Forum Member

Default Moving across the country. Will the military pay for it?

I am transfering from a GS-7 FF-BLS job in NC to a GS-9 FF/Medic job out in california. I know there are some people in here who have transfered to a different base before as a civilian so I'm wondering how it all goes. I know they are not going to PCS me but I have heard mention that my old base should give me Admin leave for the move and I have heard that my new base might kick in some money for moving. Anyone have some words of advise or caution that come from experience? Thanks

Forum Member

Unless you are the "victim" of a RIF (reduction in force) and have been designated eligible for priority placement, or received your job offer from the post in California from a stopper list placement, you will receive no funding for transferring.

I dont know if you are eligible for administrative leave or how that would work, but again, unless if you come under the above, I doubt you are eligible for it and will have to use annual leave.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Worldwide Menace

better start saving your pennies...

-Damien

Forum Member

All depends on how much the new base wants you. As is everything in federal employment, it depends on the circumstance, and you will only find the answer if you ask the powers that be.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Default Move

The job title will state weather your move is paid for or not. Usually the only paid moves are supervisory or remote. we have several guys moving from the West to the East its not going to be cheap one of them spent close to 2000 dollars on Diesel for the Pensky truck plus food and motels. figure your route out maybe you can arrange to stay fellow firefighters on your way out. Good luck and congrats on the promotion.

Forum Member

Well I'm lucky enough that I have family scattered across the country so I don't have to worry about places to stay but the fuel is going to kill me. I am going to be forced to make it in two trips. First trip is in my truck pulling a trailer so i'm thinking about $1000 in gas for that one. Than a few months later i'll fly back to the east coast and rent a penske truck and do the trip again with the rest of my stuff. The job announcement said tha PCS was not authorized but I didn't know if it was somethign that I could still ask for. When I did they told me that they couldn't give it because it wasn't announced in the posting. I'm just hoping that they will give me some admin leave to do the actual drive so I don't have to burn the little bit I have saved up. Ooh well.
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by meapplegate View Post
    Well I'm lucky enough that I have family scattered across the country so I don't have to worry about places to stay but the fuel is going to kill me. I am going to be forced to make it in two trips. First trip is in my truck pulling a trailer so i'm thinking about $1000 in gas for that one. Than a few months later i'll fly back to the east coast and rent a penske truck and do the trip again with the rest of my stuff. The job announcement said tha PCS was not authorized but I didn't know if it was somethign that I could still ask for. When I did they told me that they couldn't give it because it wasn't announced in the posting. I'm just hoping that they will give me some admin leave to do the actual drive so I don't have to burn the little bit I have saved up. Ooh well.
    What base are you going to? I am thinking Sierra Army or Camp Parks.

Stay safe,

Kevin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    What base are you going to? I am thinking Sierra Army or Camp Parks.

Stay safe,

Kevin
    Sierra. Still don't have a start date but should be within the next month.
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

Thread Information