MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Fema Prepares To Respond To Gustav

FEMA Prepares To Respond To Gustav. Tropical Storm Gains Strength, Heads Toward Gulf Coast

POSTED: 11:16 am EDT August 28, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:40 pm EDT August 28, 2008

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency is keeping a close watch on Tropical Storm Gustav as it gains strength and heads to the Gulf Coast.

Forecasters expect Gustav to become a hurricane later Thursday and a major hurricane later this weekend.

The storm is projected to hit the Gulf Coast at the end of Labor Day weekend, and with the third anniversary of Hurricane Katrina looming, cities along the Gulf Coast are not taking the threat of Gustav lightly.

In Louisiana, National Guard troops are standing by while batteries and water bottles are selling briskly in stores from south Texas to Florida's panhandle.

In New Orleans, officials have begun preliminary planning to evacuate and lock down the city in hopes of avoiding the catastrophe that followed Katrina.

They're also warning there won't be a massive shelter at the Superdome this time.

Instead, the state has arranged for buses and trains to take about 30,000 people to safety. Nearly 8,000 people are already signed up for transportation help.

Though Gustav became a relatively weak but rainy storm, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal declared a state of emergency on forecaster's speculations that it could become a major hurricane.

Jindal said 3,000 National Guard troops will be activated and deployed a day in advance of the storm's expected landfall. An additional 2,000 troops could be called up to duty.

About 300 guard troops are already in New Orleans, working with New Orleans police to patrol neighborhoods still devastated from Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

If the storm affects oil refineries in those areas, gas prices could rise in Washington and across the country.

Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing like getting a second chance to redeem the credability of FEMA!

I only hope that wherever the storm does hit, they are prepared and the citizens of the communities take personal responsibility to prepare BEFORE the storm hits. More importantly, the community leaders need to step up and take ownership of what is coming and put resources in place.

MembersZone Subscriber

No matter how much FEMA does this year to help people prep for them, the news is going to find some poor schmuck that they didn't help and blow it totally out of proportion. It's perfect fodder for them to slam the Administration and push Obama. There was next to no blame put on Ray Nagan and the Democratic Governor, but FEMA was supposed to go in and snap their fingers and make it all better. That's not to say that they didn't screw up, but the distribution of blame was totally shifted to FEMA when there were huge mistakes made by the other people involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

no.... George Bush hates black people. That was the problem.

Kayne West said it so it must be true
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

If they are too stupid to get on the "buses and trains", then I don't wanna hear it.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Default Fema

Problem is FEMA in trying to redeem itself has turned into a response agency versus resource/coordination like orginally designed. We have had more snow and ice storm disasters then in history, FEMA is now going in with water and supplies ahead of time, and I don't think anybody really understands what FEMA is really supposed to do. And then they do occasionally shoot themselves in the foot with things like the fake press conference or undelivered supplies. Over the years it seems like the american public is becoming more and more dependent on government to fill their needs, and immediately. Several weeks ago I was out after a pretty good thunderstorm with lots of calls, and went to a house where the occupants didn't even have a flashlight or any other emergency lighting in the house. They called because the battery was dead in their CO detector which was beeping, and the first thing they asked me was when the power was coming back on.

I hope this storm just goes away; I hope people in the gulf are better prepared and take caution; and I hope people who have or are still reconstructing their lives don't suffer any setbacks. I will pray for everybody in the path tonight.

Forum Member

We had guys leave last night about 1800 heading down.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

I feel sorry for the people living in the cities and towns where the "displaced" will be shacked up. My brother-in-law lives in the post Katrina Houston.......
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

NYTF1 depolyed a type 3 team today of about 35.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The County pushed out an email last night requesting station resource coordinators to canvass their staffs for those who wish to volunteer to either prepare for possible deployment south, or to assist with staffing for those units/personnel that might deploy. Looks like some folks in high places are taking this one very seriously - at least on the surface anyhow.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I don't want my tax money used to rebuild this area AGAIN. If it floods, bulldoze it and move further north-French Quarter or no French Quarter.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Personally, I don't want my tax money used to rebuild this area AGAIN. If it floods, bulldoze it and move further north-French Quarter or no French Quarter.
    Be sure to mark that down on next years tax return. I am sure they will give your idea some serious consideration.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

The latest track seems to indicate that the Acadiana region of Louisisna has the bullseye. The people of this area are good, kind, caring people. Our Brothers and Sisters in the Lafayette area are going to have their hands full.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    NYTF1 depolyed a type 3 team today of about 35.
    Ours deployed yesterday as well.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

We had teams from our county go down and assist EMS and fire in the Biloxi and Waveland areas after Katrina. I'm not sure if we are going to send anyone this year (mostly because our manpower will be needed here if anything happens, mostly because we do not have as many members then as we do now). But I know at my full time job at 911 we are going to put more people on phones than we usually do and have beds and stuff here so we basically do not have to leave.

Forum Member

I'll be leaving my house before midnight. I evaced for Katrinia and I'm getting out for this one too. I plan on driving into Baton Rouge to the hospital where I work. I'm not scheduled to work at the hospital until Wednesday evening but several hospital employees are sheltering there with family and even their pets. My lady and I are almost finished packing our important items into the car. I'm gonna take a nap then we are going to put the cats in their crates in the back of the car and get out. I have trees on the east side of my trailer lot. IF my home doesn't get blown off it's foundation I still stand a very good chance of having a tree crash right through my house. I hope I have a home to come home to.
    Wish me luck.
    Steve
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

any ideas where to sign up to go help??

makes good girls go bad

Steve, best of luck to you, and everyone else down there.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's do the math.....

FEMA + Gustav =
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Banned

FEMA didn't screw it up for Katrina, that was the governor and Mayor of New Orleans at the time. This time FEMA is going in without having to be asked. The good news is that they have taken so long to rebuild everything that loses will be lower. I do agree, when the levees break, leave them broken. Simply move all of those people to higher ground.

Forum Member

Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Went down to Baton Rouge as part of LA Medical District 7 Response Team Friday morning at 0400 and started doing evacaution transports at 0900 from the area west of NO to Baton Rouge, Alexandria LA, Shreveport, LA and one to Jackson, MS. Was released this morning at 0600 from Baton Rouge and got back about 1000.

Subject to recall tonight by my ambo at 1700 tonight for the remnants hitting here. Expecting 40-50 MPH winds with about 12" of rain over 36" hours, which is downgraded from earlier expectations of 70 MPH winds and 16" over 24 hours. If they don't call me, in I'll respond with my fire district if needed unless I'm seriously passed out. With luck, the ambo won't need me tonight as they have the 5 shift trucks plus 5 extra trucks staffed for overnight.

Working 12 hour days the next 3 days (scheduled to be off) dealing with evacuation shelter transports, then back on shift Friday with continuining mandatory 12-hour days on days off, until here shelters are empty and stretcher patients are transported back, which may take quite awhile.

State was very organized in terms of planning and exicution. There were plenty of ambos supplemented by fixed and chopper air transport. Staging was organized and assignments were clear. I was quite surprised.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Went down to Baton Rouge as part of LA Medical District 7 Response Team Friday morning at 0400 and started doing evacaution transports at 0900 from the area west of NO to Baton Rouge, Alexandria LA, Shreveport, LA and one to Jackson, MS. Was released this morning at 0600 from Baton Rouge and got back about 1000.

Subject to recall tonight by my ambo at 1700 tonight for the remnants hitting here. Expecting 40-50 MPH winds with about 12" of rain over 36" hours, which is downgraded from earlier expectations of 70 MPH winds and 16" over 24 hours. If they don't call me, in I'll respond with my fire district if needed unless I'm seriously passed out. With luck, the ambo won't need me tonight as they have the 5 shift trucks plus 5 extra trucks staffed for overnight.

Working 12 hour days the next 3 days (scheduled to be off) dealing with evacuation shelter transports, then back on shift Friday with continuining mandatory 12-hour days on days off, until here shelters are empty and stretcher patients are transported back, which may take quite awhile.

State was very organized in terms of planning and exicution. There were plenty of ambos supplemented by fixed and chopper air transport. Staging was organized and assignments were clear. I was quite surprised.
    Glad everything going smooth, Good Luck
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

We may have our differences, but I sincerely wish you well. Sounds like you are in for a long few days even up on the northern end.

Good luck. Be safe.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
    Nothing like getting a second chance to redeem the credability of FEMA!

You know, it really is funny and odd. When you talk to people who actually work for FEMA, are a part of FEMA deployments, and were actually feet on the ground down there, the story is a bit different.

FEMA was there and did their job.

Thread Information