Thread: Conditioning

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Conditioning

What is the quickest way to get in shape I am not talking about heavy lifting wise or cardio just conditioning wise. I have heard running stairs and long distance running what is the fastest

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out www.rosstraining.com. If you don't have any equipment, you can do the workouts at the bottom of the articles. I did the sequential fatigue challenge at the track yesterday, and it beat me up pretty good. These workouts challenge your anerobic/lactate energy systems, which are needed for fireground activities. Most academies, including mine, rely heavily on distance running, and high rep calisthenics. The nice thing about anerobic/lactate training is that you'll have significant carryover to steady state cardio, but the carryover from distance running to higher intensity activities seems to be poor. That's why wrestlers and mixed martial artists do higher intensity cardio, instead of only running. Some crossfit workouts are good, but I don't like the randomness of the wod's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    i have two of his books and i have been doing the 50 day workout from infinite intensity, and i have noticed an extreme increase in strength and stamina. his conditioning workouts are phenomenal. i like the randomness of crossfit, but working-out is a matter of finding out what works for you, and exploiting it for all its benefits.

also, run, run, run. nothing beats roadwork, other than more roadwork.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cross Fit Stuff is great

Cross training is great. I suggest high intensity interval training, sprints, distance running, jumping rope. And, the mac-daddy fun workouts of cross fit are great! They are not for the faint of heart. The rosstraining site looks great too. Again- not for beginners.

On the running thing: It's best to change things up as often as possible. Try to do something slightly different every time you work out. If you run 3 days: Do hills one day, Do sprint walk intervals the next, and do long and slow the next. The next week, instead of your sprint-walk day, do sprint jog, each interval for 20 seconds. Instead of your long and slow day, do fartlek*for 25 minutes. On your hill day, do sprint repeaters up the same hill over and over, walk down.

*Fartlek is an interval training thing where you switch up and do something different for a period of time, then something else, then another. Intervals might be: jog, sprint, walk, backpeddle, grapevine right lead, jog, walking lunges, sprint, grapevine left lead, frog jump, jog, sprint, side shuffle right lead, sprint, walk, sprint, walk, side shuffle left lead...

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 09-16-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Forum Member

I like everything you guys had to say. Also its great to hear so much interest and knowledge about fitness.

The only thing I would add, even though you hinted you might not like it, is that there is no replacing the weights.

When I'm working with someone new to fitness I always start with motivation then break down exercise like this: the body is an amazing, adaptable machine. Cardiovascular conditioning makes our machine more efficient. We make the most of what we have to work with. Weight resistance however changes the machine. More muscle burns more calories making the change we want to see in ourselves (motivation) occur much more quickly.

Fitness to me is balance. Balance in our diet. Balance in the gym.

Maybe my rambling is more philosophy than anything else but perhaps it will help.

Forum Member

The abyss of a medic rig in Solano County ---> Bay Area.

Is there a website that takes account the weight vest into the workouts?
    Fire to be hired

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hyrisk View Post
    Is there a website that takes account the weight vest into the workouts?
    I don't know what you mean, exactly. If you're training with a weight vest, try to avoid any plyometric/ballistic training(running also). It's too easy to get injured. Try wearing one during your entire gym session. Doing squats, lunges, pullups, stepmill, etc will be much more fun.

Forum Member

So it's been three months... how's it going?

I'm a life-long runner who started swimming about three weeks ago. Let me tell you, the first week was humbling. I have no problems going 10 miles on Saturdays, but 100 meters in the pool that first week was completely exhausting. It took me about 40 minutes to go 500 meters during my first week. This week I went 1000 meters in 40 minutes, which is probably still slow, but it's a good example of how swimming is a quick way to improve both your aerobic and anaerobic capacities. I've noticed improvements in my running because of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default crossfit.com

As a former Marine and avid powerlifter nothing has gotten me in greater shape than following the crossfit training regime. I am still strong and am continually getting leaner, faster and more flexible. Some of the workouts can be done on air if you are really into getting in great shape. When I hired in 5+yrs ago I weighed 235 I am a little under 190 and just as strong.My 5k went from 28min to 24min.

Forum Member

I second the crossfit. Its the best workout program Ive ever done. Once you start crossfit, you cant imagine going back to a normal gym workout..Im a female firemedic, and crossfit has really gotten me to the level that I need to be at to do my job.

Forum Member

Default CrossFit

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    crossfit scmossfit, I do good ole free weights and running, sometimes cycling. I used to workout with 2 cop buddies of mine, both of them left the free weights and now do crossfit in the gymnasium at our gym. All they talk about is how much better it is, funny how now I outlast them when we spar in boxing, and jujitsu and wrestling and EVERYTHING else we do. We've always been about par with each other, now it seems as if I'm taking a lead since they've started crossfit. Maybe they're doing something wrong, who knows. All I know is I'm sticking to what works for me.
    Its a wonder why John Hackleman (World famous MMA trainer) use Crossfit in his training. And how BJ Penn and his trainers created the CrossFit workout "Fight Gone Bad" to prepare him for the octagon.
    CrossFit has shown in every comparison to be better than most workout routines. And nothing can simulate the work output needed for the fireground qite like CrossFit.
    most of our elite fighting forces use Crossfit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Weights/cardio

I agree with hefightsfire... cardio... just cardio is not nearly enough for you guys. You need to work alot harder than that! Weight training is super important. Weight vest is super important. I suggest hi intensity interval training. Here's an example of using a weight vest for interval training... and very simple. It would be for someone who is already in pretty decent shape. Get your doctors' OK. Warm up first. Stop if you start to feel dizzy or nauseous (I have to say that stuff- I'm a doctor).
    Set up an area to do a circuit. Put your weight vest on- you decide how much weight you put in it. Start light and work up. No rest, finish the last and go back to the top.

2 minutes in step mill or versa climber
    20 push ups (drop to knees if you can't finish)
    20 walking lunges
    15 lat pulls- make it heavy enough that you struggle on the last rep.

Go through this circuit 4 times at first, work up to 8 times through over a couple of months.

Make it interesting by adding a few bars of weight to your weight vest each time you go through the circuit. (A bar is 2.5 lbs in my vest).

When you finish that, take off your weight vest and try this circuit below. No rest. Go 4 times through and work up to 8 times.

jump rope 2 minutes- 140 rpms
    push ups to failure- wide grip for more lats
    20 walking lunges with weights in each hand (10-40, depending on you)
    15 on each side, 1 armed cable pulls: see pic here, click and scroll down to the very bottom.

Go back to the jump rope.

More ideas for leg strengthening: heavy leg press super setted with jump rope and walking lunges in a circuit.

You see, just cardio won't do it for you guys/gals. You have to push it it way harder than just cardio- or even ruinning stairs to do what you need to do...

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default you did say cop buddies right?

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    crossfit scmossfit, I do good ole free weights and running, sometimes cycling. I used to workout with 2 cop buddies of mine, both of them left the free weights and now do crossfit in the gymnasium at our gym. All they talk about is how much better it is, funny how now I outlast them when we spar in boxing, and jujitsu and wrestling and EVERYTHING else we do. We've always been about par with each other, now it seems as if I'm taking a lead since they've started crossfit. Maybe they're doing something wrong, who knows. All I know is I'm sticking to what works for me.
    Do what you want but I was a skeptic and tried it for two months and I am hooked. I have trained in a bunch of differerent methods and this is the most effective I've used. Honestly everyone knows cops can't fight. Try it out if it doesn't work dump it.

Thread Information