Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Interruption Technology FIT-5 Live Training

All chiefs and those in leadership positions.

Live burn training session to be held in Windsor Locks, CT

Wednesday October 8, at 11am

All are invited, please save the date.

Find more info at http://www.usfiretech.com

Please contact us to set up a training session nearby.

MembersZone Subscriber

Connecticut State Fire Academy
    Oct 8, 2008
    FIT-5 Training Session

With regards to our live session, held 10/8/08.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our training session on October 8th at The State Fire Academy went absolutly perfect.

The State Fire Insructors and those in attendance were amazed with the performance of the FIT 5.

The fire was knocked down and the temp dropped from over 1000 degrees to under 200 degrees within 30 seconds.

All in attendance can vouch for the products usefulness as an additional tool in our arsenol.

We are in the process of putting together an info sheet regarding the training session.

Although my words are totally credible, the MOST credible thoughts/comments will come from those CT ff's who were present.

Please give us a few days to compile this information. I am hoping to also include contact info for those present.

This is a new innovation, I fully expect some doubts/hesitation from the fire service.

Perhaps, comments from your colleagues will persuade you to take a closer look at The FIT 5

Call me anytime.
    http://www.usfiretech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firehouse Magazine

Firehouse.com Home > News Headlines

New Jersey Department's 'Grenade' Tames Flames

Posted: 10-31-2008
    Updated: 10-31-2008 05:14:04 PM

E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

By MICHAEL J. FEENEY
    North Jersey Media Group

POMPTON LAKES -- Flames were shooting from a Pompton Lakes home Wednesday when a firefighter tossed a 10-pound canister into heavy flames on the second floor.

The canister quickly released a non-hazardous chemical that drastically reduced the temperature of the blaze.

"It slowed the fire down from traveling to the other side [of the second floor]," said Fire Chief Dean Cioppa. The main body of the fire was extinguished within 10 minutes.

"In my career, that was the fastest knockdown I've ever seen for the amount of fire that it was," said Cioppa, a veteran of more than 20 years.

The family of five at 422 Montclair Ave. escaped without any injuries shortly before 8 a.m., the chief said, adding that the home is still habitable.

The fire remains under investigation, he said, but early indications are that it was started by a child playing with matches.

The 10-pound canister -- received by the Fire Department on Monday -- is known as Fire Interruption Technology, or FIT-5.

"It definitely helped us get more access," Cioppa said. "It knocked down some initial fire and stopped it from traveling.

Nearly 40 fire departments statewide have been equipped with the FIT-5 since it made its debut earlier this year in West Milford.

"It's the best device they ever came out with," said Bob Castro, fire chief of West Milford's Company 2, citing an April blaze the FIT-5 helped halt. "It knocked out the fire within seconds."

His Jefferson Township colleagues used the device to contain that fire to the basement.

"I had no idea what it was at first," said Castro, an 18-year veteran, describing the device as the size of a lunch box. The FIT-5 costs $1,300. "They're very expensive, but it's worth it," he said. "I would recommend every fire department have one of these."

More than 100 fire departments in the U.S. have the product, most of them in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

North Jersey departments with the device include Bloomingdale, Kinnelon and Butler, according to ARA Safety, the Canada-based company that makes the product.

The "fire-knockdown tool" has gained popularity in the U.S. over the past year, said Michael Gardiner, director of marketing for ARA Safety.

Very similar to a grenade, it deploys after a pin is pulled and the canister is tossed into the fire.

It emits a large cloud of extremely fine potassium salt that brings down the temperature and in some cases eliminates the flames, Gardiner said.

Fast facts

* One of the first FIT-5s employed in the U.S. was used to keep a propane tank from exploding.

* The dealer, Firefighter One, provided the FIT-5 and trained the Pompton Lakes Fire Department to use it on Monday night, just hours before the Montclair Avenue fire.

* Pompton Lakes Fire Chief Dean Cioppa said it took about three months of fund-raising to buy three of the devices at $1,300 each.

Thread Information