Forum Member

We run top mounts and I can't see the benefit because it would be like a side mount. You are either in a good position for a view or not depending on how you pull up. Also wondering about pulling past the address for the ladder.
    Biggest issue for me is potential friction loss. If you use electric valves you can mitigate some of it but wouldn't the rear discharges have to have a couple extra elbows to get from the pump to the tailboard?
    If someone has the answer to this question I would like to know.

Thanks,
    Walt.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

An idea that has come back.

Pierce Township (Clermont County), Ohio
    1979 Ford/Sutphen
    1500 GPM - 750 Tank - 30 Foam

View the photo here: Youngstown Fire Forums Sutphen Fire Apparatus 1970-1989 - http://www.youngstownfire.com/forums....html#msg24986

IACOJ - Proud member.

Looking at the pictures in this thread, it does appear that the fire pump is located closer to the cab then a traditional top-mounted panel or a side mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    I'm all about innovation, but what is the advantage? I'm not sure if this isn't the answer to the question that nobody asked.
    Better weight distribution ?

More compartment space / larger tank size within the body ?
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rschultzjr View Post
    A department in the next county has a reverse top mount pump. It was built buy CSI Emeregency Apparatus in Grayling Michigan. The truck is owned by Whitecloud Fire Department in Newaygo County (Michigan). They seem to like it from what I hear. I do not have a contact number for Whitecloud Fire Department, but if all works right here is a pic of there appratus.
    The pipe for the LDH discharge looks pretty small in that picture. Almost looks like a 2 1/2" pipe to a 5" coupling.

Forum Member

The 4x4 pierce of PTFD has all electronic valves on a forward facing panel inside the cab.. set up to haul 1000 gallons of water and 25 gallons of foam for the CAF system.. Both the ladder rack and the dump tanks rack are on hydraulic arms wich drop of the sides of the truck.. the truck is ablr to carry the driver and five others on board.. It was built for our needs we do end up pulling staright into alot of narrow drives so the forward facing panel makes it easy to see out and over the truck.. the truck is also equipt with a roof mnt deck gun capable of flowing 2500gpm.. we love it it has been an awesome addition to our department..

Forum Member

Once again - You CANNOT dream this stuff up!! I really thought Larry Stevens was resting in peace -"LHS", you left behind some crazy folks!!

Stay safe - dream big!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post
    We run top mounts and I can't see the benefit because it would be like a side mount. You are either in a good position for a view or not depending on how you pull up. Also wondering about pulling past the address for the ladder.
    Biggest issue for me is potential friction loss. If you use electric valves you can mitigate some of it but wouldn't the rear discharges have to have a couple extra elbows to get from the pump to the tailboard?
    If someone has the answer to this question I would like to know.

Thanks,
    Walt.
    I was having some of the same thoughts about friction loss. The piping for the tank-to-pump, preconnects, and anything rearward of the walkway has to route under the walkway, which I would assume makes more bends.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reaganfleming1 View Post
    A check valve normally contains a disc or plate, machined to fit tightly against a seat or gasket area when closed. When liquids or gases flow against the disc, it opens and allows the product to pass through in the normal direction of flow. If the flow stops or is reversed for some reason, the product pushes the disc to a closed position and prevents backward flow.
    Thanks for the lesson....

Forum Member

One advantage is the ability to get to the hose bed easier and safer

Thread Information