To be fair while your district had the lowest budget at $400,000 your tax rate was the fifth highest of the nine districts at .514 cents per $100 of acessed value. The highest district with a five million plus dollar budget and almost thirty paid firefighters has a rate of .77 per $100. The two lowest districts each with almost two million dollar budgets and a few full time inspectors each have rates of .284 per $100 and .299 per $100.
    So since your district does not have the geographical size or tax base the impact to the taxes is larger.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    My plan to have our Mack/Baker Aerialscope refurbed/remounted was turned down by other members of the department and by the fire commisoners.Instead there will be a special fire district election to be held on Sept 13, 2008 to approve or disapprove the following: Shall the fire district be authorized to purchase a new Tower Ladder Quint fire truck in 2009 and issue bonds in an amount not to exceed $ 1,025,000 to finance such purchase.Now it will be up to the voters to pass or turn down the new apparatus, a refurb/remount could have saved the town $ 300,000 !!
    How did your election go? I cant find the results online anywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by affd046 View Post
    How did your election go? I cant find the results online anywhere.
    The board of fire commissioners had " CANCELLED " the special election to purchase a new tower ladder a few days before the vote was to take place. They say that we don't need a aerial apparatus, as our Mack/baker 75' sits in the fire house out of service because they let the vehicle insurance expire and can not be used if a fire breakes out. I will keep everyone up to date with the latest news, there is a board meeting on 9/23/08 starting at 7: pm !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 09-21-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Forum Member

Just make sure that whatever you do, you dont let a Mfr. Sales Rep write your specs for you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Post hey, FWDBUFF

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just make sure that whatever you do, you dont let a Mfr. Sales Rep write your specs for you.
    The specs read something like this: A 75' midmount platform device, built with box boom construction with a Max O.A.L. of 42', how many bidders do you think there will be .We hope to have some residents,taxpayers at the meeting to see all the problems we are having with the board of fire commissioners that were elected by the voters.
    The only people at the meetings are the firefighters !!
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 09-21-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Forum Member

Post New Tower Update

After a 3 hour open public meeting with the 5 Board Of Fire Commissioners, residents, firefighters, and mutual aid, the board voted 4-1 in favor of getting a new 75' tower ladder to cost $ 950,000 plus. now a election must be advertized in the local news paper 21 days before the election date when the taxpayers will go to decide a ( YES or NO ) on a $ 1,0000.25 bond issue . If the vote fails it's back to the drawing board again and maybe purchase a rebuilt or used apparatus !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 09-26-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Forum Member

I was looking for some info online about your company, but apparently Keasbey doesn't have a website. Anyway, from what I can tell, you guys are one of nine districts in the township? What is the size of your district, how many fire calls (not EMS) a year do you run to, and how many of those are legit working fires (your own, not mutual aid)? I'm curious because looking at the site below, you guys are surrounded by aerials, including from what I can see at least 2 tower ladders (1 rearmount, 1 midmount) and 3 rearmount sticks. How much of a need is there, really, given that your Scope has apparently been in mothballs? Would it not be more cost effective for the taxpayers of the township for you guys to just arrange AMA with a neighboring district for an aerial? Are all the companies in the township that busy with working fires that you each have to have your own aerial?

http://mhswebtvprinting.tripod.com/w...emergserv.html

Forum Member

Post Not every district has a LADDER !

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6 View Post
    I was looking for some info online about your company, but apparently Keasbey doesn't have a website. Anyway, from what I can tell, you guys are one of nine districts in the township? What is the size of your district, how many fire calls (not EMS) a year do you run to, and how many of those are legit working fires (your own, not mutual aid)? I'm curious because looking at the site below, you guys are surrounded by aerials, including from what I can see at least 2 tower ladders (1 rearmount, 1 midmount) and 3 rearmount sticks. How much of a need is there, really, given that your Scope has apparently been in mothballs? Would it not be more cost effective for the taxpayers of the township for you guys to just arrange AMA with a neighboring district for an aerial? Are all the companies in the township that busy with working fires that you each have to have your own aerial?

http://mhswebtvprinting.tripod.com/w...emergserv.html
    We have been a ladder company for over 23 years with our Mack/Baker 75' Scope, we avg 350-400 calls per year as we run together with district #8. Our tower is the only aerial in the southern section of Woodbridge Twp which covers Fords, Keasbey & Hopelawn. We have mutual aid from the city of Perth Amboy if a second truck is needed. The Woodbridge Township mutual aid coordinator ( MAC ) is in charge of moving apparatus to and from any location in the township when there is a structure fire and not the fire chief on scene. Also it is very difficuct to get a 100 ft aerial ladder into most of our garden appartment complexes with the very narrow streets and parking lots after 2 engines have layed hose lines down for supply. A 75' MM platform is about the only size apparatus that can maneuver threw our small streets in the fire district #4 & #8. Our firefighters have tried to save the taxpayers money buy purchasing a used 1991 Mack Baker Aerialscope for $ 59,990 (2-3 months )back, we put a $ 1,000 deposit down with our own money and were going to local business owners for donations to cover the cost of the apparatus. The board of fire commissioners was against the idea and told us that we would be sued if we bring that truck into the fire house, this is the apparatus we looked at !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 08-16-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    We have been a ladder company for over 23 years with our Mack/Baker 75' Scope, we avg 350-400 calls per year as we run together with district #8. Our tower is the only aerial in the southern section of Woodbridge Twp which covers Fords, Keasbey & Hopelawn. We have mutual aid from the city of Perth Amboy if a second truck is needed. The Woodbridge Township mutual aid coordinator ( MAC ) is in charge of moving apparatus to and from any location in the township when there is a structure fire and not the fire chief on scene. Also it is very difficuct to get a 100 ft aerial ladder into most of our garden appartment complexes with the very narrow streets and parking lots after 2 engines have layed hose lines down for supply. A 75' MM platform is about the only size apparatus that can maneuver threw our small streets in the fire district 4 & 8 !
    Sounds like you need to call Tony and get a shopping cart. :-}
    Then you wouldn't need to worry about maneuverability in your garden apts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Sounds like you need to call Tony and get a shopping cart. :-}
    Then you wouldn't need to worry about maneuverability in your garden apts.
    The board of fire commissioners has a bid from Seagrave Aerialscope costing $ 950,000 for a (2009) model 75ft Aerialscope with ( no pump or water tank ). Next year it is going up a extra $ 30,000 we were told !In the year 2010 the whole Township Of Woodbridge is going to change radio systems to a " TRUNKED SYSTEM " with every police car , ems vehicle , fire truck , hand held portables , base stations, needing new equipment etc. at a cost of $ 10 MILLION that will be put on the taxpayers !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 09-28-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THTMAN View Post
    Anyone know how Hershey, PA likes the refurb of their Aerialscope? Also did they reuse the body and only replace the chassis or did they replace both?

Hershey did a re-mount like we did onto a Pierce chassis. I understand they had a few gliches when it first came in but they should be taken care of by now.
    http://www.hersheyfire.org/apparatus.html

I've heard that Harrisburg is now doing the same.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Woody, could you please realign the zeros or comma on the radio figure please. Can't tell what they're paying.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    Hershey did a re-mount like we did onto a Pierce chassis. I understand they had a few gliches when it first came in but they should be taken care of by now.
    http://www.hersheyfire.org/apparatus.html

I've heard that Harrisburg is now doing the same.
    The board turned down my idea to refurb/remount the old Scope, they said that they did not want to put " OLD JUNK " on a new chassis cab !

Forum Member

Smile Ladder Truck Makes Front Page News!

In todays sunday paper the Homenews Tribune there is a story on our department trying to purchase a new tower ladder apparatus, www.mycentraljersey.com can someone post the story on this tread ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Dispute heats up in Woodbridge over vote to buy $1 million fire truck

By RICK MALWITZ
    STAFF WRITER

The Board of Commissioners of Fire District 4 in Keasbey concluded a contentious three-hour meeting this week by voting to allow the residents of Keasbey to decide if they should spend as much as $1.025 million to purchase a new ladder truck.

A new truck would replace a 1971 model that has been out of commission since Friday, Sept. 5, when it was learned the ladder truck had been going on service calls without insurance since January, and without registration since February.

The commissioners voted by a 4-1 margin Tuesday, Sept. 23 to hold a special election that is likely to take place Saturday, Oct. 25. If the voters approve the proposal the homeowners will see their local property tax increased by about $100 annually for 10 years, according to Tom Kolarick, chief of the fire company.

Though the volunteers who operate the truck would not reject a new model, several members made clear Tuesday night they would be satisfied with a refurbished model - as it has done since 1984, when it purchased its existing ladder truck from the Fire Department of New York.

"If we did that way again it'd be much easier on the taxpayers," said Thomas Barry, president of the fire company.

The lone member of the board to vote against holding a special election was Bill Kunie, who said a $1 million truck is not needed, and is too expensive for residents of Keasbey.

He said when the Woodbridge Fire Department purchased a ladder truck the cost was absorbed by 20,000 residents in Woodbridge proper, while the Keasbey section of the township has only 2,000 residents.

Woodbridge has $756 million in ratables, nearly 10 times greater than Keasbey's $76 million. The fire district budget for Woodbridge, $5.3 million, dwarfs Keasbey's $389,000.

Two years ago the Woodbridge Fire Department obtained a 2006 American LaFrance ladder truck with a 7-year lease. The lease payments will total $706,339, said Patrick Kenny, president of the Woodbridge Board of Commissioners. After seven years the department can purchase the truck for $1.

Members of the Keasbey company went as far as shopping on their own for a used ladder truck, putting down a $1,000 deposit on a truck being sold by a department in Annandale. The sale price was $60,000, and about $500,000 would be needed to refurbish the truck.

However, commissioner Joseph Dancs threatened to sue the company, if it purchased a truck on its own.

"That's our job," said Dancs, who, during one heated exchange Tuesday night, referred to the volunteers as a "bunch of kids."

During another exchange he told Kolarick, "I drove trucks before you were born."

One firefighter demanded that Kunie apologize for calling the members "spoiled volunteers" at a previous public meeting. While Kunie acknowledged saying that, he did not apologize.

When members of the company chided Dancs for allowing the registration to lapse in February, Dancs said that should never prevent the firefighters from taking the vehicle to fight a fire.

"You ain't going to put it out with a registration," said Dancs, who volunteered to pay a fine if police gave the company a ticket for driving without a registration.

However, the truck will remain grounded until the matter of the insurance is cleared up.

Following the public meeting attorney Mark Rothman, who represented the commissioners, told Kolarick the matters of insurance and registration will be given the highest priority.

About 40 members of the public attended the meeting, though not all of them stuck it out for three hours. Most members who spoke said the commissioners should not compromise on safety, and said acquisition of a new ladder truck is a priority.

The lone voice of dissent was Angelene Fleming, a resident of South Maplewood Avenue, who said a $1 million truck was too expensivefor the taxpayers. She said when there was a fire at her home about 25 years ago a truck from Woodbridge arrived on the scene prior to the arrival of a truck from Keasbey.

Last weekend members of the department distributed flyers to residents of the Florida Grove Manor of Keasbey warning about the danger of having the ladder truck grounded.

Kunie accused those who distributed the flyers as being "fear mongers."

After Kunie cast the lone no vote on the motion to hold a special election, four yes votes were cast by commissioners Stephen Roman, Robert Kondrk, Martin Klose and Dancs.

Rick Malwitz: 732-565-7291; Rmalwitz@mycentraljersey.com

Forum Member

Post News Story, Firefighters Not Happy!

The board of fire commissioners have been hearing a lot of negative talk on the job they are doing for the fire district, the residents, taxpayers, firefighters are not very happy. as of today a special election is planned for Oct 25,08 to approve -or- disapprove the ( 1 million dollar ) new truck bond issue. Our old Mack sits in the firehouse bay and can not be used because there is no insurance, no registration, no aerial ladder test !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 10-13-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Forum Member

You ought to be having a special election to get new commissioners in office who have a clue WTF they're doing. Then have a vote on getting your current boom refurbed/remounted so you can save your taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars AND wind up with a better rig than most of the new junk that's sold today!

MembersZone Subscriber

Could you possibly go into a little more objective detail at how you arrived at that conclusion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post

Could you possibly go into a little more objective detail at how you arrived at that conclusion.

My opinion is just that, my opinion. It's hardly meant to be objective. I firmly believe based on personal experience that, if done correctly, the rebuild/refurb/remount of an older AerialScope boom that still passes all tests will perform equal to or better than some of the JUNK that is manufactured today. The new "AerialScopes" that Seagrave builds can't hold a candle to the original Baker manufactured ones, much less some of these lesser tower ladder designs out there today. I don't care if the rig is built in Germany, Appleton, Ocala or East Bum $%@#...quality is not what it once was.

Now go ahead and do what you do so well around here, Tony, and sing the praises of your German engineered wundermobile at the top of your lungs. Turn yet another thread into a free advertisement for the import, because I'm sure with the American economy as horrible as it is these days and people losing jobs right and left, guys just LOVE being force fed crap about non-USA made trucks. Maybe post a few pics of it lifting cars and all that good stuff. Maybe a few shots or video of you burning rubber with it. Or better still, one photo we HAVEN'T yet seen...the truck outside a WalMart showing just how many packages the shopping cart DOES hold!

Oh wait, that's right...by your own admission it's not even a tower ladder, even though it's clearly and deceptively marketed as such by the mere fact it has an "emergency escape bucket" on the end of the stick. So I guess trying to sell them one when they want a TRUE tower ladder isn't gonna fly, huh? Wait, there is hope yet for you! Maybe you can try selling them one of those Bronto ripoffs that just came out instead!

PS - Do you get a bonus check for each post you make on this board? Sometimes I really wonder.
    Last edited by Chauffer6; 10-06-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6 View Post
    My opinion is just that, my opinion. It's hardly meant to be objective. I firmly believe based on personal experience that, if done correctly, the rebuild/refurb/remount of an older AerialScope boom that still passes all tests will perform equal to or better than some of the JUNK that is manufactured today. The new "AerialScopes" that Seagrave builds can't hold a candle to the original Baker manufactured ones, much less some of these lesser tower ladder designs out there today. I don't care if the rig is built in Germany, Appleton, Ocala or East Bum $%@#...quality is not what it once was.

Now go ahead and do what you do so well around here, Tony, and sing the praises of your German engineered wundermobile at the top of your lungs. Turn yet another thread into a free advertisement for the import, because I'm sure with the American economy as horrible as it is these days and people losing jobs right and left, guys just LOVE being force fed crap about non-USA made trucks. Maybe post a few pics of it lifting cars and all that good stuff. Maybe a few shots or video of you burning rubber with it. Or better still, one photo we HAVEN'T yet seen...the truck outside a WalMart showing just how many packages the shopping cart DOES hold!

Oh wait, that's right...by your own admission it's not even a tower ladder, even though it's clearly and deceptively marketed as such by the mere fact it has an "emergency escape bucket" on the end of the stick. So I guess trying to sell them one when they want a TRUE tower ladder isn't gonna fly, huh? Wait, there is hope yet for you! Maybe you can try selling them one of those Bronto ripoffs that just came out instead!

PS - Do you get a bonus check for each post you make on this board? Sometimes I really wonder.

Totally uncalled for. I personally enjoy reading this mans information.

Forum Member

Wow someone's got there panties in a bunch today !

Sounds like the current board of commissioners is trying to send a message to the taxpayers a message that they don't think a tower is needed for this dept. They probably feel that the million $$ price tag will get shot down and they [commish] will have won the power ego game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow! Not what I expected to hear from you. Anyway if you notice there are plenty of late model non-Rosey Aerials for sale that meet most of the current regs for aerial apparatus. It might be more cost effective going that way plus it also gives them the chance of having an aerial ladder as opposed to a boom only. I think the biggest problem with Refurbs is what 30 year old parts do you leave and what do you replace.

I don't think anyone is turning out "junk" although some are not quite up to speed with their technology.

Your remarks about force feeding crap and guys losing jobs are way off base. The merger of the 3 US Companies who joined with Austria based Rosenbauer was a true plus for everyone involved. Nobody laid off, a work force more than doubled, product lines sold around the world that are 100% US materials and all done by a financially secure group that concentrates solely on the development of Fire Apparatus and Fire Technology.

Now, I do appreciate your help with one item. I will no longer refer to my Raptors as "Shopping Carts" the new name is "Wundermobile"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Wow someone's got there panties in a bunch today !

Sounds like the current board of commissioners is trying to send a message to the taxpayers a message that they don't think a tower is needed for this dept. They probably feel that the million $$ price tag will get shot down and they [commish] will have won the power ego game.
    A tower ladder has been in service for the last ( 23 years ) and needed, why would today be any different. 4 out of 5 commissioners voted yes to seeking " voter approval " in a special election. We would not have any problems getting a new apparatus if the board of fire commissioners had put a side funds every year from the capital budget and payed cash for new truck .A ( BOND ISSUE ) would not be needed, we will see what the taxpayers do!!

Thread Information