Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What kind of a workout should I be doing?

So I work out about for one hour 3-4 x's a week and I never feel like I'm getting a full workout ... I need some advice on what I need to be doing to keep in shape and build my upper body strength ...

Thanks,
    Laura

Forum Member

Maybe you are not getting enough intensity in your workout. I find that if I have a little soreness the next day I feel good about the workout. I try to work on a 3 day cycle "cardio - upperbody - lowerbody". I do some core work almost everyday.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

MembersZone Subscriber

X2 on the intensity. Are you doing strict isolation exercises? Or are you doing overall body moves?

I;ve found overall body exercises to be most benificial to the shape you want to be in to be a firefighter: dead lifts, push presses, squat thrust, pull ups, pushups, clean and jerks, etc. Crossfit has a plethora of these types of exercises, even if you don;t subscribe to their workout beliefs.

Keep your intensity high, and work to failure. Remember to rest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Crossfit worked well for me, but it is too random for my liking. I recently ordered full throttle conditioning, infinite intensity, and never gymless from www.rosstraining.com. He does a great job of explaining energy systems training, and the importance of training your body from head to toe. His workouts cover explosive power, as well as low tech/high effect methods for conditioning. His methods are primarily intended to supplement skills work for combat athletes, but have tremendous relevance to the physical demands of fire service. At the station, we have a sled, sledge, weights, kettlebells, heavy medicine balls, a waterball, jump rope, and a water filled keg. We devise new circuits frequently, and hit the local high school track on occasion to knock out sprints, bear crawls, crab walks, and various calisthenics.

Forum Member

Ross's training is very similar to what we do in the gym. Very simple high intensity drag your *** out of the gym - feel great workout. A couple of examples:
    Cards: Take a deck of cards - leave the jokers in (these represent 1 minute rest) place the jokers so the break the deck up into thirds. Every card drawn represents the amount of each exercise you have to do - ace =1, king =13 reps. Pick 4 exercises - Hearts = shuttle run (75' their and back represents 1 length). Diamonds - burpee push up thruster (take a couple of weights...say 30 pounds. From a standing position drop into a chest to ground push up draw legs into the squat position stand and thrust the weight above your head), Spade = front squat with 100lbs ish, Clubs = 1/2 sits.
    Full intensity is required - the only break you get is the ace cards.

Circuit - 1) Sledge hammer and tire, go run 0.5 mile, 2) 250lb tire flip - go run 0.5 mile, 3) hanging knees to elbows - go run again, 4) box jumps ( 3 foot box) - go run, 5) shoulder press - go run, 6) air squats - go run, 7) squat curls - go run, 8) push up burpee...go run
    Break up into two groups - one person runs and the other works their butt off until that person gets back (roughly 2 minutes).

every workout we do changes up - no work out is the same. Maybe in a couple of months we get back and do one that was similar. One of our bench mark workouts is:
    5 minute shuttle run, 100 push ups, 200 1/2 sits, 300 air squats, finish with a 5 min run. This one is done to time - faster you are done the better. This exercise changes up as well - different exercises can be substituted.

With any high intensity workout men have to watch their urine out put. Rhabdomyolysis is a real concern here is the excerpt:

What is rhabdomyolysis?
    Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents into the circulation. Some of these are toxic to the kidney and frequenty result in kidney damage. The injury can be from physical damage to the
    muscle, but significant cases of rhabdomyolysis are more commonly due to high fever or hyperthermia, metabolic disorders, excessive exertion, convulsions, choreoathetosis, muscle trauma, flow of electric current through the body or anoxia of the muscle (e.g. Bywaters' syndrome, a tourniquet left for several hours, local muscle compression due to comatose states, etc.). Rhabdomyolysis is a potentially life-threatening syndrome resulting from the breakdown of skeletal muscle fibers with leakage of muscle contents into the circulation. The most common causes are crush injury, overexertion, alcohol abuse and certain medicines and toxic substances. Several inherited genetic disorders, such as McArdle's disease and Duchenne's muscular dystrophy, are predisposing factors for the syndrome. Clinical features are often nonspecific, and tea-colored urine is usually the first clue to the presence of rhabdomyolysis. Severe cases of rhabdomyolysis often result in myoglobinuria, a condition where the myoglobin from muscle breakdown spills into the urine, making it dark, or "tea colored" (myoglobin contains iron, like hemoglobin, giving muscles its characteristic red color). This condition can cause serious kidney damage in severe cases. The injured muscle also leaks potassium, leading to hyperkalemia, which may cause fatal disruptions in heart rhythm. In addition, myoglobin is metabolically degraded into potentially toxic substances for the kidneys. Massive skeletal muscle necrosis may further aggravate the situation, by reducing plasma volumes and leading to shock and reduced bloodflow to the kidneys. Treatment for rhabdomyolysis includes, if possible, removing the cause of the muscle cell destruction by stopping any medications that may cause rhabdomyolysis and providing plenty of fluids to help the kidneys remove the buildup of toxins and other chemicals. Other treatment (such as dialysis) may be needed, depending on the severity of rhabdomyolysis.

Workout safe - these exercises are excellent for cardio and muscle building - I am a 255 lb highland games athlete as well as a firefighter. Have been doing this workout regime for a year. Havent lost any weight but have lost a pile of fat.
    PM me if you have any questions and I will do my best to help.
    Last edited by Dave404; 09-23-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave, it looks like you're doing some pretty intense stuff at the station. We've also done circuits where we'll do several stations, then two laps around the building(about 400m), for about 30-45 minutes continuously, rest as needed. Sometimes we'll pick a burpee variation and race to 100. I've noticed the same simultaneous fat burning/muscle building effect with anerobic/lactate training, with an aerobic session maybe once per week, if not longer. Our sessions contain plenty of explosive exercises, which has actually helped my olympic weightlifting. I read about rhabdo on crossfit some time ago. Three key methods of prevention, in my opinion, are to gradually build workload, be fully hydrated prior, and stay at 1/2 hour or less before taking a break if the weather is 90+. I train in the heat whenever possible, but I had to slowly build myself up to sessions of 45 mins. to one hour.

Thread Information