Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Paramedic-national reg

I am sure there are several threads on this, but I am new and wanted to get some personal insight. Utah is switching to the national registry. I just started paramedic school about 4 weeks ago and we are going to be the first class to take the national. Does anyone know of any study guides that are fairly close to the national paramedic exam? Also from what we all have heard, it is suppose to be hard as hell... so any additional help/advice is extremely helpful. Thanks so much!!
    Melis

Forum Member

Smile

I live in Florida and even though Florida doesnt recognize National, I took it anyway just to have it as a credential. I must say I felt that the written test was easier than the state test but here is what I will tell you.

There are many books out there that say they will prepare you etc. But if you just read your book and focus on the little things that you never look at while your in school, those are the things I find to be put on the written. One things for sure, KNOW your pediatric dosages and the Cushings Triad Principle. I got asked about 5 questions on Cushings that was worded differently each time. Also, know your rhythm treatments. I know ACLS goes over it but you would be surprised on how much extra stuff that can be thrown at you. A few other things I can recall are emphasis on lung sounds and what they represent and right vs left heart failure.

For the practical:

This stuff you really got to know when you walk in. When you walk in they give you a number and have everyone sit in one room. They call the numbers randomly to go to the different stations. The skills stations you might think is easy but make SURE you READ the evaluation sheets you should see during the course of your class and pay clse attention to the critical fail criteria. The two stations I would say are nerve rattlers are the Oral stations. You have the Oral Medical and Oral Trauma. You get 15 minutes to run the scenarios as you would in a EMS call. Just remain calm and listen to the information given. Write down your vitals and information given as the proctor gives it so you don't forget. I think of it as I would write the information on my glove during a real call.

In all seriousness, if you study your book and pay close attention to what you do in class and during your clinicals, you should not have a problem.

Good Luck, any other information you need feel free to ask, I will try to answer them.

I am in paramedic at a community college in Memphis, Tn and we do the national registry which is, yes very hard. I took it to get my EMT-IV licensure and will have to take the paramedic version so. But to answer your question we are required to take a test/quiz online that has questions that are formatted like what you would see on the national registry. The website is emscat.com, or just google emscat. You will have to get a school code and register online to use it (it's free). Your instructors hopefully will have a school code for you. Don't freak and think you know nothing if you fail a million times before you pass, because most people do. Our passing grade for the emscat quiz is a 60, because of how hard it is. The questions are controversal and pretty vague, and it is the same way on the national registry. Usually the questions will have two completely wrong answers and one that is right, then one that is more right. Crazy, I know. It is a very controversial test and all my instructors hate the thing. But good look on passing the class and the exam.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Reading the text book will give you the best chance at passing the national registry test. It's not that hard of a test to pass if you've put the effort in ahead of time. If you haven't, that'll show on the test. For the most part when I took it (before the new computerized ones), it was actually a lot of BLS questions on the test. Just keep studying your material and you'll do fine.

Good luck,
    Shane
    NREMT-P

Thread Information