MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reverse Top Mount Pump

As I was glancing through a fire magazine last night I saw Toyne has a reverse top mount pump. Just wondering if any depts have one yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    As I was glancing through a fire magazine last night I saw Toyne has a reverse top mount pump. Just wondering if any depts have one yet.
    That's your cue, NPFD801!
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 09-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Forum Member

A department in the next county has a reverse top mount pump. It was built buy CSI Emeregency Apparatus in Grayling Michigan. The truck is owned by Whitecloud Fire Department in Newaygo County (Michigan). They seem to like it from what I hear. I do not have a contact number for Whitecloud Fire Department, but if all works right here is a pic of there appratus.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

I'm all about innovation, but what is the advantage? I'm not sure if this isn't the answer to the question that nobody asked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    I'm all about innovation, but what is the advantage? I'm not sure if this isn't the answer to the question that nobody asked.
    I feel like this might be a good setup for a jurisdiction with long narrow driveways where the first due rig will have to nose in. That way the operator can see the fire as well. This might also be nice for watersupply operations, as again the nose of the rig is most likely faced at the fire. If the port-a-tanks are positioned behind the rig, a video camera could be installed at the pump panel to monitor water level while the operator still maintains a clearer view of the fire. That's also purely guesswork, but I think I can see a use for this idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    That's your cue, NPFD801!
    I sold the demo you see on Toyne's web site, so I can give you a report on the department that purchased it and what they think once they have it in service. It was delivered less than a week ago...

Toyne isn't the only to do this, as has already been said in this thread. I think Wolverine or Spencer has done this as well. My opinion is this would be very useful if you lay up long rural driveways. It lets the operator keep an eye towards the scene in front of the rig.

The walkway arrangement also allows easier access to reload the speedlays on the demo I sold, as well as nice access to a quite large coffin compartment/dunnage area in front of the hosebed.

Toyne likes to build demos that think outside of the box once in a while, yet are still functional. Kind of proves to potential customers that they'll build what you want.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    I feel like this might be a good setup for a jurisdiction with long narrow driveways where the first due rig will have to nose in. That way the operator can see the fire as well. This might also be nice for watersupply operations, as again the nose of the rig is most likely faced at the fire. If the port-a-tanks are positioned behind the rig, a video camera could be installed at the pump panel to monitor water level while the operator still maintains a clearer view of the fire. That's also purely guesswork, but I think I can see a use for this idea.
    Add bumper mounted primary attack lines and rear suction and you're all set for rural pumper.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Which Direction

Tomato --- Tomotoe

It doesn't seem to make much difference to me whether I'm facing the cab of the truck or the body of the truck. Buy the one you like. But I don't see it as any great thinking out of the box scheme.

MembersZone Subscriber

Truly thinking out of the box or not, it proves that some builders will do something that isn't the industry, or their, norm. I'd be willing to bet many of the big boys wouldn't "waste" their time building this, or much else, that deviates too much from what they want to do.

Photos of the Toyne unit, so you can see another take on the concept.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet many of the big boys wouldn't "waste" their time building this, or much else, that deviates too much from what they want to do.
    They will, however, be more than happy to make claim that they were the first to "pioneer" the innovation!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Nice looking rig you have there npfd801,

I'm a keener for giving the "Skies the limit" ideas out to the department, and while not all manufacturers may be able (Or want to) construct such a design, it is a nice approach to breaking the mould on what Fire apparatus' are and what they could become.

BTW, where do you house the crosslays or speedlays? I'm guessing behind the rollups.

Cheers

CFT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    BTW, where do you house the crosslays or speedlays? I'm guessing behind the rollups.
    Joel- Go ahead and blow his mind and show him a pic with the step lifted up!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Nice looking rig you have there npfd801,

I'm a keener for giving the "Skies the limit" ideas out to the department, and while not all manufacturers may be able (Or want to) construct such a design, it is a nice approach to breaking the mould on what Fire apparatus' are and what they could become.

Cheers

CFT
    Just so happens that I have a bunch that I took while I was waiting for 801! Here's three of them

Forum Member

A few more

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Sam for posting those. That truck stop looks vaguely familar.

Forum Member

Thanks Sam for posting those. That truck stop looks vaguely familar.
    Does, doesn't it?

Forum Member

Those are some pretty creative uses for space, but I don't see how this couldn't be done with a rear facing top-mount pump panel. Nice looking truck. Is it in service yet?

I just realized that was the truck delivered less than a week ago, so I assume I answered my own question. Thanks.
    Last edited by Northeast68; 09-10-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Duh.

Forum Member

Very nice set-up, I like how the compartment was fully untilized!

MembersZone Subscriber

The ability to use as much space as is available, was one of the reasons we chose to go with Toyne. A few others offer some decent options but few seem to be as "usable" as Toyne's.

Forum Member

Default forward facing enclosed top mount 4 x 4

Here is a truck I seen at the Michigan Firefighter memorial show a few years ago. It is a 4 x 4 Pierce chassis, top mount with the pump panel facing forward. I think it has CAFS too. Not sure on the amount of water it carried.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by taskforce16 View Post
    Here is a truck I seen at the Michigan Firefighter memorial show a few years ago. It is a 4 x 4 Pierce chassis, top mount with the pump panel facing forward. I think it has CAFS too. Not sure on the amount of water it carried.
    Got any shots of the panel? I'm curious how it is laid out in this unit.

Forum Member

Here is the other side of that unit.

I'm not too sure how that would work. It appears that it is just a side mount enclosed by roll ups unless the controls are in the cab.

Forum Member

Default Plainfield Twp pump panel

Got any shots of the panel? I'm curious how it is laid out in this unit.
    I can't find of the pics of the interior pumpanel. I do recall l that the forward facing pump panel was just to the rear of the engine tunnel. I think all the valves were electric so there were no linkages.The crew seats were along the back wall of the cab.

The side pump panels had your typical intakes, discharges and speedlays.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the box with the deck plate lid for???

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    What's the box with the deck plate lid for???
    Oil dry hopper. The lid on top is for filling it, and there is a slide out "door" on the bottom secrued by a thumb screw that allows you to drain the material into a bucket or such. The handle allows you to lift one end of the hopper so the material slides to the end with the drain hole.

Thread Information