Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Default Worcester Hiring anytime soon?

I was looking at their site....

http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/wfd/index.html

and it said on there that they would be accepting apps. in 2008. Anyone know if this test has already been given or if they still have yet to administer it? I am really interested and would love any and all information if possible.

I was out in Boston and that area about 8 years ago and would love to move out to the east coast sometime. I would really appreciate any and all info. if you guys have any on this department. I did a search and the only thing that came up as far as their hiring was an announcement for the test they did back in 2006.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 09-12-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

The test is over, the next one will be in 2010. See you there.

Forum Member

what type of test did they put on? I saw the link on their webpage was showing civil service type exams. Is that what they still used? How many guys showed up for the last test?
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

you need to be a resident and for the most part you need to be a veteran. If not you pretty much dont have a chance.

Forum Member

The next Massachusetts Civil Service firefighter entrance exam will be held in 2010. It is given every two years. It is a statewide examination.

Most cities and towns that use the civil service/ Department of Personnel Adminstration exam have residency requirements, which vary between cities and towns.

Sons and daughters of firefighters and cops killed in the line of duty go to the top of the list.

Veterans get additional points added to their final score and get preference.

Residents of the community they apply to work in get preference in hiring.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The next Massachusetts Civil Service firefighter entrance exam will be held in 2010. It is given every two years. It is a statewide examination.

Most cities and towns that use the civil service/ Department of Personnel Adminstration exam have residency requirements, which vary between cities and towns.

Sons and daughters of firefighters and cops killed in the line of duty go to the top of the list.

Veterans get additional points added to their final score and get preference.

Residents of the community they apply to work in get preference in hiring.

Correction: Veterans get preference not points. A veteran resident with a 70 gets hired before a non-veteran resident with a 100

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nfrcityjake View Post
    Correction: Veterans get preference not points. A veteran resident with a 70 gets hired before a non-veteran resident with a 100
    So let me get this straight. If, (and this is a big if) I got an almost perfect score (98-100%) on the written test, have a solid resume with 4-5 years experience (2-3 paid on call along with 2-3 career full time), along with certs in Firefighter I&II, my paramedic license, my haz-mat tech. cert.'s and possibly even an associate's or a bachelor's degree, and nothing at all against me criminal/drug/driving wise, they still will give two *****s about me basically?

They will put someone who has had 4 years military time, or who has lived in the town they are applying for ahead of someone who has demonstrated that this job is all he/she has ever wanted to do and has worked hard to achieve, even if the military guy got a low, **** poor score and the hardworking dedicated guy got a 100?

This seems very old school, bass acwardsish........I mean I know this used to exist, but it still does? Sounds kinda fishy.....

I sort of understand what they're implying with the son/daughter of a fallen firefighter thing. I'm not going to bring that up. But the other stuff just seems very archaic.
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 09-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Member

Welcome to the process with SOME big departments. I've been told not to bother looking at Boston FD for the same reason. Seems like there are some departments out there that you need to have been in the military or live in the city just to have a decent chance at getting hiried. There also seem to be some departments out there where you need to live in the city AND have military pref points for a good shot.
    Many of us are in the same boat, trying to find a good, hard working department that catches a lot of fires, where we have a decent shot at making the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachis4wheeling View Post
    So let me get this straight. If, (and this is a big if) I got an almost perfect score (98-100%) on the written test, have a solid resume with 4-5 years experience (2-3 paid on call along with 2-3 career full time), along with certs in Firefighter I&II, my paramedic license, my haz-mat tech. cert.'s and possibly even an associate's or a bachelor's degree, and nothing at all against me criminal/drug/driving wise, they still will give two *****s about me basically?

They will put someone who has had 4 years military time, or who has lived in the town they are applying for ahead of someone who has demonstrated that this job is all he/she has ever wanted to do and has worked hard to achieve, even if the military guy got a low, **** poor score and the hardworking dedicated guy got a 100?
    This is a pretty whiny post. If you don't like it, test somewhere that cares about your academic knowledge, medic and H/M tech licensures. There are still FD's out there that want blue collar workers that know what a good days work is, and know what their role as an entry level member of the team is. I am guessing you would not be happy in that type of Dept. Find yourself a Dept that will value your collegiate experience, book knowledge and time & grade as soon as you get hired.

While my time in the fire service amounts to about as much as a drop of water in a pond, I have yet to find a Dept that fights good fire and is as established and traditional (like WFD) and also gives a crap about what you've done prior to getting on the job, other than if it landed you in prison or not. When and if you do, let me know..because I have not.

It has been posted time and time again here...it doesn't so much matter what you've done before, but what you'll do when you get hired.

And I have missed out more than once to guys with Vet. Pref....it is what it is, and they earned it. If they are mutts, they will get routed out in the Academy..if not, they will continue to ensure our fire service remains true to its roots...blue collar with a para-military backbone.
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    This is a pretty whiny post. If you don't like it, test somewhere that cares about your academic knowledge, medic and H/M tech licensures. There are still FD's out there that want blue collar workers that know what a good days work is, and know what their role as an entry level member of the team is. I am guessing you would not be happy in that type of Dept. Find yourself a Dept that will value your collegiate experience, book knowledge and time & grade as soon as you get hired.

While my time in the fire service amounts to about as much as a drop of water in a pond, I have yet to find a Dept that fights good fire and is as established and traditional (like WFD) and also gives a crap about what you've done prior to getting on the job, other than if it landed you in prison or not. When and if you do, let me know..because I have not.

It has been posted time and time again here...it doesn't so much matter what you've done before, but what you'll do when you get hired.

And I have missed out more than once to guys with Vet. Pref....it is what it is, and they earned it. If they are mutts, they will get routed out in the Academy..if not, they will continue to ensure our fire service remains true to its roots...blue collar with a para-military backbone.
    Wow.....thems fighting words there! Didn't mean to brush into that chip ya got on yur shoulder there. Sorry man. Holy cow!

It amazes me how from one post, ya think ya got me figured out. It sounds like you're making me out to be a white collar bookworm with no blue collar real world working experience at all. Just some classroom jockie with more certs on my walls than wallpaper.

While I do have, and am always trying to get a lot of certificates from various trainings and whatnot, I actually am not one of the "lucky" few who can breeze through tests without any effort, and am far from a "training jockey" type firefighting candidate.

I actually have worked in construction (both commercial and residential) for the past 8 years. I was a carpenters helper, a carpenters apprentice, and a lead carpenter on a couple jobs. I have also worked as a mason's laborer/tender. I have worked on a farm for a while in the past as well and I really don't think you can get much more blue collar than this. I feel that I have an advantage in the building construction area over some other guys who may not have been as fortunate as me to have had these types of jobs.

I really don't want to get into a ****ing match with ya over this and do appreciate your honesty and sincerity.

As far as finding you a department like WFD, it sounds like Worcester is an old school traditional department, kind of like Detroit, which, as a matter of fact has always been my dream place to work. Detroit is is a department that is one of the hardest working, and hardest to get accepted into in the country. Trust me bro, I know what you're saying about the traditional vs. modern fire service side of things.

Instead of ONLY working my blue collar job though, or ONLY joining the military, I have chosen to educate myself in hopes that it will help on down the road with getting a job. This is the only job I've ever wanted to do. I have loaded up on certificates and training though so that I have a lot of other options in the meantime until I get my shot at a larger department where they put you through their own academy; instead of waiting around like a lot of guys do until the big old school department hires, and then not being as prepared as I could be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zachis4wheeling View Post
    ...certs in Firefighter I&II, my paramedic license, my haz-mat tech. cert.'s and possibly even an associate's or a bachelor's degree,... they still will give two *****s about me basically?

This seems very old school, bass acwardsish........I mean I know this used to exist, but it still does? Sounds kinda fishy.....

...just seems very archaic.

Wow.....thems fighting words there! Didn't mean to brush into that chip ya got on yur shoulder there. Sorry man. Holy cow!
    It amazes me how from one post, ya think ya got me figured out. It sounds like you're making me out to be a white collar bookworm with no blue collar real world working experience at all. Just some classroom jockie with more certs on my walls than wallpaper.
    I have chosen to educate myself in hopes that it will help on down the road with getting a job.
    Zach, I stick by my statement. If you want your efforts to count, find the Dept that will use it. And I have yet to find a larger Dept that will care about what those efforts are, secondary to military time, a degree in anything, and felony charges/drugs. And the degree thing is a toss, mostly it is a certain amount of college credits (see Houston FD, 60 semester hours I believe).

I don't have a 'chip'. I am passionate about this job, and it fires me up when candidates think they are 'owed' something more than the man or woman who voluntarily signed up to work for >2,000 p/mo and go to the 'sandbox' for our Country.

Or for the resident, who has invested their working adult life and wages into the local economy to help sustain and foster growth in the community.

Or the Journey-level ironman or punk who scales structural i-beams with their hands and calves to make a living.

Your degrees show dedication and purseverance in achieving something. You got your FF 1/2 to be a better educated fireman. You got your PM to provide the most definitive care possible to your community.
    UNLESS...you did all of that to get hired...

What it all comes down to is like I keep saying....if you want your background to matter, find a Dept that cares...generally speaking, a *smaller* Dept., that will probably run even more medical than fire compared to the norm of today, that have their hands into all possible fire safety/pub ed./prevention aspects of the job, and are probably Brunacini disciples. And theres nothing wrong with that...well, that is for another topic and debate, at least.

If you want a larger, more traditional, structured Dept that runs some actual fire duty....acknowledge the fact that your background will mean didly for a good amount of time when you get on the job.

Is that a more PC way to get my point out there?
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattyS View Post
    I don't have a 'chip'. I am passionate about this job, and it fires me up when candidates think they are 'owed' something more than the man or woman who voluntarily signed up to work for >2,000 p/mo and go to the 'sandbox' for our Country.

Or for the resident, who has invested their working adult life and wages into the local economy to help sustain and foster growth in the community.

Or the Journey-level ironman or punk who scales structural i-beams with their hands and calves to make a living.

If you want a larger, more traditional, structured Dept that runs some actual fire duty....acknowledge the fact that your background will mean didly for a good amount of time when you get on the job.

Is that a more PC way to get my point out there?
    I completely understand what you're saying, and *basically* agree with hiring tradesman over PCness infected students as I really don't see the point in bein that PC like so many do.....there's already enough of that out there nowadays. It's like people are afraid to speak their minds nowadays or something. I guess it all depends on the department like you were saying....

I'm just lookin at the devils advocate point of view kickin in on what you said about the military.....

Like military dudes who, yea, might have gone to the sandbox and did their time, but didn't tell ya what they were doin over there......like servin Taco Bell on a safe base to people, yet the ones I'm talkin about come home and try and suck a lot of the credit away claiming they had a big heroic gun battle and whatnot. Tryin to steal the credit from the humble bros who were out doin the actual dirty work and whatnot while they were standing behind a counter askin "you want cinnamon twists with that?"

I do have the utmost respect for the men and women in our military who are humble about their service and whatnot and don't go around bangin their drums to someone elses beat, tryin to steal that guys thunder. But I'm sorry, and I know it ****es ya off, but it fires me up when I see guys workin their asses off over there, and then havin some punk back home who's got a stripe or two tryin to steal all the credit.....

Kind of like the guys on extremely slow fire departments who have more space covered up by stickers on the back window of their trucks than they have open space. You know the kind, lights all over the truck, yet never show up to medicals or lift assists, but want all the glory when a house fire comes along......

IDK man.....I;mma stop now before this thing gets all clogged up with non-Worcester B.S......

Thread Information