Thread: urban interface

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation urban interface

I was wondering if anyone has designed a urban interface rig (4-door comm. cab, 4 x 4, all decked out) that is 1901 compliant as a engine company? I have thought of pushing to replace a reserve engine with this type or rig. There are times a apparatus of this design would have been nice. We are mostly rural with a huge increase in urban interface problem. In the winter we mostly get icy roads and get about 2 real snow storms a year. Right know we use ford F450 with 200 gallon slip in and a refular structure engine that would get tore to hell if we attempted to get up some rural driveways. ANy ideas?

Forum Member

Forum Member

Here is an example of an E-One International 4x4 1250/1000
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

I run one. Look at my avatar to the left and you can get an idea of what it looks like. Shoot me a PM if you'd like more info. We're 5-man cab, 4wd, 1000gpm pump and roll, 500 water, class A foam, 875' of 5", 2 x 1-3/4" preconnects, 1 2-1/2" preconnect, basic extrication equipment (cutter, spreader, air chisel, sawzall), chain saw, K-12 style saw, fan, etc.

There's a few things I would do different, but I love the truck and what it offers for OUR needs. I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, because I'm not running their fires.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rosenbauer

Check out the 4x4 Timberwolf from Rosenbauer built on an IH chassis. I believe it is compliant as both a Type 1 Structure and Type 3 Interface vehicle. Its expensive but it comes with a 20 year warranty and lots of new trick tech. If you want maximum maneuverability for those unimproved roads and driveways you might consider a 4x4 custom chassis truck, they hold resale value better thank Comm trucks, have shorter wheel bases and better visibility. Spartan and HME both make 4x4 custom chassis that a variety of builders use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire1 View Post
    Check out the 4x4 Timberwolf from Rosenbauer built on an IH chassis. I believe it is compliant as both a Type 1 Structure and Type 3 Interface vehicle. Its expensive but it comes with a 20 year warranty and lots of new trick tech. If you want maximum maneuverability for those unimproved roads and driveways you might consider a 4x4 custom chassis truck, they hold resale value better thank Comm trucks, have shorter wheel bases and better visibility. Spartan and HME both make 4x4 custom chassis that a variety of builders use.

The Rosenbauer Timber wolves are really getting popular, and we have demoed them out here (liked it). Pierce does the HAWK series as well which is quite similar, and almost any manufacturer will build these short wheelbase models now.

I would love to get a closer look at one of these HME RAT's though for a multi role truck. Looks like it could build a nice custom with some decent interface capabilities.

http://www.hmeahrensfox.com/RAT.asp
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Forum Member

Interesting read with a list of manufacturers at the bottom of the article....

http://firechief.com/mag/firefightin...eets_backyard/

MembersZone Subscriber
    "We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

Forum Member

saltspringfire,

Is it being built in SC or at the Hamburg NY plant?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireLineEquip View Post
    saltspringfire,

Is it being built in SC or at the Hamburg NY plant?
    Well.... the pre-con was done in Sandford, which is no more, and I believe we have been offically placed at the Ephrata Facility in PA.

I'm looking forward to my 2nd pre-con meeting there since we had such a long list from Sandford.
    "We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

Reliance

Forum Member

Ephrata will take care of you, good luck with your build!

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a new Timberwolf.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Here is our new truck so far we like it.
    http://www.generalfire.com/Trucks/Ne...incolnfpd1.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LCFD1L101 View Post
    Here is our new truck so far we like it.
    http://www.generalfire.com/Trucks/Ne...incolnfpd1.pdf
    I note that the description says a 1000 GPM Waterous CXPA pump but the pictures show a Darley cap on the steamer inlet and a Darley relief valve. It is a Darley pump that is crossmount driven, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    I note that the description says a 1000 GPM Waterous CXPA pump but the pictures show a Darley cap on the steamer inlet and a Darley relief valve. It is a Darley pump that is crossmount driven, right?
    yes they didn't change their spec sheet to what was built.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Urban Interface Engine Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has designed a urban interface rig (4-door comm. cab, 4 x 4, all decked out) that is 1901 compliant as a engine company? I have thought of pushing to replace a reserve engine with this type or rig. There are times a apparatus of this design would have been nice. We are mostly rural with a huge increase in urban interface problem. In the winter we mostly get icy roads and get about 2 real snow storms a year. Right know we use ford F450 with 200 gallon slip in and a refular structure engine that would get tore to hell if we attempted to get up some rural driveways. ANy ideas?
    Take a look at the SMEAL website as I designed a MF (Multi-Functional) Engine for Riverside County CA back in 2003 that was designed to take the place of a Type I, II and III Engine and functioned as both a Wildland Interface as well as Urban Structural Engine.

The first version featured a OAL of 26 ft. and a very short 160" WB using a Spartan Sierra SMFD Cab seating 4 with a 2000 GPM Waterous Pump and a separate Waterous Diesel Auxilary Pump to allow Pump & Roll with a 500 G Water and 30 G Foam Tank. These Engines were designed for both off road applications with a great angle of approach and departure.
    As well they carry ALL the equipment they needed including a Amkus HRT System.

There are over 75 delivered and a number of FD's in CA have 'Tagged On' to the order and now they have just renewed the contract for another 5 years and have gone to a MFD Cab with 166" WB and can be in a 500 or 750 G Water Tank. As well a "Commercial" version is available and Idllywild CA has one as well as a FD in CO.

Thread Information