Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default SCBA Cheater for SCOTT SCBA

Hey everyone, I KNOW this is going to start a storm, but I want information on how to make an SCBA cheater for a SCOTT SCBA. Pictures, materials list, directions, etc. I am from the East Coast and talk to such a device is taboo out here, although I know they are being used. I know Chicago is big on them (or WAS before the big scba switch). Please dont lecture me, just give me the information that I need. This is not going to be used on the line, I am just doing a research project...THANKS MEN!

Forum Member

Default What is a "SCOTT SCBA Cheater"

?????????????

Good thing's happening

this topic seemed to be a big *****STORM back in 05 with ended up in another thread because the first thread got closed.

http://forums.firehouse.com/archive/...p/t-68205.html

Forum Member

Get a piece of 3/8" hose from the auto parts store, get two wooden dowels cut them about 3/8" and use wire or a coat hanger to attach them through the hose. The dowels need to be about the same size as the voicemitter. Some guys would just put the hose through the voicemitter, but you need it to be strong so you wont get it knocked out of your mouth, which does suck.

Forum Member

anyone got a pic of this thing?

Theres a couple different descriptions in the threads, is it used to hold your mask with your mouth, or just a tube to breath through?

jonny...Sounds like a bite bar.
    That's kind of like someone saying,"I want to make dynamite. Don't lecture me, just give me the imformation".

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Why would you want that?

Does anyone know the proper ratio of fertilizer to diesel fuel for making an ANFO bomb? Please dont lecture me, just give me the information that I need. This is not going to be used, I am just doing a research project...

YGBSM....

laddercompany20 turn on your pm's

Forum Member

"Just give me the information that I need"............

Dial down your attitude and maybe someone will help you. It is always helpful when asking other people for something to not come across the way you have.

A guy asks a question about something that he wants to know about (isn't that what these forums are for?) and gets jumped all over??? Cheaters have been used for years and although totally prohibited are still used today. Just as some guys don't wear hoods or gloves, some guys use cheaters, thats just how it is.
    There are guys who have successfully used them for years and there are guys who have gotten f---ed up using them. They have a place in some positions. I do not use one however I do see the benefit.
    If you guys want to keep your heads in the sand and think that these things don't exist, feel free, the brother asked a question and hopefully some of the others on here were able to answer it.

Forum Member

I think the main question on most's minds is.. what IS a cheater bar?
    My views and opinions are in no way affiliated with my department.
    Never Forget 343

Maybe you would get an answer if anybody here had a clue what you're talking about?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by NCVCadet View Post
    I think the main question on most's minds is.. what IS a cheater bar?
    A cheater bar is a piece of pipe placed over the handle of a pipe wrench used for additional leverage.

But a bite bar is inserted into a face piece to illegally modify it. If you sneeze you're screwed.
    A cheater is home made and takes the place of a facepiece. That's all I'll say about that.

jfTL41..My head's not in the sand. Maybe we jumped on the guy because no one wants to see him, or anyone else, get "f---ed up". He says he won't use it but what about some other person with two years and as many fires under his belt. It's not a toy. You said you don't use one so you don't know what could go wrong first hand. I saw one come apart on a guy who took a mouth full of smoke and almost went down and another guy almost lose it when hit with a face full of heat and had to run for the door. I have a friend from another department whe lost it and ended up in the hospital and almost didn't make it... Guess I was one of the successful guys, even though my eyes were sore alot.

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    They have a place in some positions. I do not use one however I do see the benefit.

OK I'll bite, so to speak. When would there be a benefit to not having your SCBA facepiece secured to your face? I'm not being a smart-***, I honestly don't get it.

Sounds like a Darwin award waiting to happen.

Forum Member

For those of you that don't know....

A "cheater" is an SCBA facepiece that has been modified by adding what basically amounts to a "bite bar" inside the facepiece itself.

Biting down on this "bar" keeps the facepiece on your face, eliminating the need to use the netting and adjustment straps and allowing you to quickly and easily remove and replace your facepiece as necessary without removing your hood or helmet.

Just as TL41 said, they have had their place in many departments history, and can still be found in use today, albeit by a much smaller group of firefighters.

Form your own opinions on its merits...but that is what it is.
    Last edited by jakesdad; 09-08-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    A guy asks a question about something that he wants to know about (isn't that what these forums are for?) and gets jumped all over??? Cheaters have been used for years and although totally prohibited are still used today. Just as some guys don't wear hoods or gloves, some guys use cheaters, thats just how it is.
    There are guys who have successfully used them for years and there are guys who have gotten f---ed up using them. They have a place in some positions. I do not use one however I do see the benefit.
    If you guys want to keep your heads in the sand and think that these things don't exist, feel free, the brother asked a question and hopefully some of the others on here were able to answer it.

Call me a Safety Sally if you need to but frankly I think the idea of a cheater is just goofy. I am sure you can give me hundreds if not thousands of examples of guys using cheaters. Some where nothing bad happened and some where guys were injured by using one.

My question is simply this, what is the advantage? It takes mere seconds to don a modern scba mask and once donned it isn't going to fall off your face if you are bumped, cough, sneeze, fall down or snag your hose.

Tell me a viable reason for a cheater and maybe you will sway me. Although I can't imagine any FD sanctioning the use of a cheater so it really is a mute point isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    A cheater bar is a piece of pipe placed over the handle of a pipe wrench used for additional leverage.

But a bite bar is inserted into a face piece to illegally modify it. If you sneeze you're screwed.
    A cheater is home made and takes the place of a facepiece. That's all I'll say about that.

jfTL41..My head's not in the sand. Maybe we jumped on the guy because no one wants to see him, or anyone else, get "f---ed up". He says he won't use it but what about some other person with two years and as many fires under his belt. It's not a toy. You said you don't use one so you don't know what could go wrong first hand. I saw one come apart on a guy who took a mouth full of smoke and almost went down and another guy almost lose it when hit with a face full of heat and had to run for the door. I have a friend from another department whe lost it and ended up in the hospital and almost didn't make it... Guess I was one of the successful guys, even though my eyes were sore alot.
    most of the ones in use today go in the facepiece, less obvious than the old scuba ones without the facepiece. Some of the "better ones" allow you to use the face piece properly when needed.

And "I Don't use" does not mean never used...

I don't think that anyone on here wants to see anyone get hurt. However if this guy asked what color lightbar he should put on his pinto he would have recieved more information then anyone would ever need. He asked about a device that can help you do your job or can help you to die, I think it deserves an answer. This is about providing information to someone who asked a question.

Forum Member

Other variation is to take a a snorkel ahh I better stop.

Couldn't you couple it with face piercings so it couldn't just be knocked out of your mouth?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Thread Information