Forum Member

Default NJ Paid Departments

I was wondering if there is a specific place to look for when the paid depts in NJ are testing and hiring? I've been looking around for Jersey City in particular, and can't seem to find anything.

Anyone know anything on this?

Forum Member

almost all the urban cities in NJ hire off the civil service list. the downside to this is you have to have residency to test for a department, get hired, and often to work for said department. some of the suburban cities also hire from the civil service list. check this site out http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...fety/index.htm for info from the DOP

there are a bunch of combo departments in mercer county. they hire infrequently, often hire per diems, and post FT tests in the local papers. some work mon-fri, days only, or 24s. it all depends. not sure what other counties have paid staff that don't hire off the civil service list.

getting hired in NJ is very difficult. for civil service, you need to put all your eggs in one basket move to an area that hires off the list, and hope you get picked up. better choice would be to move to either Md or Va. they will pick you up , esp if you get your medic. several guys from my former fire district have gotten hired in DC and Va.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Well I'm currently living in Jersey City while attending college (I was told my dorm could count for residency, can someone confirm that?). I'm hoping that I can test while I'm here, even if I don't get hired now, at least for the experience of testing and what it's like, so I know for next time.

I'm still looking for any information. It seems like there's nothing out there, or I'm just looking completely in the wrong areas. =\

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

I'm almost 100% certain that a dormitory IS a form of residency. Don't hold me to that, though, as that's just my memory talking.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Thread Information