Thread: Glasses?

Forum Member

Default Glasses?

Hey all,

I'm new on these forums, but I'm excited to learn a lot from you guys who have been around for a while.

I've been a volunteer firefighter for 4 years now, and I've been seriously thinking about trying to become paid. One of the questions I have is about glasses... I wear prescription glasses. At my department, I have my own SCBA mask that has glasses with my prescription fitted into the mask.

How do paid departments feel about this? Do paid departments allow contacts? Because I would definitely get contacts if that's allowed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ray

Forum Member

To an extent, you'll have to ask the specific departments that you might apply to. However, I'm not specifically aware of any FDs that prohibit the wearing of contacts and know of several firefighters who wear them (myself included). I'd recommend extended-wear personally.

Some FDs now issue their FFs a SCBA facepiece for their individual use. If that's the case, then you should have no problem getting it outfitted with eye glass inserts.

Forum Member

At my career department, we had our own masks, with the manufacturer's SCBA glasses-inserts issued by the department. Lenses were also purchased by the dept, and anytime I changed prescription, they got new lenses.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

My department issues every member their own mask and will get prescription inserts for those who need them. I know alot of guys who wear glasses but skip this option. Many choose to just wear their contacts. Not really a big problem.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

We each have our own issued masks and the dept issues the frames but we have to pay for the lenses. I only use the glasses in my mask when my contacts are acting up.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I think I'm going to give contacts a go. It'd just be much less of a hassle. Plus it can't hurt to just try them. I didn't know if there would be any issues with the contacts and the amount of heat encountered during interior firefighting, or anything like that.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFHolt View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I think I'm going to give contacts a go. It'd just be much less of a hassle. Plus it can't hurt to just try them. I didn't know if there would be any issues with the contacts and the amount of heat encountered during interior firefighting, or anything like that.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

I have never had any heat related issues with contacts but do yourself a favor and get a set of the SCBA frames and keep them on the truck with you. You never know when your going to have a problem with your contacts.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Question Osha ??

I am pretty sure OSHA has some things to say about contacts and SCBA...I think it relates to the differance between hard lens and soft lens and their reaction to postive pressure masks. If my aging memory serves me right, hard lens are prohibited and soft lens allowed...anyone got the lowdown for sure on this??
    Pray for the dead, fight like hell for the living! - Mother Jones

Thread Information