Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sevs007 View Post
    I work for FDNY as an EMT and I am in the FDNY paramedic upgrade class. Will this help me get on Baltimore FD easier? I really wanna be a FF and with everything going on in NYC right now, it looks like nobody is getting a FDNY FF job. I just sent in my application for the upcoming written exam... What is the next steps in the process?
    No, it won't. There are no more FF/Paramedics in the city. They are hiring FF/EMT's. You could come over as a medic, but no one has been able to reduce to a FF position for over 10 years or so. So applying as a medic here won't help you get to fighting fire.

Forum Member

Default Cpat

I just received my CPAT packet a couple of days ago. I was wondering if any body else got one also. And any info on how many people are going through the CPAT. How many people and when they plan on hiring. Thanks

Forum Member

I got mine about a month ago, we are going through the mentoring process right now with the final test scheduled for sometime in October. From the people I talked to, about 80 showed up to the Cpat orientation session in August. The woman from Human Resources that was there at the orientation and other firefighters said that they hope to have a class start sometime in November or ASAP due to the vacancies. They also said that they wanted to have a large class and from what I heard if you pass the CPAT and the medical and background check your pretty much in.
    When does it say you guys are suppose to show up for the orientation session?

Forum Member

I assume its for orientation. You have to wait 8 weeks to take actual CPAT whats up with that. Is this group that just got their CPAT papers in line for the upcoming class or is it for a different class. Wonder how many they pulled for your CPAT session and how many for ours? any idea. thanks

Forum Member

Engine- I just got my CPAT packet a few days ago as well. I don't have any info on vacancies but obviously I am hoping for something relatively soon but I am sure it's a good thing that we are finally continuing on in the process.

Forum Member

does anyone know how deep they went into the rankings for the cpat? I was in the late 200's and wanted to see if I have a chance of taking the cpat. thanks.

Forum Member

I believe that it went out to the top 150. This is not set in stone, just what I heard, so take it with a grain of salt. Good Luck, I hope you get there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any one here any other news? Any word on the street on how many or if there going to hire?

Forum Member

Got a letter today to have a doctor's physical on Monday and get fitted for uniforms afterwards, guessing that's a good sign things are moving along. As for numbers, couldn't tell you.

Forum Member

hey irish how did the medical go? what did ya have to do for that?

Forum Member

Plan on it taking about 3-4 hours and then about 20 minutes for the uniform fitting. You will have to take a hearing test, eye exam, lung test, donate some pee, an EKG, and a physical exam. Rumors are that the academy is going to take place mid to late November.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do they make you do anything physical like a treadmill or is it all just the regular doctor tests?

Forum Member

Regular physical, and a spirometry lung function test to determine how much air you can move through your airbags.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok thanks. i have mine at the end of this week. did anyone tell you what to expect next?

Forum Member

Letter in one to two weeks with the academy date as long as everything with the physical and background checks are good.

Forum Member

Irish, thanks for the info one more question...when you went down for the medical did they have you fill out anything for the background check or do you have to go back down for that on another trip

Forum Member

You should have gotten the paperwork for the background check along with the letter that had your physical appointment date on it. The letter said that you were supposed to have it filled out and mailed to them before the physical. If you did not get it I suggest calling HR and having them email it to you or stop by and pick it up. They are trying to get everything lined up and there's not a whole lot of time.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey irish did they take any blood from you? the letter doesnt say anything about not eating before you arrive or anything...

Forum Member

They took blood but for WBC and RBC counts not glucose levels so you can have breakfast, maybe skip the coffee if you are worried about your blood pressure being high.

MembersZone Subscriber

just an fyi while i was getting fitted for uniforms yesterday, the FF said he heard Nov 10 start date for the academy...

Thread Information