Thread: Virginia Beach

Forum Member

Default Virginia Beach

Does anyone have info on their hiring process? Doesn't seem to be much on their website besides they have a written and a physical test.

Do they do background or poly? Oral interview? Panel interview?

Any info would help...thanks!
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

i took va beach's test a few years ago. they give you a study guide like most other fire dept's, the difference being that the book relates SPECIFIC information about the VBFD, and every answer comes from the book, so if you want the job know that book cover to cover.

I remember one question was 'how long do you have to work for someone after they work for you?'

MembersZone Subscriber

So common....what is the answer? haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Does anyone have info on their hiring process? Doesn't seem to be much on their website besides they have a written and a physical test.

Do they do background or poly? Oral interview? Panel interview?

Any info would help...thanks!
    You get their study guide for their written test and only get the invite to take their agility upon passing the written, then they bring you in for a polygraph while they're doing the background check (yes, they sent out investigators for the locals) and then they sit you down before 1-2 battalion chiefs and a capt or two. I went through their process 4 years ago and left the department.

Forum Member

I already started a thread about this but it seems to have faded into the other pages. Evanbell, yes they do have a polygraph. This link here has a complete run down on how their process works, including specific dates of when things are going down. http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dep...pp_process.pdf

Anyway, where is this book you can purchase? Is it on their website? Also, does anybody have any additional information as to how many they may be hiring and more specifically how many are going to apply. they must score the written test quick I'm assuming? The last CPAT practice session available is November 3rd, yet my written is already October 17th! I hope we can get our results before the 3rd. Be a waste to drive all the way out there to the CPAT practice only to find out you're not going onto it. Idk.. anywayyy... anyone with any additional information regarding the hiring "specs" on this department would be awesome.

Forum Member

Default Physical test

So i was looking a bit more... Apparently VBFD doesn't put on a CPAT. They have their own form of a physical agility test... Video found here...http://www.vbgov.com/video.aspx?cate...10021a0e0a____

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post

Anyway, where is this book you can purchase? Is it on their website? Also, does anybody have any additional information as to how many they may be hiring and more specifically how many are going to apply. they must score the written test quick I'm assuming? The last CPAT practice session available is November 3rd, yet my written is already October 17th! I hope we can get our results before the 3rd. Be a waste to drive all the way out there to the CPAT practice only to find out you're not going onto it. Idk.. anywayyy... anyone with any additional information regarding the hiring "specs" on this department would be awesome.
    Look, I'll help you with the study book. If I recall correctly it is sold in the Municipal Center off North Landing Rd and Princess Anne Road behind Company 5.

As for the "how many will they hire" or "how many are applying" type questions.....

Do YOU want the job? If you feel that: you meet the qualifications, you have a clean past, you are willing to commit to the time and work required to get hired, and believe that you truly are the best candidate that the Virginia Beach Fire Dept would want AND WANT to work for the Virginia Beach Fire Dept......

Then apply.

From the tone of your posts, you are wishy washy if you want to work here. You are faced with a decision if you want to work here.

1. You can apply and TRY
    or
    2. You can worry about what other people are doing, do nothing and not get the job.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Look, I'll help you with the study book. If I recall correctly it is sold in the Municipal Center off North Landing Rd and Princess Anne Road behind Company 5.

As for the "how many will they hire" or "how many are applying" type questions.....

Do YOU want the job? If you feel that: you meet the qualifications, you have a clean past, you are willing to commit to the time and work required to get hired, and believe that you truly are the best candidate that the Virginia Beach Fire Dept would want AND WANT to work for the Virginia Beach Fire Dept......

Then apply.

From the tone of your posts, you are wishy washy if you want to work here. You are faced with a decision if you want to work here.

1. You can apply and TRY
    or
    2. You can worry about what other people are doing, do nothing and not get the job.
    I appreciate the information regarding the book... Look.. I'm not trying to sound wishy washy. I'm just curious as to what to expect so to speak. Even if 40,000 people were to apply and they were only hiring 10, I would still apply... It's more of a curiosity thing rather than being a deciding factor on whether or not to make the trip. But Virgina Beach is an awesome FD and I am very excited to take this process.

Forum Member

I already started a thread about this but it seems to have faded into the other pages. Evanbell, yes they do have a polygraph. This link here has a complete run down on how their process works, including specific dates of when things are going down. http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dep...pp_process.pdf

Wow! Background investigation AND a polygraph...first I've heard of that!
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Wow! Background investigation AND a polygraph...first I've heard of that!
    Yeah, their process seems pretty rigorous but I'm still pumped for it nonetheless.

MembersZone Subscriber

DocVBFDE14: Did you get my PM?

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a heads up guys there is no study book you can buy for this test. I spoke with Lori this afternoon and she said that they are not using that test for the upcoming exam. The only study guide is the one found on the website.

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if they plan on taking everyone who passes a certain percentage to the CPAT or are they gonna rank it and take an "x" amount of numbers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if they plan on taking everyone who passes a certain percentage to the CPAT or are they gonna rank it and take an "x" amount of numbers.
    I am not sure. Maybe they will let us know at the test? Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I do know 1/2 of the Volunteer Support Techs in the VBFD are taking the test which is probably a good 20 of us and 90% of us have made it to the final interview last year and did not get hired and that is why we ended up Volunteering for that extra kick in the door. So I would probably say 5 to 10 of the VST may get in this time. So you would have to count that in as too how many get hired. www.ovfd8.org
    Last edited by amandaandtommy; 10-09-2008 at 03:53 AM.
    Tommy

VBFD Volunteer Support Tech.
    www.ovfd8.org

Moyock Fire Dept. - Firefighter
    www.moyockfd.com

Forum Member

good luck to everyone taking the test Thursday

Forum Member

mm.. isnt it friday? mine is anyway..

Forum Member

whooops my bad yes it is friday

MembersZone Subscriber

Have some Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs for me!! Good Luck fellas

Forum Member

So what did everyone think of the test?

Forum Member

eh wasn't to bad. i took it with a friend who had taken previous years test and said he preferred the other way with the study book they gave you. i think i would have rather it that way also.

Forum Member

Yeah.. at least 70 percent of the test seemed to be that psychological bull crap and opinionated questions. Especially those pictures... what was up with that?

Forum Member

i don't know with the pictures it seemed like they asked the same questions twice, once with the pictures once without kinda screwy but did they tell anyone how many they would accept to the physical test?

Forum Member

I was talking with one of the captains and he said that he heard they were planning on taking 75 to 100 to the physical portion of the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well good luck to everyone and hope you all moved on. Practice the PT test and prepare for the Gerkin Protocol on the treadmil. not needed right away, but better to start preparing now.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Thread Information