuation siren and I lead my team back to the entrance window from wince we came. Command blew the siren again, which for us means get H3LL out!! well I had 2 FF blocking the entrance window and had 3rd FF waiting to get out, well I told that FF to go out the A side window that was near the A/B corner and go down the ladder setup there. I to went out this window.

Got on the ground and I had an officer up my butt telling I should have gone out the same window as the other 2. I told him that we could not wait for those guys to get because it was getting extremely hot in there and was time to get out, besides the siren had gone off twice and that means evacuate immediately. He did like that answer and scolded off. I was waiting for him to tell me to go back to fire school. I wasn't given the opportunity to find him and let him know that we were all out.

My question is this...

What would you have done in this situation? Would you have found an alternate route or wait?

Be brutal. I'm a big boy and can accept if I'm wrong.

Besides I've taken his advice into account anyway. I'd probably do the same thing again but made sure I got to him a little faster letting him know we were all out.

What do you think?
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

You were in the room. He wasn't.
    You got out safely and were able to post the story.

Good enough answer for you?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

When the poop hits the fan, and the everybody out is sounded, you get the h3ll out, period. In the end, does it matter how you got out? No. As long as you still have all your fingers and toes, and that you meet up with your team (sector boss, company officer, whatever) and then ultimately the accountability officer.

Was this clown a member of your company? If not, do you know who he was? Did you report the incident through your chain of command? Make sure your chief knows about it.

If he is a member of your company, next time you see him (perhaps at a drill or whenever) and approach him in a non-confrontational manner, ask for a moment of his time, and go someplace where you can be alone. Ask him what that was all about- what did you do that got him so excited? Find out his side of the story, listen, and try to come to amicable conclusion.

It might be hard, but also indicate to him that the fireground is NOT the place to issue a scolding. Let him know next time to wait for an opportunity to do it quietly and in private, or the next time you will call HIM on the carpet in front of the Chief.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

any other opinions?
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

Forum Member

From you first post you stated taht the other firefighters were getting out the window. So you can safely assume that they were going to get out. I think you did no wrong and no one was hurt. If they hadn't been escaping and you left them that is a different story.

Let's talk fire trucks!

You did what you what you had to do to get out safely. Would he have rather you remained in the room and suffered burns, simply because your original means of entry/egress was blocked?

I say good job making a decision in the heat of battle (no pun intended).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

here is a picture of me kneeling at the window that i exited along with the FF goin down the ladder. I stayed there to make sure my crew was out.

Photobucket

this is why they sounded the evacuation, apparently the attic had flashed over.

Photobucket

Forum Member

Nice pics.

Forum Member

I agree with the general consensus here. Why have a secondary means of egress if you are not going to use it when you have to. Some people just have to be right though, even when they are clearly wrong.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Perhaps not your call, but the primary search should have been attempted or accomplished BEFORE you tried to extinguish any of the fire from the exterior.

Maybe it looked worse before the pictures were taken, but I cannot see a reason to be blowing horns or sirens ordering everyone out of the building.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Robert I agree ..............on both counts.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not 100% sure on the reason they blew the evacuation siren, but from my understanding is they didn't want anyone inside due to the possiblity of flashover and they had setup a master stream from station 100 and didn't want anyone getting hit with 800 gal. per minute.

I had done a primary search on the second floor. unfortunately only was able when more crews got on scene. That was why we did a knock down before a search on the 2nd floor.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Well we were in there for approx. 5 minutes when it started getting really hot. Apparently the fire had gone right over us and was blowing through the roof.

Command blew the evacuation siren and I lead my team back to the entrance window from wince we came. Command blew the siren again, which for us means get H3LL out!!
    Sudden change in fire conditions, coupled with someone outside indicating that you need to leave, and NOW, I see no issue here.
    At all.

Sounds like homeboy needs the stick that was implanted in his rectal cavity to be removed. ASAP.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, but he's i think was more worried about his guys i'd assume. I just wanted to make sure i was right in my decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the opinions all. I appreciate it a lot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Chris...Everyone got out alive and unhurt...you should sleep well tonight. So should the officer(s). Some things don't always matter in every situation...that was probably one of them.
    Last edited by davjohnson; 08-29-2008 at 09:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone Goes Home.

Everyone did. You did what you had to do to get out. If there was no urgency to get out, sure, take your time and follow the others. On the other hand, if you have to get out, and get out NOW, you do it by any means necessary. Plus, you did your duty to make sure everyone got out. I say good job!

I don't see a problem here.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by davjohnson View Post
    Chris...Everyone got out alive and unhurt...you should sleep well tonight. So should the officer(s). Some things don't always matter in every situation...that was probably one of them.
    Oh I slept well...lol Just a little aggravating when someone tells you one thing when you know the answer is another. But it is what it is i guess. I do the same thing I do know that.

Forum Member

Explain to him one of the basics of physics, no two pieces of matter can occupy the same space at the same time!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Explain to him one of the basics of physics, no two pieces of matter can occupy the same space at the same time!
    lmao....wish I would have thought of that...lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that you need to talk to the parties involved about the issue you have with their decision and their comments. This is not the place and nothing good will come of this post when they get wind of it.

As for the fire, hoselines should go in the way people go in, up the interior stairs to the fire.
    Last edited by jfTL41; 08-30-2008 at 10:17 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    I think that you need to talk to the parties involved about the issue you have with their decision and their comments. This is not the place and nothing good will come of this post when they get wind of it.

As for the fire, hoselines should go in the way people go in, up the interior stairs to the fire.
    We would have gone up the interior stair if their were any...lol they had burnt out prior to our arrival. thus the ladder placement.

As far as talking with the guy. I don't want to say anything without a load gun. If I'm wrong I'll take it, but if I'm right then I'll say something. So far the opinions of other (not just on here) have been I've made the right choice considering the situation. Now I may say something to him in a professional manner.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I really don't think you need a loaded gun. Things have settled down now and I think the persons involved would see your point and maybe you can see their point as well. Ask Steve what he thinks about it. He was there with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

OOPS!!!! duplicate post

MembersZone Subscriber

A quick fix for burnt out interior stairs is to replace them with a portable ladder.

Thread Information