Forum Member

Post need some advice

hey whats up i was wondering if someone could help me out. i currently live in rhode island but was born in georgia im 22 years old and mostly all of my family lives in georgia.... i have my college degree in fire science with a minor in emergency management. i have been a volli for 6 years now and i have my nfpa firefighter 1 and 2, my nremt-basic, a rhode island emt-cardiac,acls,pals,phtls,cpr, hazmat awr,hazmat ops and rope rescue ops and also have all the fema ics certs... what would it take for me to apply to fire depts in georgia because i wanna be back home.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default get the tests

you will have to get a hold of the applications and then submit them some how. Then you will have to fly out and take the tests most likely. i have been to several fire tests here in AZ and talked to several guys that have flown in just to take the test. If you really are wanting to get the job you will have to make it work some how. Good luck!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Get reciprocity

First if you have the certs. get them where Georgia will recognize them. For EMT you will have to file for reciprocity with Georgia Office of EMS. And for all the fire you have get National Registered with the Pro Board or NPQ I & II. Depending on where your family lives depends on where to apply. There have been departments that have been hiring. If you have what the departments are looking for they will consider you, you might be traveling up to 4 times during the hiring process though.

Forum Member

The good thing about Georgia is that there seems to always be someone hiring. Granted in many of those places it's because of the low pay. The cost of living in the state isn't to bad, but even that gap has closed in the past few years. Most departments hire with zero experience, so all you have is only a bonus and make you look better as an applicant. As mentioned, just see who's hiring and go test. Best of luck as it's a great state to live!

Forum Member

Talk with Ga Firefighters Standards and Training Council in Forsyth. They will tell you what "fire" certifications can transfer. I don't know what EMS will transfer.

The pay north of Macon is better than South GA. I believe that Henry County, Gwinnett County in Metro Atlanta are hiring.

Good Luck,
    Glenn

Forum Member

most of my family lives in the gwinnett county area and i have always wanted to apply. does georgia accept nremt?...and i wonder if nfpa can be transfered.

CFEI / CFII

Default Glynn county Fire Department, Brunswick GA

You can apply on-line with Glynn county. Here is the link.

http://www.glynncounty.org/PublicLog...&HR_Page=login

Glynn county is a combination department on the coast with 8 stations 150 career personnel. We run 7 ALS squads. At the end of my last shift we were at 7800 EMS calls and 3700 fire calls for the year.

With your certifications you could interview and start work within a few days.

Forum Member

really....can you message me i have some questions for you.

CFEI / CFII

jobs@glynncounty-ga.gov

I tried to message you but your settings dont accept private messages.
    Last edited by cubbie; 09-12-2008 at 02:31 PM.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Good news on the EMS Certs.

The state of GA does accept the NREMT-B from other states. I transferred my NREMT-B from Vermont to GA in the summer of 2004. What you need to do is go online to the department of public health and call the EMS district headquarters for where you live. The district headquarters will tell you what you need to do and what fees to pay in order to receive reciprocity.

Also,

Roswell Fire and Rescue in North Fulton is hiring as well as the cities of Johns Creek and Sandy Springs also in North Fulton County. Roswell is a combination department that runs a lot of fire calls and has an amazing staff. Johns Creek and Sandy Springs are career also with a wealth of knowledge and good leadership. AND always look at all the county departments in the Atlanta metro too.

Good Luck!

RLW
    MembersZone Subscriber

Go to theproboard.org and contact someone to see if you can get your FFI and FFII certed to NPQI and NPQII (and i dont think they will since volunteers usually get minimal training for certs condensed to like 2-3 weeks or so, and thats probably just due to the budget and funding of your dept), if your EMT-B and EMT-I certs are national registry certs then youll be fine with those, as for rope rescue, confined space rescue, vehicle extrication, etc etc i dont know....but all this will only make your resume more appealing because youll still have to go through rookie school in any other dept that you choose b/c SOPs vary from dept to dept... Gwinnett is where i grew up (Lawrenceville GA)and their hiring process is tough, they get like 1000+ applicants for <50 spots, so competition is tough, but with all your certs and experience you got a great shot to be picked up (depending on your CPAT and interviews)...email me at RLWilton@aol.com and I may be able to help out, i got some good friends with Gwinco Fire that may be able to give you some good info...Atlanta just laid off some guys, but the adjacent counties are usually always hiring

CFEI / CFII

Glynn county GA on the coast is still hiring.

912-554-7779 Admin number

Quote Originally Posted by RLWilton View Post
    Go to theproboard.org and contact someone to see if you can get your FFI and FFII certed to NPQI and NPQII (and i dont think they will since volunteers usually get minimal training for certs condensed to like 2-3 weeks or so, and thats probably just due to the budget and funding of your dept), if your EMT-B and EMT-I certs are national registry certs then youll be fine with those, as for rope rescue, confined space rescue, vehicle extrication, etc etc i dont know....but all this will only make your resume more appealing because youll still have to go through rookie school in any other dept that you choose b/c SOPs vary from dept to dept... Gwinnett is where i grew up (Lawrenceville GA)and their hiring process is tough, they get like 1000+ applicants for <50 spots, so competition is tough, but with all your certs and experience you got a great shot to be picked up (depending on your CPAT and interviews)...email me at RLWilton@aol.com and I may be able to help out, i got some good friends with Gwinco Fire that may be able to give you some good info...Atlanta just laid off some guys, but the adjacent counties are usually always hiring

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Thread Information