Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

Forum Member

I went to my orientation on 1/8. When we got started someone from HR stated if you are sitting here we are offering you a position as long as you successfully complete the final steps. She said if you know you have a clean background and you can pass the CPAT then you can pretty much count yourself in because very few people fail from that point on. We were told that after backgrounds and passing CPAT we will move on to medicals, drug testing, and psych. evaluations. Someone asked if they had a date for the academy set and we were told that a class was about to begin and a date for the second class has not yet been set.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfdff View Post
    I went to my orientation on 1/8. When we got started someone from HR stated if you are sitting here we are offering you a position as long as you successfully complete the final steps. She said if you know you have a clean background and you can pass the CPAT then you can pretty much count yourself in because very few people fail from that point on. We were told that after backgrounds and passing CPAT we will move on to medicals, drug testing, and psych. evaluations. Someone asked if they had a date for the academy set and we were told that a class was about to begin and a date for the second class has not yet been set.
    Yeah this was the same impression they left with us on the 7th but I don't want to bank on it just yet

Forum Member

Yeah this was the same impression they left with us on the 7th but I don't want to bank on it just yet

Im not banking on it yet either just going through the motions. I keep hearing that they are hurting financially so how are they funding the class in now and possibly a second? Hopefully everything works out and we will be in.

Forum Member

Did anyone that went to the November Orientation hear anything back? I know it was only a few days ago that the last day of the cpat was, maybe someone from a previous class can say how long after the last day of cpat testing was till they got the letter for a doctors physical? And was the only paper that you had to fill out for the background the sheet at orientation?

Edit just looked at the paper. Seems the 22nd is the last day. Anyone from the previous class how long did it take to get the letter for doc phys. after the last day of testing?
    Last edited by Mundyba; 01-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mundy, check reply #322, it all depends on how early you can pass the CPAT, letters don't go out until after the final CPAT test date for your group. Our final CPAT test date is this weekend, we were told to look for a letter sometime in Feb. if this helps at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got a call on Thursday, medical is this Monday Jan. 31st. Final CPAT date was last weekend, Jan 22nd & 23rd. Letter and emails are going out, phone calls were to the applicants who have the medical on Monday (& or Tuesday I think) because of the short notice.

Forum Member

Did they tell you to bring anything like a driving abstract?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mundyba View Post
    Did they tell you to bring anything like a driving abstract?
    I was told that unless you live in Maryland or Delaware you would need to order a certified driving record from your state and drop it off at HR

Forum Member

Thats what I was wondering. Im in NJ and got the letter for the physical, but started talking about background and driving record, but didnt say to bring it. Figured get as much done while im down there. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mundyba View Post
    Thats what I was wondering. Im in NJ and got the letter for the physical, but started talking about background and driving record, but didnt say to bring it. Figured get as much done while im down there. Thanks.
    I'm from PA and ordered mine about 2 weeks ago it just came yesterday. They warned us during CPAT orientation to stay on top of stuff like that because it can be the difference between you getting the job or not.

Forum Member

I can attest to the truth of the above statement. I was bumped from the last class into this next one and I will tell you that HR will NOT call you and remind you about anything. They will NOT tell you if you are missing something or if you are in danger of not getting the job. The most important thing I can tell anyone to do is CALL...at least once or twice a week to stay on top of everything. Ask abut your file...make sure everything is in the works and there are no red flags...it will be up to you to find them. Also, as was stated above, it is true that you will need a 3 year driving record...which you should be able to get online..at least in PA. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many they are looking to put in for this next class? I see that some have finished their CPAT and now are going on to the medicals. Our final CPAT date is the beginning of March. Is it this way to make it easier to cycle the people through the process?

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many they are looking to put in for this next class? I see that some have finished their CPAT and now are going on to the medicals. Our final CPAT date is the beginning of March. Is it this way to make it easier to cycle the people through the process?
    Don't quote me, but the way it seems to be going is that every CPAT holds enough people to form an individual class. If you pass your CPAT and everything else you are offered to attend the academy. Other then paper work issues like the one above i haven't heard of anyone passing everything and being pushed off to another class. Could be wrong, but seems if you pass everything you'll be in the next class (granite they have one) with everyone else in your current CPAT class..

Forum Member

Hey guys. I just got done with my doctors physical last week. I passed everything but they want to see doctors records and surgery records that I had on my knee. The surgery went well and everything is good. But my knee has a torn acl that my doctor said I didn't need to have the surgery on and says I am fit for duty. I am stressing that they are gonna pass me up because of the torn acl. Does anyone have any imput or suggestions? If my suergon says that I am fit for duty am I ok?

Forum Member

MDFF- I had a similar issue when I went through the medical. They are pretty anal about having documentation but as long as your surgeon and or general physician will write that you are fit for duty and have no restrictions, then you should be good to go. Just be sure to do EXACTLY what the clinic says, despite how idiotic it might be.
    There will be hoops to jump through, but just keep on going. You have to have whatever the Clinic asks for within 10 business days, so make sure you get on it quickly. Hand deliver your stuff to the Clinic so you can be sure that it is what they want and that it is accepted. If you cannot get an appointment or note within 10 days, then call BCFD HR and notify them that you are working on getting what the clinic wants but are running into time constraints, and ask them not to drop you from the process. Similarly, when you do get everything the clinic wants, make you call HR and notify them that you have completed your file at the clinic and you are just waiting on them to clear you.
    If you have any other questions, let me know. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Did anyone hear anything when they ran the backgrounds such as a phone call from the investigator or contacted any other way? I went to the orientation in January and signed the paperwork for the background.

Forum Member

I was never contacted by an investigator, or had any other indication that the check was in the process of being conducted or completed. The only way you will know is if you call HR and ask them.

Forum Member

Did anyone hear anything when they ran the backgrounds such as a phone call from the investigator or contacted any other way? I went to the orientation in January and signed the paperwork for the background.
    I was down HR on Tuesday dropping off my certified driving record.. They haven't even looked at the group 4's CBIs yet. If you started CPAT in January they probably won't process your CBI until after March 11 when the class officially finishes CPAT. I passed CPAT Saturday and they told me to expect to hear from HR about Medical and Gear/Uniform fitting towards the end or March beginning of April.

Forum Member

anyone know where there at on the list??
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Quote Originally Posted by tonsoffun1101 View Post
    anyone know where there at on the list??
    The overall list? Call HR and ask them, they'll ask for the last 4 numbers of your social security number and give you a number on the overall list, which they got from your combined written score and the interviews we had a loooong time ago back in 2009.

Anyways....

I havn't posted a while on here, as I got a new job last fall and actually really like it. I got it after I hadn't heard anything from Baltimore on the hiring process or a lot of the other departments I had applied for. I figured with the economy, they had slowed down their hiring a lot. Which is why I had to keep making money, so I took another job (non fire/ems related) I had offered to me for the meantime.

Well it was cool up until November when I got called up to go out to Baltimore for the CPAT orientation. Well I got my letter to go 3 days before I had to be out there. I made it and during the orientation, I talked with Instructor Snyder and explained that I had to drive a long ways, and whatnot and she offered to let me come back in December for the CPAT without any training sessions, and do my practice test and if I passed, then I was good and that was it.

So a month later I came back out on December 27 and did it and passed it on the first shot, so thankfully I didn't have to use my other testing opportunity 2 weeks later.

The Detroit area ----> Baltimore trip isn't cheap at all!

So then about a month later, I got the e-mail with an attatched letter inviting me to partake in a Dr.'s appt. physical along with get fitted for uniforms.

Well, I just got back on Saturday from the Dr.'s Appt. pre-placement physical in Baltimore.

They checked my height and weight, did a spirometry test, did a hearing test, did a visual test, checked my range of motion, checked for Mr. Hernia, had me **** in a cup and drew some blood. I was in at 0700 on Friday and didn't get done until almost 1130, so if you have to do this, plan accordingly.

After that, I went to the old middle school where they do the police academy and EMS fire training and was fitted for uniforms, turnout gear and the whole 9 yards.

After that, I checked my e-mail on my smartphone and had gotten an E-mail from BCFD HR with 2 attatchments saying that they needed me to fill out the 2 forms that they originally
    had everyone fill out at the physical agility. I called up HR right then and there while I was in the city and asked them if it would be ok if I just came downtown and took care of them while I was in town. The HR lady I talked to was extremely helpful and nice and said that would be fine.

I then went downtown and took care of this stuff. While I was there, I talked to her and cleared up a couple rumors etc.

-I first asked her if they needed my driving record since I was from out of state. She said they DEFINITELY need it for out of state residents and that it has to go back at least 5 years. She pulled in one of the chiefs who explained that if I had 3 points accrued on my drivers license, I would be dropped from the process altogether. Just trying to give you guys a fair warning so you don't waste your time. Not trying to burst anyones bubble or anything, but just trying to be honest.

-Next I asked her if they had done background investigations yet for our group (the group of guys who went in November for CPAT orientations and came back in December/January for the actual tests and are now doing Dr. Appt physicals)......anyways, she said they would be starting the B.I. this week. I also asked her what they would be checking out on these. She said it was strictly criminal activitity that they would be looking at. Any previous job issues, that you may have had in the past would have already been looked at by this point, and that since we are this far into the hiring process, that previous employment wasn't an issue if you were still in the running. She also told me that your credit score is not used as a basis for if you get bad marks on your background investigation. They would not be taking this into account.

-The last issue I brought up is the possible start date for the academy. Mid March was the resounding answer I got from about 4 ladies in the office. Apparently that question gets asked A LOT guys, so please, don't keep bugging them. These are very busy people and they all pretty much told me that you may have 2 weeks notice before it starts, but not to count on it. Pretty much one of those, "have your bags packed, ready to rock and roll at any time" situations.

So it looks like everything still going strong for Mid March. Fingers are crossed. We've waited quite a while for this guys. Almost 2 years.

Oh, and luckily, over the last 3 trips, I have not had a lick of car trouble. ;-)
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 02-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

zachis4wheeling glad to hear it all worked out for you and you were able to get everything completed while you were down. I will be going next week for my first practice CPAT session with our official dates for the CPAT in the beginning of March. Not sure if you had an idea but im guessing we would be a different class or are they going to push us along to be in that possible March class? Thanks for any info or imput you have and thanks for the info you previously posted.

Forum Member

zachis4wheeling glad to hear it all worked out for you and you were able to get everything completed while you were down. I will be going next week for my first practice CPAT session with our official dates for the CPAT in the beginning of March. Not sure if you had an idea but im guessing we would be a different class or are they going to push us along to be in that possible March class? Thanks for any info or imput you have and thanks for the info you previously posted.
    we are a different class then theirs. they haven't even started processing our paperwork as of last tuesday. we should be in an academy class around mid may.. if all things going accordingly and they continue to hire.

Forum Member

Thanks man. I appreciate the good words. I was just upfront and honest with them throughout the entire process. I explained what went down with me about 2 years ago....which I thought for sure would stop my firefighting career dead in my tracks. (Search my posts back in May or June of 2009 for the "I screwed up BIG TIME" thread. It went over real well on these boards......Lol) But I explained to them what I've been doing in the meantime and how I've worked to better prepare myself for this and that I'm not giving up. It's good to see there are departments willing to give people second chances out there. The way people on here made it sound, was that it was over.

I'm just here to say guys, if you screw up and it's your fault....on anything, the best thing you can do first, is to not go and try to justify or explain what you did. Admit what you did, that you screwed up. Then learn from it. It's all you can do. That's what I've been trying to do and it looks like there might be a light at the end of the pile of rubble of what I created for myself.......But it has taken 2 years since my world basically came crashing down. Good luck guys.
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

I've heard of more people recieving CPAT orientation packets... don't know if that's true or false.. they would be the 5th group if it's true

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tillerman50 View Post
    I've heard of more people recieving CPAT orientation packets... don't know if that's true or false.. they would be the 5th group if it's true
    Wow. That's A LOT of new recruits.

So where is everybody from and what's the out of towners' (like myself) living situation looking like?

Where is everybody planning on shackin up if they get the job out in Baltimore?

Anyone need roommates? I've been checking out rates here and there, along with neighborhoods around the area and rates are through the roof in the areas that seem alright. Alright area, being an area where my turnout gear probably wouldn't get ripped off, or I wouldn't wake up to find a group of homeless dudes having a lovefest in the cab of my Z-71.

Anybody got any pointers or advice for a new guy from out of town?

Thread Information