Forum Member

Default The Mayor Says Everybody OUt

We'll see how it goes this time. Pack your waders campers, it is going to get interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080831/...tav_gulf_coast

Banned

Not for nothing, but if you live in the area you should be watching the news and weather reports. You don't need some dumb ***** politician telling you to leave prematurely. Of course this is Gods way of saying don't build cities on the coast below sea level.

Forum Member

They shouldn't be watching anything. They should be in their car or on a bus getting the hell out.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

Storm is still a day away, they don't even know where it will land. At the least, they should have their escape plan in place. Probably sometime during the day they will have a better guess. Then decide

Forum Member

Default Time

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Storm is still a day away, they don't even know where it will land. At the least, they should have their escape plan in place. Probably sometime during the day they will have a better guess. Then decide
    You ever think it might take more than a few hours to move all those people out of harms way?

MembersZone Subscriber

The CNN headline right now from Mayor Nagin is "You need to be scared". If I was living in NOLA under Mayor Nagin, I would fear everyday of my life! Although it's probably still not as bad as our ol' Kwame in D-town.

It looks like more people are heeding the warnings now?? How crazy is it that we are so close to the anniversary of Katrina!
    Last edited by michfire; 08-31-2008 at 11:34 AM.

the 4-1-4

Maybe the mayor did learn something from Katrina. I listened to his press conference this morning and he addressed the issue of looting pretty seriously.

In any case, the people of New Orleans are in for a rough ride the next few days.

Forum Member

I think he definitely is doing better this time than he did last time. Everyone is. People learned their lesson the hard way last time and I don't think they'll make that mistake again.

But I still hope he gets washed out to sea. Along with Kanye West.

Forum Member

if we were wanting to offer my departments assistance where or how could we advise of our avability and know if they need the help?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    You ever think it might take more than a few hours to move all those people out of harms way?
    Yea, I guess those that depend on the government and are at their mercy to move them will need more time. Those who are independent and self supportive can get out in a few hours. Looks like landfall will be around midday Monday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Yea, I guess those that depend on the government and are at their mercy to move them will need more time. Those who are independent and self supportive can get out in a few hours. Looks like landfall will be around midday Monday.
    What exactly is going on in your head to make you think that two million people can evacuate the gulf coast in "a few hours"?

Banned

Those same 2 million people get to work every day don't they? Realize, they aren't all going to leave on the same roads.

Forum Member

Right, and all 2 million leave and head north at once. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, but thank you for the entertainment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    if we were wanting to offer my departments assistance where or how could we advise of our avability and know if they need the help?
    Contact your state Office of Emergency Management and detail your availability (personnel, resources, time available, and costs). States request assistance through the EMAC, the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Right, and all 2 million leave and head north at once. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, but thank you for the entertainment.
    That's why the Highway Patrol opened up as many Northbound lanes as possible while still allowing relief traffic to head South.Take off the aluminum headgear and let your brain exercise.
    My sister said it only took her 4 hours on congested roads until she could find an exit to 61 North for the rest of her trip outta Dodge.
    At least Louisiana has a Governor now that knows to whistle up Fed assistance BEFORE it was needed.That cuts response time instead of waiting until the storm hits before thinking of that idea.
    As to sending looters straight to the State Pen in Angola,is Nagin saying that he has suspended Habeus Corpus for the duration?I thought only the President could do that and he'd suffer severe political consequences for it.

Forum Member

Maybe he meant that since you can't be held at the local jail due to it being evacuated, the only choice to send you to the upstate prison. Sounds like a good deterrent to me!

Now we're going to have listen to all the incompetent idiots whining that they evacuated "for nothing" and won't ever do it again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Maybe he meant that since you can't be held at the local jail due to it being evacuated, the only choice to send you to the upstate prison. Sounds like a good deterrent to me!

Now we're going to have listen to all the incompetent idiots whining that they evacuated "for nothing" and won't ever do it again.
    We got a few of those here in Memphis.We love to help but no one likes to be criticized because according to the morning paper:"There's nothing to do in the shelters."
    They're on the 6 o'clock news begging for help in the shelters,these folks are looking for something to do and I've got an idea that would make my old Navy Chief crack a smile:"If you can't find something to do,something for you to do can be found."
    Put the evacuees to work cleaning the place,serving food and whatever needs to be done and the time will pass quicker.I don't see how anyone giving another a free bed and roof over their heads is responsible for their entertainment.

Forum Member

I bet a lot of people in these shelters (not all) are used to having everything given to them so they don't need to be responsible for themselves or their actions (ie- welfare).

Thread Information