Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Jr.s/Explorers using lights?

I know there was a thread about Jr. FF's and Explorers and blue lights but I was talking to a buddy and his Dept. allows the Jr.s to respond with lights and during school if they have good grades. I think thats insane, I mean he could be bulls**ting. Does anyone else know of anthing like this?
    Last edited by FDNYexp6012; 08-28-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo

Never heard of it, and I agree with you, it's insane. There is no reason for any junior to have a light.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default our company allows it

our fire company allows juniors to have blue lights, however every junior is put on notice about it and that they must drive carefully. the fire company in the next town over doesn't allow it but they used to, but that changed due to a few "incidents." I will tell you that NJ has some of the rudest drivers out there and i too am a junior and have blue lights and people still don't pay attention out there. as a junior if you buy a blue light you usually get labeled as a whacker. however i was told by the co. officers to get one when i joined at 16 because i live 3 miles from the firehouse and would never get there in time to learn and help. most juniors get them when they turn 17 since thats the age you can get a license in nj. as i have noticed blue lights can be helpful and hurtful and it requires a lot of responsibility on the part of the driver who is operating the lights.

You learn on drill nights.

Aigh, this is gonna be ugly...
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

So it comes back to this.......................... .. the gradual decline has bottomed out.

We are back on the topic of juniors with lights......
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I don't think that it is a good idea. At the age of sixteen just learing how to drive there is no reason for them to using lights on there vehicles. Once they get to the station they are not going to beable to do much so why do they need to be in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    So it comes back to this.......................... .. the gradual decline has bottomed out.

We are back on the topic of juniors with lights......
    I think lights are an important piece of equipment to have, but people should only use them during those times when they are really necessary...Even juniors.

Hell, if a junior showed up without one, I'd be ****ed!

...We are talking about FLASHLIGHTS here, aren't we?! We'd better be, because there's NO WAY IN HELL a kid should have any other kind of light on their POV!!!!!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Quote Originally Posted by NFD1957 View Post
    our fire company allows juniors to have blue lights, however every junior is put on notice about it and that they must drive carefully. the fire company in the next town over doesn't allow it but they used to, but that changed due to a few "incidents." I will tell you that NJ has some of the rudest drivers out there and i too am a junior and have blue lights and people still don't pay attention out there. as a junior if you buy a blue light you usually get labeled as a whacker. however i was told by the co. officers to get one when i joined at 16 because i live 3 miles from the firehouse and would never get there in time to learn and help. most juniors get them when they turn 17 since thats the age you can get a license in nj. as i have noticed blue lights can be helpful and hurtful and it requires a lot of responsibility on the part of the driver who is operating the lights.
    So you need lights to get to training on time?? That's where your learning should be taking place. Shouldn't need a light for that. Your not required to be on scene or on a first due truck to help so once again, no need for your light.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Im not trying to sirr up anything, I just wanted to know if anyone heard of Jr.s with lights in thier POV that are allowed to respond during school. I personally think its a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYexp6012 View Post
    Im not trying to sirr up anything, I just wanted to know if anyone heard of Jr.s with lights in thier POV that are allowed to respond during school. I personally think its a recipe for disaster.
    If you didnt want to stir anything you could have gotten your answers from the old threads.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

To borrow from ChiefGonzo...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

WHY, WHY, WHY? I just don't get it. Going to a call at the age of 16 and or 17 with a red light in you chevette or mommy and daddies car is not cool. I understand the role of a jr ff. They can be an asset to a dept but not responding to calls. There are not to many roles that a jr can fill on the fireground. About the only one I can think of is handing out bottles of water.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    WHY, WHY, WHY? I just don't get it. Going to a call at the age of 16 and or 17 with a red light in you chevette or mommy and daddies car is not cool. I understand the role of a jr ff. They can be an asset to a dept but not responding to calls. There are not to many roles that a jr can fill on the fireground. About the only one I can think of is handing out bottles of water.
    if you don't get it then why are you posting. 2, all juniors that have lights that i know, own their cars and are at least 17. 3, if you can't think of what juniors can do on fireground then you need to do more research. the juniors i know that have lights all have fire 1 cert. lets not get this into another argument about juniors and their usefulness. by the way its first aid squad members who hand out water bottles, not juniors.

Forum Member

Juniors NOT explorers can use lights I guess.

Let's assume that those departments that allow it have a reason, but I agree it sounds like a bad idea.

if you don't get it then why are you posting. 2, all juniors that have lights that i know, own their cars and are at least 17. 3, if you can't think of what juniors can do on fireground then you need to do more research. the juniors i know that have lights all have fire 1 cert. lets not get this into another argument about juniors and their usefulness. by the way its first aid squad members who hand out water bottles, not juniors.
    Please junior, enlighten us. I'm listening.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

So just out of curiosity what can these juniors you speak of with fire 1 cert do on a fire scene?? I would love to know what is so important that they(or any junior) need lights to respond to calls with. I can't think of anything unless they are front line firefighters, in which case you have much larger problems than lights. Please tell us who obviously need to do more research how it really is.

Must be nice to be from your area if all your firefighter buddy's with lights own a car at 17 years old.

Ryan

Forum Member

however i was told by the co. officers to get one when i joined at 16 because i live 3 miles from the firehouse and would never get there in time to learn and help. most juniors get them when they turn 17 since thats the age you can get a license in nj.
    First of all, just go away for your own good here. This crap has been covered in the past and no one ever supporting juniors responding to calls have come out on the good end. This is just fair warning.

#1 your company officers are morons then if they are telling you to get a light so you can make it to the station to learn and help. You can drive to the fire scene, non emergent, if you want to help so bad. Telling juniors to get emergency lights when they are very limited on the fireground is irresponsible at best.

#2 Seems there are many, many, many firefighters out there who never started as a junior and went to fire training on their own or through a dept. Yet they are perfectly capable of doing the job. How could they have been so effecient if they didn't respond to the station to *gasp* learn?

#3 So you turn 17 and get your license. Even more reason NOT to have a light. You barely have any experience driving as it is, let alone the unpredictible behavior of other drivers, how to drive in a variety of conditions and so forth. I'm also doubting you have any EVOC course or other type of emergency vehicle operator training.

Again, you're best bet is to just go away here. Find something else to defend or something else to comment on. Defending lights on a POV as a junior or explorer is absolutely ridiculous.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will tell you that NJ has some of the rudest drivers out there and i too am a junior and have blue lights and people still don't pay attention out there. as a junior if you buy a blue light you usually get labeled as a whacker. however i was told by the co. officers to get one when i joined at 16 because i live 3 miles from the firehouse and would never get there in time to learn and help.
    I will not insult you. I will simply tell you that the NJ state statute requires you to get a permit from your Chief prior to using the lights. It also mentions that regular members of the FD can get them. There is no lanquage allowing juniors to have them.

The statute also calls for them to be used in the case of emergency response. "Learning" and "helping" are not considered an emergency.

Sit tight. Your day will come.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

I can understand why juniors shouldn't be using lights, but I don't see the reason for juniors using lights considering they don't really do anything. In NY State the blue light doesn't mean anything, its just a indicator that a vollie FF is responding and yield as a courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I will not insult you. I will simply tell you that the NJ state statute requires you to get a permit from your Chief prior to using the lights. It also mentions that regular members of the FD can get them. There is no lanquage allowing juniors to have them.

The statute also calls for them to be used in the case of emergency response. "Learning" and "helping" are not considered an emergency.

Sit tight. Your day will come.
    GEORGE!!

Your account got hacked!

There is someone nice posting!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information