Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Where are the inline shutoff valves installed on your airbag rescue systems hoses?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Controller end

8 50.00%
  • Bag end

7 43.75%
  • Notta clue

1 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Inline Shutoff Valves for Airbag Systems

Simply an unscientific poll....where are your inline shutoff valves installed for your air bag rescue systems...at the controller end OR at the bag end of the hose?

Forum Member

I think I know where you are headed, but.... ours and our neighbor (with a different brand) are not "installed", they are separate and can be put either place.
    We have several hoses and opt to put them on the controller end to keep personnel as far from the bags under load as possible.
    I could see not having but a few hoses and having to do the opposite.

What is the point to the question????????

Forum Member

canonrescue1
    "I think I know where you are headed, but.... ours and our neighbor (with a different brand) are not "installed", they are separate and can be put either place.
    We have several hoses and opt to put them on the controller end to keep personnel as far from the bags under load as possible.
    I could see not having but a few hoses and having to do the opposite.

What is the point to the question????????"

Diddo...............what is the question?
    We have plenty of hoses and do both ways.

Forum Member

I want to change my vote... they are are ALL on the controller end. Too early in the morning to answer a poll!!

Contoller end...

Forum Member

We have ours on the Controler End.
    It's a homemade unit with 4 valved outlets, each outlet has its own safety valve between the valve and bag.

nc

Hehe, Loaded question! For "ultimate"control,I'd put them on the bag end,takes a blown/damaged hose out of the equasion.It does,however,expose you to the bag and the load.Now if you put them on the controller end,you are theoretically "safer" but you have the possibility of the hose getting cut/damaged which will let the air off your bag. Are you confused yet? T.C.

Forum Member

LOL! Our department recently issued every ladder company a set of airbags. They want us to attach the safety to the bag. Funny thing is, given a set of 4 bags, they only issued 1 safety valve. The trainer blamed it on a "budget issue".
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

I have to say this is a good discussion/poll, its unfortunate that so very few have partaken in this poll.

I'm sure there could be a long discussion on the merits of where to place them.

I would also be curious where ones pressure relief valves are installed, which maybe I will start a topic/poll on that

On our's it is a shutoff and a relief valve. They are put on the bag end of the hoses. Being on the bag lets us pull the hoses off if need be and assures the bag still has the safety of the relief valve.

Yes, having it on the bag end does put people in harms way should something fail. But so does going in a burning building.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Deja Vu

Wow I ran this same question on another board. Our old system (2216) had the shut offs on the bag end of the hose so you could disco the hose and get it out of the way. Our new system (4500) came with the shutoffs on the controller end of the hoses. The answers I got was that is considered safer not to mess around up close to the bag once it's inflated so they put the shutoffs near the controller. Our thought was that if you disco. at the controller you now have a 15 or 30 foot hose laying around that could be stepped on, the valve could be opened by mistake, or the hose could be cut -deflating the bag!!! We didn't alter the system or hoses and left it as it is BUT we began training that if you need to disconnect a hose that it is watched closely by the control person or somone else is assigned to keep it safe. I still like it at the bag myself.

Thread Information