Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121920212223 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Verro2933 View Post
    Any guys on the job in Baltimore know if any more academy classes are planned?
    a buddy of mine who is on the job there said no, and they will open up for applications sometime the first half of next year..

MembersZone Subscriber

hey just a couple questions on baltimore:
    1: Is there resident preference?
    2: will paramedic help someone get hired in baltimore?
    3: how long do they keep a list generated?
    4: whats an approx number they hire off each list? i realize its need dependent, but some depts hire 30-40 off a list and some hire 200-300? how does baltimore do it?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    hey just a couple questions on baltimore:
    1: Is there resident preference?
    2: will paramedic help someone get hired in baltimore?
    3: how long do they keep a list generated?
    4: whats an approx number they hire off each list? i realize its need dependent, but some depts hire 30-40 off a list and some hire 200-300? how does baltimore do it?
    1. No

2. probably

3. 2-3 years

4. in the hundreds...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeagraveBaby View Post
    a buddy of mine who is on the job there said no, and they will open up for applications sometime the first half of next year..
    That stinks, I was hoping they would at least have another class or two off this current list. I guess I will focus somewhere else.

Forum Member

I'm from Cleveland and strongly considering other cities, including Baltimore (Cleveland cancelled my cadet class that was scheduled for this past summer and laid off about 50 firefighters).
    I have just a few questions to add about Baltimore's process.

1. Is there a maximum age limit for appointment of new firefighters?

2. Does Baltimore give extra points on the civil service exam for residency, EMS certs, Firefighter certs, or for military experience?

3. What is the entry level salary for probationary firefighters?

4. What is the shift schedule for Baltimore (e.g., 24/48, 48/96, or other)? Also, what is the Kelly day rotation?

5. How long was the last recruitment process from exam to hiring the first class of firefighters?

6. Do new or probationary firefighters get any fire suppression duties, or are they limited mostly to EMS duties?

7. Does Baltimore see a decent amount of fire?

8. Any idea of how many the FD is looking to hire from the 2012 exam?

9. What was the testing format for the last civil service exam (e.g., math, mechanical aptitude, psych, reading comp, memorization)?

Ok, so I posted a lot of questions...but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Forum Member

They have already had 5 classes off this list in the span of a year. We don't know where to put people now, some shifts have assigned 7 people for 4 positions so it's time to let everyone settle in and start the testing process over.

On to Cleveland's questions:

1.No

2.You get vet points, if you have emt-b you wouldn't have to take it in academy. You will have to take ff1, ff2, evoc, hazmat.

3. Entry is around 32k

4. Two 10 hour days, two 14 hour nights, then four days off. You have a vacation option number that comes around every 6 tricks.

5. Last test it took a little over a year before movement and it might be about the same this test with the massive amount just hired.

6. You will be on you suppression assignment for the first 10 tricks and 4 tricks cross training either on the truck or engine. After that it's pretty close to a year and after the year is up plan on driving the medic for awhile.

7. As a city Baltimore sees a good amount of fire. Some houses every day, some once a month.

8. No

9. Little math, reading comp, personality section and a graded interview.

Forum Member

5 classes? Wow now I see why they won't be having any more. I guess I'll have to start all over.

Forum Member

@irish2522: Thanks for the info; it was very helpful. Maybe you can clear something else up for me too. I've heard that candidates who make it to the CPAT are required to attend 5 CPAT prep sessions. Is this true?

Also, its apparent that you are a member of BCFD. If so, please share your thoughts on the department and whether you enjoy the job overall. Pros and cons would be nice.

As an out-of-towner with a family, I want to get as much useful info as possible before I decide whether I'm going to put my all into Baltimore's next recruitment process.

Forum Member

I'm not sure about the CPAT, I think you can do it close to home and just send in the results and they should accept it, but 5 required sessions sounds excessive for someone out of town. Either way that part is far off so don't worry about it now. The CPAT is one of the last things that they will have you do.
    Baltimore Fire Department has a lot of history to it, I love my job and wouldn't change it for the world. Statistically you will see more fire then most places in the country, but you will have to spent time on the medic and respond to medic calls with the suppression units. The city is picking itself back up after the recession and figuring out what to do with all the vacant properties but it has a lot of potential with one of the busiest ports in the country, the colleges, and the health care industry. Crime is high but there are some really nice places to live. You'll hear a lot of people bitching about the pay and the administration, riding the medic but don't let it discourage you. It depends on what's important to you if you want to go for it. If you're just interested in the pay check we have enough of those here and you can make more in other fire departments. But if you want to run a fair amount and get some work done we could use you.
    Last edited by irish2522; 11-19-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    @irish2522: Thanks for the info; it was very helpful. Maybe you can clear something else up for me too. I've heard that candidates who make it to the CPAT are required to attend 5 CPAT prep sessions. Is this true?

Also, its apparent that you are a member of BCFD. If so, please share your thoughts on the department and whether you enjoy the job overall. Pros and cons would be nice.

As an out-of-towner with a family, I want to get as much useful info as possible before I decide whether I'm going to put my all into Baltimore's next recruitment process.
    You have two mandatory orientation sessions for CPAT. After that you are technically on your own. They offer training sessions 2-3 times a week during your 8 weeks in CPAT that you are not required to attend but if you are out of shape should. You are given 2 or 3 practice runs before your mandatory final test. If you pass the first practice run, you pass CPAT, and you are done.

As for the hiring and testing process, it supposedly has all been thrown out. There was an article about it a few months back but nothing further so as for what y'all may encounter during hiring next time around, who knows.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=tillerman50;1305976]You have two mandatory orientation sessions for CPAT. After that you are technically on your own. They offer training sessions 2-3 times a week during your 8 weeks in CPAT that you are not required to attend but if you are out of shape should. You are given 2 or 3 practice runs before your mandatory final test. If you pass the first practice run, you pass CPAT, and you are done.

As for the hiring and testing process, it supposedly has all been thrown out. There was an article about it a few months back but nothing further so as for what y'all may encounter during hiring next time around, who knows.[/QUO

Do you guys anticipate a major change in the next round of hiring...I have been finding a lot of recent article of racism and lack of minority recruitment, also some recent promotions that were very political. I am not on the job...this is just what I have read.....anyone know or have any input? Thanks...very interested in testing for Baltimore City.

Thanks

Forum Member

I am very anxious to hear when the new test will be administered. I read on another site that the list is good until this time next year, I hope they don't wait for the list to expire to have a new test. I really hope they get one more class out of this list too but it doesn't sound likely.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Andyboyfire;1306988]
    Quote Originally Posted by tillerman50 View Post
    You have two mandatory orientation sessions for CPAT. After that you are technically on your own. They offer training sessions 2-3 times a week during your 8 weeks in CPAT that you are not required to attend but if you are out of shape should. You are given 2 or 3 practice runs before your mandatory final test. If you pass the first practice run, you pass CPAT, and you are done.

As for the hiring and testing process, it supposedly has all been thrown out. There was an article about it a few months back but nothing further so as for what y'all may encounter during hiring next time around, who knows.[/QUO

Do you guys anticipate a major change in the next round of hiring...I have been finding a lot of recent article of racism and lack of minority recruitment, also some recent promotions that were very political. I am not on the job...this is just what I have read.....anyone know or have any input? Thanks...very interested in testing for Baltimore City.

Thanks
    Who knows. I'd expect some changes to keep the peace. Promotions have nothing to do with the hiring process though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Verro2933 View Post
    I am very anxious to hear when the new test will be administered. I read on another site that the list is good until this time next year, I hope they don't wait for the list to expire to have a new test. I really hope they get one more class out of this list too but it doesn't sound likely.
    Where did you read the list is good for another year? That sounds about right I heard that they plan to possibly test for BCFD in spring/summer of upcoming year. Thanks.

Forum Member

Any news on if/when Baltimore will be hiring again?

Forum Member

They are shutting down three companies. My advice, don't get your heart set on B-more. It's not the department it used to be and moral has been really sh*tty lately. Chief and Mayor are out to turn us to a skeleton crew that will have to depend on mutual aid to take care of anything more then a dumpster fire.

I am not sure that they will be hiring any time soon, as they are cutting out companies, which means the manpower to run those companies.

Try one of the large counties in and around Baltimore or Washington. Most of them are taking applications.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish2522 View Post
    They are shutting down three companies. My advice, don't get your heart set on B-more. It's not the department it used to be and moral has been really sh*tty lately. Chief and Mayor are out to turn us to a skeleton crew that will have to depend on mutual aid to take care of anything more then a dumpster fire.
    That sucks.

I'm still considering career options and I'd like to stay local.

Forum Member

Just a quick question guys... I heard there is a paramedic list to sign up on. Just wondering if that is true and if they will be hiring off the list if there is one...
    Thanks guys

Forum Member

They are accepting applications for Paramedic CRT/Paramedic EMT-P, looks like they are cross-trained for suppression too. I applied.

Human Resources / Employment Opportunities

-S

Thread Information