Forum Member

Default Firemedic looking for work

I just passed my state and I have been a medic for 2 years. I am looking for work preferrably close to where I live but im willing to go anywhere in the state at this point. I have called so many places including Sarasota County, Hillsborough, Tampa, various Pinellas County departments, Volusia to name a few and all have said either arent hiring, arent hiring till after the 1st of the year or just started a process that im too late for. This is really frustrating because I have my medic and I got all this stuff said to me while I was in school by instructors etc that I should be in the door in no time some place.

Does anyone have any information on current places hiring and their hiring process and time? Thanks...

The bills are piling up ugh...

BTW I have started the process for Orange County and I swear they have a process equivelant to being in the secret service...lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    I just passed my state and I have been a medic for 2 years. I am looking for work preferrably close to where I live but im willing to go anywhere in the state at this point. I have called so many places including Sarasota County, Hillsborough, Tampa, various Pinellas County departments, Volusia to name a few and all have said either arent hiring, arent hiring till after the 1st of the year or just started a process that im too late for. This is really frustrating because I have my medic and I got all this stuff said to me while I was in school by instructors etc that I should be in the door in no time some place.

Does anyone have any information on current places hiring and their hiring process and time? Thanks...

The bills are piling up ugh...

BTW I have started the process for Orange County and I swear they have a process equivelant to being in the secret service...lol
    Yeah, I know...it is like getting secret security clearance at the C.I.A. LOL!! If you are a Firemedic, we can certainly use you. My advice to you is to be patient. I wish you good luck in the hiring process.

Forum Member

Hey guys thanks for the responses...

FFPotenziano: I got the application filled out and sent and I called today to ask about the next process and I just missed the Agility class coming up so I have to wait until possibly after the first of the year. I hear Tampa is a great department and I also hear the pension is pretty sweet.

Dell205:

I take it you are in Orange County I grew up in Orlando that why my preference is Orange County. I know quite a few guys that work there and love it. I am very pro-ems so even if I had to spend most of my time on the box im happy with it. I have nothing to hide when it comes to polygraphs but they do make me nervous because I hear horror stories of false positives. Im preparing for the CPAT for when that time comes. Im so excited to start my career, the waiting just stinks lol.

Floater for life!!

I work for osceola county and word on teh street is we are possibly opening up a process in Oct for a starting date in Jan......since you have your medic patch you will be snatched up quick.....i could almost garauntee you a job.....and there is a good chance you will see more engine time int he coming months-years with us slowly becoming more medic heavy.....we start around the same if not more than the surrounding couties...PLUS we get kelly days every 7th shift....which Orlando is the only other dept in cent fla i am aware of having them.......check www.osceola.org in the coming weeks

Forum Member

Thanks E10, I actually filled out an App for Osceola and I am waiting to submit it when a opening becomes available.. That is good news I got a buddy of mine who works for Osceola, Brad Seley. Said he loves it. Whats the process consist of and is the agility test the CPAT?

thanks

Floater for life!!

The agility is a combat challenge.....there will be the written, then the EMS skills test, then the agility than an oral board.....like i said fiscal year begins oct so that is when i assume they are starting a process and the start date would be sometime in Jan.......word is this class will also consist of a group from Kissimmee as well training with our training dept i assume in preparation for future consolodation

OH!!!!.....and make sure you have your EVOC class done....it is a requirement for applying....if you odnt have it the academy does it once a month like the 3rd weekend or so

Forum Member

Ahh Combat challenge...im up for it =) I also have my EVOC so im already ahead of the game... I wish the position would open lol.

Forum Member

Firemedic, I think Tallahassee Fire Department might be hiring. However, they wont honor previous EVOC training from what i hear. I will pull up the link and send it to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Kissimmee is hiring right now also. It's a good, aggressive, department that burns and has great people working for them.

http://www.kissimmee.org/ch_dept_jobs.aspx
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Floater for life!!

word is the Kissimmee new hires will be trained by our training dept...i assume to prepare for the consolodation planned sometime in the next year or 2.....either way we do a lot of mutual aid with those guys and they are top notch as well......some of those guys cant wait for consolodation.....pay increase, state retirment and kelly days

Thread Information