Thread: New Hurricaine

Forum Member

Default New Hurricaine

Okay so how bad is this going to get, Are the sataes going to predeploy teams, or just wait to see how far they can get behind.

Forum Member

So far it's 'Put your gear on and wait for it". They say the National Guard has been activated and supplies have been readied but I htink they're waiting a little longer to see which way it turns. Right now they THINK New Orleans but this thing could turn anytime. Computer models have been wrong before.

Keepin it real

On "ADVISORY" with sign-ups for the next two weeks for those available, saw on the news last night that Phila. Fire sent down 5 Ambulances staffed with 2 firefighters and two Paramedics on each.... More of a wait and see this time around.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

I'm trying to get in touch with some collegues to see who would be willing to take the trip to help where we can.

Forum Member

NJTF-1 Just got called out for swift water right.

Keepin it real

No, just availability of team members for the next two weeks only.

With the evacuations there might not be a need like during Katrina for a mass deployment of swiftwater resources.
    Last edited by NJTF1Bowman; 08-31-2008 at 10:30 AM.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

Forum Member

Cool ya we are thinking if we are not called today then there is no need. They will call the fed's out first to redeem themselves and it's free.

NJTF did you come down to louisville ky and do a tunnel class for us?

Forum Member

so my fire dept has been throwing around sending a team down to the gulf to help out... we got a crew of 4.. now who would we contact to advise of our avability or do you have to be contracted by fema? we are confused how we can help out..

Keepin it real

I stand corrected, Just got the alert call for swiftwater. Two type 1 swiftwater teams to be deployed within 24 hours for 14 days.

fire41108, sorry wasn't me I haven't been teaching since 2002 and that was at the county fire school.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wanna help....

anyone know how to sign up to go help if needed?
    <br>
    Didnt see anything on FEMA's website but I am willing to leave to help

Keepin it real

requests for teams so far are going thru EMAC "Emergency Management Assistance Compact" http://www.emacweb.org/
    Last edited by NJTF1Bowman; 09-01-2008 at 11:26 PM.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

Forum Member

When the emac for water teams came out last night we put in for it. We are a Type I team. But what I am hereing now is that our state EOC wont send us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Hurricane

Come-on guys we know what is going to happen. Fema will take there sweet old time again........... Remember it is the federal government we are talking about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sfdtoto08 View Post
    Come-on guys we know what is going to happen. Fema will take there sweet old time again........... Remember it is the federal government we are talking about.
    FEMA IMAT's are already positioned, supplies are already postioned, and employees are all on alert. Without knowing exactly where or what its pretty hard to do anymore.

The FEMA Firefighter Call-Up program like we saw for Katrina simply won't happen this time. Most employees are already on alert or have received assignments for when the get the word to go.

If you want to go be a firefighter, utilize EMAC or any other calls for assistance.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm trying to get in touch with some collegues to see who would be willing to take the trip to help where we can.
    You can help by not going down unless requested, and no offense but not being from the United States that isn't likely.
    so my fire dept has been throwing around sending a team down to the gulf to help out... we got a crew of 4.. now who would we contact to advise of our avability or do you have to be contracted by fema? we are confused how we can help out..
    You can help by arranging that kind of aid for next year's season. This is a huge logistics problem and the last thing FEMA needs is a bunch of departments and guys with good intentions comming down when not called for. When this area was hit three years ago why didn't you start making arrangements then? With luck enough people remember what happened with Katrina and they get the hell out.
    Then when the waters go back down get a group of guys, meet up with the thousands of church groups or habitat for humanities and head down to help clean up and rebuilding.
    If you are not part of the system already then you will contribute to the problem. Don't go unless asked for.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post

If you are not part of the system already then you will contribute to the problem. Don't go unless asked for.

Hey, somebody paid attention when they discussed "self deployment" in ICS classes. You are so right, don't complicate things by just deciding to show up.

Forum Member

i am pretty worried for all them down there.

Keepin it real

Heads up we're not done yet. Hurricane Hanna is coming, along with at this time TS Ike. Projected path for Hanna is the east coast from Fla. to SC. Outer Banks.

9/11/01 NYC WTC

Forum Member

I know they asked for & SWRT teams I dont think they were are fill thu EMAC does anyone know. I know they took off NC for the request but kept NJ and FL.

NJTF do you have a e-mail address I can contactyou on I wouyld like to run a few things pass you. you can e-mail me at kmoulton@zonetonfire.com

Forum Member

Don't look now guys but right behind Hanna is Ike and behind that is Josephine. She just spun up off the coast of Africa today and appears to be following the same general track. We on the east coast might be a little wet for the next 2-3 weeks. I just hope wet is all we get.

Forum Member

yeah all the state agencies around here are pretty much playing a waiting game seeing if ole governor is gonna call the interagency task forces into action

read today that savannah hasnt been hit by a major hurricane in a century
    this could get ugly for us GA boys
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning View Post
    FEMA IMAT's are already positioned, supplies are already postioned, and employees are all on alert. Without knowing exactly where or what its pretty hard to do anymore.

The FEMA Firefighter Call-Up program like we saw for Katrina simply won't happen this time. Most employees are already on alert or have received assignments for when the get the word to go.

If you want to go be a firefighter, utilize EMAC or any other calls for assistance.
    I want to see the line item in FEMA's budget titled "Don't Look Stupid Again account". Now our guys are being told they may be staged in Atlanta to see if Hannah rips up the east coast. They're paying those team members to hang out and wait since they didn't need them for Gustav.

Forum Member

It's probably in the same line as the Iraq war. You know the one, the 'Don't worry about it, we'll get the funds from somewhere' line.

Forum Member

I am so glad there are people ready to help and such... and then their are few that just like to make fun of the government... Fema had everything in place and few hiccups on locations but supplies have been flowing in to the areas on pretty regular bases now... Everyone Learned from mistakes made but if you don't live in this area that was hit - all you saw and heard was about the mistakes made from FEMA - but FEMA can't come in until the Governor request them... which was after Katrina hit... This time it was ask for 2 days prior to the storm hitting.. Everyone makes mistakes and hopefully everyone learns from them and don't do them again..

With everyone stretched to their limits - here comes IKE looking more powerful than Katrina...

People tend to forget the local fire departments, ambulance services, police, sheriff, hospitals and such - still have to do their jobs to serve and protect and some of them working knowing that they have damage to their homes, their families homes.. Making sure they provide for their families but also help everyone else too...

Most of the people that make fun and jokes - one never been through a tornado, hurricanne, a flood... Mistakes are made but since those mistake been made - new and better plans were put in place and they got a lot of people out of town before something happened.. And it looks like again we are going to see it depending on where IKE decides he wants to visit next after Cuba... I rather paid someone to be on standby in case to go somewhere - then to try to find them and they were needed yesterday... All jokes aside these are people lives and well being.. Most still dont have power... Electric company is saying I wont have power for another 14 to 21 days do the remote area where the lines are down.. I havent been able to go home to assess the damage and help my wife who is home without power, without a generator, while I am at work helping others... So far FEMA has done their job.. Inspector was at the house yesterday... I been through many of hurricanes since living in Louisiana and this is the first time I took damage so I been lucky... But know all the facts before the jokes and comments.... and put blame were it belongs and not where the news put the blame...

Thread Information