MembersZone Subscriber

Default data from the "sure thing" that didn't make peer

Anyone interested in a little data swap? When you review those apps. that got DJ and you thought they were sure things what are you looking at?

population
    call volume
    annual operating budget
    cost benefit with primary population
    % compliance prior to award
    ages of requested

I'm sure we will all be looking hard at these apps. is there a similar thread we might be missing. Tell us what data you are looking at and if there is interest maybe we can get a standard list going so we can compare and just possibly all learn a little more.

Forum Member

Default i'd be in

Sounds like a great idea to me.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Going to take a while for me to dig through but it's something I do every year, analyzing apps that is. Looks like single digit structure fire counts didn't fare too well. Of course in NFIRS a pot on the stove with extension to the stove and cabinets can be 8 different choices. But anything in or on a structure is a structure fire regardless of how big or who put it out. Lightening strikes are structure fires if it burnt anything on the house, and it always does. I noticed a lot of people not counting calls correctly. Too many pencil whip small fires into other categories so when the report prints they're under special assignment or something way off.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know it's been said before, Just another reason to attend on of the seminars, It's a system with rules, you need to know how to make these same rules work to your advantage.
    Last edited by utfd704; 09-07-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

20 minutes North of Cooperstown, NY/ Baseball Hall of Fame

Got DJ on our Tanker Friday. I will add any thing I find to try and figure out my weaknesses

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

i just scaned thu our fo grant app and i figure that it was the cost benefit that got it s--t caned, but the afg ? in the app is what caused it to be off. i would be happy with 10-12 new scba but because they state you have to have one for every seating position in your fleet i had to apply for 17. i tink this flipped the computer out and got me a dj. but what do you do lie about something in the app. this is a federal document and i dont want to go to jail.

Forum Member

You're exactly right, Chief. I get upset when I get a computer denial (when I really believe they are needy projects with stats to prove it), but as mad as I get, I know that I couldn't have done anything better because I told the truth. If it'd denied, it's denied -- but I won't be in jail!

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutley! I do not know a single person that would trade a new engine for a jail cell at Leavenworth!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Jail Not Good

i would be happy with 10-12 new scba but because they state you have to have one for every seating position in your fleet i had to apply for 17. i tink this flipped the computer out and got me a dj. but what do you do lie about something in the app. this is a federal document and i dont want to go to jail.
    (how do I make that little blue box like everyone else does on quotes??)

But what about the other portion of the codes, don't remember the number right now but I believe it says # seated positions is the max. There is also a min per type of vehicle. If you have a 10 man cab but never staff more than 6 why would you ask for more than 6 units. If you explain it in the narrative, you are not lying or going to jail, remember the application is a document in it's entirety so if you have 30 seated positions because you got a great deal on a truck but only need 12 scba explain that in the narrative.

Forum Member

Default # of airpacks

I also thought the maximum you could request was the number of seated positions - not a requirement that you had to have that many airpacks.

I only requested enough airpacks for the number of seats on apparatus that normally repsonds on a structure fires, I didn't include any of my grass rigs.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Since I worked with them on this, to shed some light on the numbers: 2 pumpers, 1 tanker, 1 rescue made the 17 count so there were no brush rigs. 7 total structure fires 2005-7 with 0 in 2006, 49 total 2007 calls, half EMS, population 629 in 56 square miles. Currently 6 packs 1992 edition.

Unfortunately DHS held up their end of the bargain with counting calls and population more than in past years so most folks asking for PPE and SCBA in similar # situations didn't make it past the computer.

Asking for 1 per seat is the max, but what's to say the department grows in membership in 5 years? Now asking for 6 more packs with 10-12 brand new ones. More apps get denied for not asking for enough to solve a deficiency than asking for too little when more is required. 100% solutions are the primary reason apps get awarded.

Forum Member

Last year our grant for (12) SCBA didn't even make it past computer review though our current ones are over 14 years old and out of compliance. Our structure fires were in the single didgits, leading me to believe thats what got us. I still feel that all departments needing SCBA should be funded before they start funding the "It would be nice to have" items. No word yet this year. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Good luck to all!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    i would be happy with 10-12 new scba but because they state you have to have one for every seating position in your fleet i had to apply for 17. i tink this flipped the computer out and got me a dj. but what do you do lie about something in the app. this is a federal document and i dont want to go to jail.
    (how do I make that little blue box like everyone else does on quotes??)

But what about the other portion of the codes, don't remember the number right now but I believe it says # seated positions is the max. There is also a min per type of vehicle. If you have a 10 man cab but never staff more than 6 why would you ask for more than 6 units. If you explain it in the narrative, you are not lying or going to jail, remember the application is a document in it's entirety so if you have 30 seated positions because you got a great deal on a truck but only need 12 scba explain that in the narrative.
    You mean the box like this one here? Just hit the "quote button" in the post you are wanting to quote Mike.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information