Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question Stephen Harper, I will pay you 50 bucks to forget the whole thing

First of all, I am going to RANT. I tried (yet again) to use the search function and it SUCKS. Plain and simple. The Advanced Search offers a person to "Search by Key Word", but when you type in "key words" you get a list of ALL the current threads. Well gee. I could have read the list without "searching" for them. Especially since none of them even have the specified "key words" in them to begin with. The search function in this site is about as useful as the search engine in DWAN. You CF Dorks, like me, know what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, on with the thread:

Knox column: Canadians heading for a 'do-we-have-to?' election

Jack Knox, Times Colonist Published: Thursday, September 04, 2008

Here it is, my last-ditch attempt to prevent a fall election: Stephen Harper, I will pay you 50 bucks to forget the whole thing.

I make this offer on behalf of all Canadians, sober or Albertan, {Sheri, you get Honourable Mention here, I guess LOL} who wish to avoid the misery of yet another needless, dispiriting political campaign. Just take the money, Mr. Prime Minister -- it doesn't have to be a $50 bill with a picture of that Liberal Mackenzie King on it, it could be five crisp John A. Macdonalds -- and walk away.

Because while you (or at least your pollsters) think it absolutely essential that Canada dust off the national ballot box, the rest of us greet the prospect with all the eager anticipation of a man waiting for a prostate exam. An election call during back-to-school week? Jeez, pal, why don't you just shoot Santa Claus while you're at it? {HEHEHEEHEHEHEEHEHEE}

Here in B.C. we are already looking at the Obama/Nobama contest Nov. 4, the once-every-three-years municipal elections a week and a half after that and, in May, a provincial campaign. Now they want to stuff an October federal vote into the schedule? Even for a political junkie, squishing federal, municipal, U.S. and provincial elections into that short a span is like having Christmas, Halloween, Easter and your birthday all in the same week. We are full to bursting with elections, couldn't eat another bite, particularly when it's just reheated two-year-old leftovers.

I tried arguing this on the radio the other day, said an election now is like going to the mailbox and finding a notice from your dentist saying it's time to get your teeth cleaned. You look at the notice and go, "Already? I thought I didn't have to go again until October 2009." That's when we were supposed to vote under Harper's fixed-date election legislation, the law that was supposed to free the process from political manipulation.

But the Conservative guy on the CBC show said no, no, another election campaign might be like going to the dentist, but we have to do it because Parliament is so dysfunctional. I guess he's right, if by dysfunctional you mean no one party having enough votes to do anything wingnuttish {ROFLMAO} without the others taking away the car keys until the government sobers up.

Indeed, the Conservatives keep repeating to us that Canadians seem to like minority governments and that the forthcoming election is likely to breed another one. Super. Then let's keep the one we've got. It's only two years old, barely has the motor broken in, doesn't even have a dent. (Don't worry about that Bernier-Couillard business; it will buff right out.) Willingly trading one minority government for another minority government is like trading a 1984 Chevette for another 1984 Chevette.

Meanwhile, we're stuck in the back seat, gawking at the Americans in the next lane in their flashy new 2008 Obama. Maybe it won't look that hot with a few miles under the hood, but right now their Obama still has that new-car smell. So does the alternative, the hot-off-the-line Palin Republican, its sporty exterior hiding a rifle rack and a desire to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. (OK, we've squeezed enough out of the car metaphor.)

The American campaign has been a revelation. It has proved that Canadians are, contrary to conventional wisdom, interested in politics -- American politics. That's probably because the people the Americans elect are more powerful than ours. (Their leader determines the future of the world; ours answers questions about meat inspection.)

If this foreign fascination seems unpatriotic, too bad. Being told to get excited about a federal election is like being told to cheer for the home hockey team, even when it sucks. No, we can reply, it's up to the home team to give us something to cheer about.

And lordy but this campaign looks to be cheerless. The only one who wants it is Harper, and that's because he doesn't want an election in 2009, with the economy stuck in low gear and the voters cranky. Also, the polls show Canadians prefer Harper over Stéphane Dion as national leader. (Poor Dion. That's like losing a beauty contest to Groundskeeper Willie.)

Anyway, it appears the campaign is already on. Gary Lunn was flying around Vancouver Island making funding announcements this week, chucking around so much cash that you would have thought it wasn't even his money. (Oh wait, it wasn't.)

But it's not too late, Mr. Prime Minister. My 50 bucks is still on the table. Think about it.

jknox@tc.canwest.com © Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

If only we had the option to forego some of the political beating and bickering...

I am SICK of hearing Obama stuff on the Television, Radio, and reading it in Papers, internet ads, etc.. I wouldn't vote for him, my reason being he is EVERYWHERE. I am tired of him, and 4 years of seeing him in Rock Star fashion would be 3 years and 365 days too much. (I'll let him pass on the leap year.. Feb. 29th)

The McCain bunch isn't much better. However, being a male, the new eye candy with her gun totin' 'get things done' attitude is easier to take. I just wish for once, they would come out in a speech with every bit of dirt and trash that might be brought up. For once, instead of media outlets releasing details of investigations, I'd rather the candidates just say, "I've got a pregnant, unmarried daughter, My Husband has a DUI from 20 years ago, and I fired my ex-brother-in-law, but now you know I'm just like everyone else in the country.." Get the dirt out, and don't let the media be the ones to release the information. That would be a fun thing to watch, the candidates trash themselves before it becomes a spin city with their advisors..

Locally, we have a poor excuse of an Ex-Governor running for U.S. Senate. I remember one article on him where he declared a state of emergency in order to get immediate funding for redecorating his office. Our state had a budget surplus when he was sworn in, and he left with the office with the state in the red by millions. He is a Democrat.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

Gee.....if we could avoid another election then count me in for $50 also. I've been getting election flyers disguised as constituency news in the mail for the past 2 weeks. Gimme a break....

Forum Member

I'd pay fifty bucks to see John McCain and Barack Obama with their wrists tied together,trading shots from a fifth of Jack Daniels until they'd emptied the bottle.Then someone hands them each an open Buck knife.Last man standing is the President.
    For the undercard,maybe Sarah Palin and Joe Biden in a barb wire steel cage bull whip death match?

McCain / Obama, Hell in a Cell. instead of an election let's have a cage fight for the presidency. Put it on Pay per view. Let the revenues pay some of the national debt
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Quote Originally Posted by Marmoraguy View Post
    Gee.....if we could avoid another election then count me in for $50 also. I've been getting election flyers disguised as constituency news in the mail for the past 2 weeks. Gimme a break....
    If it means keeping down the useless junk mail I get and having to watch those horrible commercials, count me in too.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    The search function in this site is about as useful as the search engine in DWAN. You CF Dorks, like me, know what I'm talking about.
    Yep. I think I was searching something about the pay scales one day and I got about two pages of useless garbage, most not even to do with pay. Hell I think one was a link to an RSM of a Reserve Unit's bio. After looking through two pages of crap I got what I wanted at about the third page.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Yep. I think I was searching something about the pay scales one day and I got about two pages of useless garbage, most not even to do with pay. Hell I think one was a link to an RSM of a Reserve Unit's bio. After looking through two pages of crap I got what I wanted at about the third page.
    Hey. If its something administrative, give me a shout. They dont call me an RMS Clerk for nuth'n ya know. Dat's Ma Job!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Look, I'm a very conservative republican and active in our states party, but this election process has convinced me that we're basically screwed. Obama is so inexperienced and is being controlled by some liberal operative. And McCain, a real hero, is far from what I hoped for my party. The G.O.P.- V.P. selection was a genius strategy, but that really means McCain not Palin. Obamas campaign slogan was about change and what does he do? Chooses Biden who once said that Obama was intelligent for a black man and cleans up nicely. Change? Obamas doing like Clinton did when he won. He promised the same thing, got elected and appointed almost every old dem. crony to his cabinet after promising to make it look more like country itself. McCain has and will make the same mistakes that Bush did. Try and be a bipartisan president. Those dems that Bush retained in positions did everything they could to betray the president. So for '08- we're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Look, I'm a very conservative republican and active in our states party, but this election process has convinced me that we're basically screwed. Obama is so inexperienced and is being controlled by some liberal operative. And McCain, a real hero, is far from what I hoped for my party. The G.O.P.- V.P. selection was a genius strategy, but that really means McCain not Palin. Obamas campaign slogan was about change and what does he do? Chooses Biden who once said that Obama was intelligent for a black man and cleans up nicely. Change? Obamas doing like Clinton did when he won. He promised the same thing, got elected and appointed almost every old dem. crony to his cabinet after promising to make it look more like country itself. McCain has and will make the same mistakes that Bush did. Try and be a bipartisan president. Those dems that Bush retained in positions did everything they could to betray the president. So for '08- we're screwed.
    OK. let's get away from party politics and get to the meat and potatoes of the whole election. Barry Obama has done nothing to say he is prepared to be President. John McCain in any other election cycle is just far enough left of the GOP agenda to be the Democratic Candidate. We agree on this. Now let's not talk about experience and being qualified. Last I checked both candidates were over 35, Natural born citizens and neither is a convicted felon. Which leads to in 2008 who do we pull the handle for?
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Hey. If its something administrative, give me a shout. They dont call me an RMS Clerk for nuth'n ya know. Dat's Ma Job!
    HAHA. I'll remember that next time if I have any questions. Are you in Borden yet or what?
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information