Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default look to become a firefighter

hello all im new to the site, im 17 and im a JR in H.S and im really looking into becoming a fireman and i got some questions:
    -i heard that a lot of people try to become firemen every year and only so many get accepted, is it the same for Wildland Firefigting? beacuse m willing to go to that one of the one in the city is packed

-how much school do you need, and where do you go to go get it?

-im weak when it comes to seeing blood, as a matter of fact last week when i had some very spicy food and later i started having abdominal pains and i thought i had a swollen apendix, i passed out just thinking about it, luckily it was just my stomach not agreeing with the food, but anyways, you can get used to that right? because i always thought that your body can get used to anything if your around it long enough.

-what do you have to do for the physicall conditioning test? im no stranger to this because i play H.S football and i been playing since freshman year i just want to know what kind of things they make you do

-how much is the starting salary?

-how many jobs is there, because im sure each firefighter has assingments

-is me being short a bad thing and something that might make them change their minds about not taking me in, im only 5'8 170 lbs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alextherussian View Post
    hello all im new to the site, im 17 and im a JR in H.S and im really looking into becoming a fireman and i got some questions:
    -i heard that a lot of people try to become firemen every year and only so many get accepted, is it the same for Wildland Firefigting? beacuse m willing to go to that one of the one in the city is packed
    Perseverance is the name of the game. And I wouldn't throw the term 'Fireman' around too often. Firefighter is the key work these days.

-how much school do you need, and where do you go to go get it?
    Finish High School strong. Get into a Community College with a fire technology program, go to an Academy, get a BS if you feel, etc.

-im weak when it comes to seeing blood, as a matter of fact last week when i had some very spicy food and later i started having abdominal pains and i thought i had a swollen apendix, i passed out just thinking about it, luckily it was just my stomach not agreeing with the food, but anyways, you can get used to that right? because i always thought that your body can get used to anything if your around it long enough.
    Get used to it like... right now. Some places see 90% medical calls

-what do you have to do for the physicall conditioning test? im no stranger to this because i play H.S football and i been playing since freshman year i just want to know what kind of things they make you do
    Make sure you have endurance, rather than brute strength (but both are good). You will run, climb stairs, pull charged hose, raise ladders, and carry tools all in turnouts and a BA. Make sure you can do that

-how much is the starting salary?
    And you live.... where?

-how many jobs is there, because im sure each firefighter has assingments
    Ranks? Probationary FF, FF, Engineer, Captain, BC, DC etc. You job is to help the public.

-is me being short a bad thing and something that might make them change their minds about not taking me in, im only 5'8 170 lbs
    No. As long as you can perform, your in the clear.

And a side note, you a Junior in High School, start spelling like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Perseverance is the name of the game. And I wouldn't throw the term 'Fireman' around too often. Firefighter is the key work these days.

Finish High School strong. Get into a Community College with a fire technology program, go to an Academy, get a BS if you feel, etc.

Get used to it like... right now. Some places see 90% medical calls

Make sure you have endurance, rather than brute strength (but both are good). You will run, climb stairs, pull charged hose, raise ladders, and carry tools all in turnouts and a BA. Make sure you can do that

And you live.... where?

Ranks? Probationary FF, FF, Engineer, Captain, BC, DC etc. You job is to help the public.

No. As long as you can perform, your in the clear.

And a side note, you a Junior in High School, start spelling like one.
    thanks man, now is it easier to get into wildland firefighting? i live in southern CA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alextherussian View Post
    thanks man, now is it easier to get into wildland firefighting? i live in southern CA
    Seeing as you haven't finished high school yet, you have a very slim chance of getting a spot. But getting face time never hurts. Visit USFS, BLM, BIA etc. stations throughout the southern half of the state

Thread Information