MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down In the eye of the storm

Hi guys,

Mark Stephens from Morgan City, Louisiana.

Just wanted to let my friends in the grant field that this storm is going to enter Terrebonne Parish and tract Northwest across Morgan City, We are going to experience sustained winds of 115mph and gust around 130+.

Our 38 man department has been on duty since Sunday afternoon. It is now 5am Monday morning. We only have sustained winds of 30mph but things are going to deteriate from this point on.

Mark Stephens
    Asst. Chief
    Morgan City

Forum Member

Hang on Mark!
    I hope the storm is not as bad as predicted, and everyone comes through OK.
    Ya'll take care of yourselves.

Forum Member

Our prayers are with all of you in the path of the storm!

Stay safe!!!!!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Praying for you Brother and the entire Gulf area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys,

If you want to see how we are doing; go to: www.wwltv.com and click on dopler radar. You will see Morgan city listed on the radar. It is now 9am central time and the eye is off Grand Isle. The eye will continue to pass in a westerly direction towards us. Conditions are continue to worsen.

Kirk B. gave me a call this morning to check on our department.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers

mark stephens

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea it looks like Mark is going to take a direct hit from Gustav. The eye is about 1 hour from hitting them and the track is goign to take the NW wall right over their town and the town where his son srevs at. Thoughts and prayers are with you brother. Been there, done that on a number of occassions.If you need any updates or close looks at the eye or anything use your cell and call me as I have it on my screen continually.Good luck guy, hang on to something tightly!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Be safe

Our prayers and thoughts are with you guys, just remember your safety is number one and risk a lot to save a lot and risk a little to save a little. Keep us informed and do what you guys do best!!

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Just an update but Morgan City is getting hit by the eye wall right now. I am unable to establish any communications with Morgan City FD; it appears even cell pnoes are very sporadic at this time.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

At this time, 12:15 central time, the eye is over us. We have broken windows in engine room and we had to vacate our weight room in central station. We have room damage over this part and rain has come in. We had to use a smoke ejector holder to keep the back door from blowing in.

We do have reports of some rooms taken off buildings and of course tree damage. We are about half through at this time. The winds have died down because we are in the eye. After that the winds will return to the Southwest and we will get hit from the other direction.

Its been 16 years since Hurricanne Andrew. Its been a while for that one and people forget since Katrina and Rita

Our state is getting really good at the ICS system!

ms

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by morgancity View Post
    At this time, 12:15 central time, the eye is over us. We have broken windows in engine room and we had to vacate our weight room in central station. We have room damage over this part and rain has come in. We had to use a smoke ejector holder to keep the back door from blowing in.

We do have reports of some rooms taken off buildings and of course tree damage. We are about half through at this time. The winds have died down because we are in the eye. After that the winds will return to the Southwest and we will get hit from the other direction.

Its been 16 years since Hurricanne Andrew. Its been a while for that one and people forget since Katrina and Rita

Our state is getting really good at the ICS system!

ms

Hang in there Mark. Tried calling but it appears your cell provider is down. Wtaer is overtopping the Upper 9th Wardd levee in NO. Brace your windows and doors on opposite sides of building for the back eye wall!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default Hang in there

hang in there,
    and the brotherhood will come through for all of you in harms way.

Wendel

MembersZone Subscriber

I just heard from Morgan City and he is reporting that they have some minor roof damage to the FD, some windows blown out and their emergency generator has failed for unknown reasons. The emrgency generator at the local hospital has also failed causing a crisis there that they are trying to deal with. The department has already answered one structure fire caused by an electrical short. All Internet and ATT and Verizon phone systems are down and they have Nextel only at this point for phone usage.They are just beginning to move thorugh nieghborhoods and do damage assessments in their commmunity and trying to get handle on it before darkness overtakes them. Mark reports that they have road blockages from debris, some roofs missing and downed trees but no major injuries or fatalities at this time.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Those winds and rain are impossible to get used to. not a quick hit, but hour after hour. and those hours can drag. good luck to you all. hope there are no really difficult calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    I just heard from Morgan City and he is reporting that they have some minor roof damage to the FD, some windows blown out and their emergency generator has failed for unknown reasons. The emrgency generator at the local hospital has also failed causing a crisis there that they are trying to deal with. The department has already answered one structure fire caused by an electrical short. All Internet and ATT and Verizon phone systems are down and they have Nextel only at this point for phone usage.They are just beginning to move thorugh nieghborhoods and do damage assessments in their commmunity and trying to get handle on it before darkness overtakes them. Mark reports that they have road blockages from debris, some roofs missing and downed trees but no major injuries or fatalities at this time.
    That's good to hear.

Forum Member

Hey Mark, been thinking about you guys all weekend since I heard that it was headed toward Morgan City. Good to hear that you guys are all OK, the station can be fixed. Still in our thoughts and prayers.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Scary stuff, I watched on CNN most of yesterday.

It could have been so much worse, but I guess we'll all find out the real damage today.

You guys keep on STAYING SAFE down there ... now that Fay and Gustav have had their fun we're on to Hanna and Ike, with "Josephine" already formed off the coast of Africa, although she's not named yet.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Spekaing from my location in Florida, I suddenly feel like a "sitting duck" in a shooting gallery. I guarantee you, as soon as the real estate market recovers even minimally here, I am outta here. Honestly it appears to be getting worse every year, the constant fear, the boarding up and tearing down is taking its toll on my family and I. As a Flordia native I am quite ready to say "adios" to my home state and become a "legal immigrant" to Tennessee or Montana!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Hey Kurt, leave something down there for me I will be down to visit in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate it if I did not have to bring my boat down.

Forum Member

Spekaing from my location in Florida, I suddenly feel like a "sitting duck" in a shooting gallery. I guarantee you, as soon as the real estate market recovers even minimally here, I am outta here. Honestly it appears to be getting worse every year, the constant fear, the boarding up and tearing down is taking its toll on my family and I. As a Flordia native I am quite ready to say "adios" to my home state and become a "legal immigrant" to Tennessee or Montana!
    At least there isn't any snow!
    Come on Kurt. Suck it up. You could be directly on the east coast of Florida like me.

Gotta love living in a place where you have to turn your engine nose-in to protect the windshield from a garage door failure during a storm (plus it doesn't hurt as much if you need to back through a broken door).
    Surf's up !

I hope our brothers along the Gulf coast came out ok. Does anyone with internet access have any down-n-dirty status?

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel your pain, Kurt. Being in the center of Florida's panhandle has had its disadvantages the last few years~

Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

Update,

We have internet! At this time, we have NO WATER, NO SEWER, NO ELECTRICITY. Generating plant sustainded damage and other distribution lines comming in has not been certified good. The only water we have for fire suspression is on our engines. We are hopefull to have those restored soon.

All personnel is still good. Make the storms go away.

Have been clearing streets since early morn and we have a handle on that so engines and ems can navigate.

All in all ok..

All take care along the gulf coast. Thanks lime and kurt and yes kurt i will see u in Tenn. My last trip i opened up a checking account at a local bank in Sevierville. Mountain National Bank. I have 7 years for retirement to see the mountains. It is on a fault. no place safe

ms

MembersZone Subscriber

Morgan at least you will be on the right side of the moutain. Hurricanes find it hard to climb over the Smokies. I have retirement plans over there myself. Just need a nice Jeep to play with in the winter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2802 View Post
    At least there isn't any snow!
    Come on Kurt. Suck it up. You could be directly on the east coast of Florida like me.

Gotta love living in a place where you have to turn your engine nose-in to protect the windshield from a garage door failure during a storm (plus it doesn't hurt as much if you need to back through a broken door).
    Surf's up !

I hope our brothers along the Gulf coast came out ok. Does anyone with internet access have any down-n-dirty status?

After Andrew we carved out a 100 yard by 100 yard hole in the middle of a 300 acre orange grove and all trucks go into the middle there now during storms.Not a scratch on em even during the triple-play of 2004.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Morgan at least you will be on the right side of the moutain. Hurricanes find it hard to climb over the Smokies. I have retirement plans over there myself. Just need a nice Jeep to play with in the winter.
    Personally I prefer Fayetteville. Bigger white tail population and Nashville Airport only 90 minutes away so I can keep flying and teaching.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt, Plenty of property available in my area, and more being made available daily. We have the possiblity of floods, landslides, tornados and ice storms. But we also have plenty of sunshine, just 11 inches below normal on rainfall this year.

Thread Information