Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

Forum Member

well I'm coming from PA wednesday to grab my application and then go drop it off. I'm planing on getting the application from one of the firehouses anyone know of any good houses or anyone on here at a station on wednesday. i wouldn't mind getting a tour or two. Ive been down to bmore before and love the city its a really nice place and any more info on the hiring process than what has been already posted would be great. good luck to everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Try the Steadman station (Lombard & Eautah *not sure on spelling* ) streets, i went down this past friday and walked in and grabed mine in less than 5 mins. I will be making the trip back down wensday to deliver mine.

Forum Member

how is the application? by that i mean would i need to bring any info from former employers places ive lived etc or is it just name, address and ssn? I'm driving down in the next couple days to do mine and i dont want to be caught un aware.

thanks!
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

yes yes i see eveyone says they are going to drop it off at later dates. what do you need to have/bring with youuu. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're planning on filling out the application down there it would be easiest just to go straight to the War Memorial Building at 101 N. Gay Street as they have them there. You'll need driver's license info, fire and/or ems certs if you have them (bring copies), information from current employer and previous employer including address, phone number, supervisor, etc. I think that's pretty much it. It's only a two page application. Also bring $30 cash for the application fee if you don't live in the city because they'll send you across the street to city hall to pay it after you turn in your application. There's a parking garage right next to the War Memorial Building where you can park for $4.

The written exam is August 22. After that there will be an interview. After the interview is the CPAT orientation, mentorship sessions which will last at least 8 weeks, two CPAT practice sessions and then the actual CPAT. After the CPAT is the background investigation and the medical exam is the last step.

Forum Member

mentorship sessions which will last at least 8 weeks. whats that mean? hopfully thats not a dumb question

MembersZone Subscriber

Basically, any department that chooses to use the CPAT must adhere to the guidelines and procedures set forth by the IAFF. One of the guidelines is that the department must offer at least 8 weeks of preparation time prior to the CPAT test date. During these 8 weeks, most departments offer training sessions (also called mentorship sessions), where candidates can go down and workout with CPAT instructors and firefighters to prepare for it.

Forum Member

well i went down and apply everyone was really helpful and i liked the city a lot. august 22 is the written so good luck to everyone, on another note to any one that has gone through the academy/hiring process before any tips or good study material for the written or any other part of the process. thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Anybody know how many applied? I went down about a week into the application period and the Chief that was there told me they had about 500 applications in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any info on the test prep manual for fpsi?? i called the number on their website, and the recording said that to purchase the manual you have to go to the citys fire department web page for which you are appling. From there you can download the order form and mail it in with a check. The problem is there's nothing on baltimore city web page to dl the form. im going to call recruitment tomorrow. I'll post what ever i find out, so everyone can get ahold of a study guide for the test. Good luck to all on aug. 22

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oceanave67 View Post
    Anyone have any info on the test prep manual for fpsi?? i called the number on their website, and the recording said that to purchase the manual you have to go to the citys fire department web page for which you are appling. From there you can download the order form and mail it in with a check. The problem is there's nothing on baltimore city web page to dl the form. im going to call recruitment tomorrow. I'll post what ever i find out, so everyone can get ahold of a study guide for the test. Good luck to all on aug. 22
    Why such a short application period?? I unfortunately missed the dates. Is this the only time they will have it open? If so, how often do they test typically?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

The app period is closed. I'm guessing they wanted to limit the number of applicants. As far as I know they test roughly every 3 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Does anybody know if BCFD gives preference to Medics or does it even matter?

Forum Member

i see Bmore gives free test coaching classes, anyone going to them? or know anything about it ?

MembersZone Subscriber

i called and the classes are all during the week. unfort for me im out of vac. time. all you have to do is call recruitment for the dates.

Forum Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much time the average firefighter spends on the ambulance? I have some medical background from the military and I was just wondering a ball park number how often the average firefighter spends on the ambulance? Also are firefighter/emts asked or expected to become paramedics once on the job? Thanks alot.
    Last edited by Andyboyfire; 07-13-2009 at 10:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it all depends. A buddy of mine has been out of the academy for 6 months and hasnt ridden an ambulance yet but he definitely will be at some point. And as far as I know, they use to have a clause that stated that you had to become ALS certified if you were hired but they got rid of it so its not mandatory anymore.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I've heard, Baltimore has a 3 year program. You get your basic firefighter and EMT training in the academy then you go to a suppression unit. About two years into that (give or take cause I can't remember exactly how long), you go through CRT-I/EMT-I training. Once you finish that you spend a year on the medic unit. I think they send you through a paramedic bridge program on your off days after that. Not 100% sure though. Keep in mind I don't work there, so I might be a little off, but I think that's how they do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know what the name of the test consultant that will be giving the exam?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm pretty sure it's Fire & Police Selection Inc.

Forum Member

anyone have or know where to get good study material for this test?? and is anyone going to the free coaching session there offering?

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

You know I never did get an answer on weather or not ALS certification helps in the hiring process. Anybody know?

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard recently that they're going to be accepting lateral transfer medics and that they'll be focusing more on that than on hiring firefighter/emts - but I don't work there and that's just what I've heard from someone who does - so take it with a grain of salt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD1FF View Post
    I heard recently that they're going to be accepting lateral transfer medics and that they'll be focusing more on that than on hiring firefighter/emts - but I don't work there and that's just what I've heard from someone who does - so take it with a grain of salt.

i went down and talked to some people at one station and they said the same thing. they started giving people the choice weather or not they wanted to go through the medic part. i was told this time there just going ff/EMT but would give you the option after you finish the academy. just what i heard.

Forum Member

So the fire department is looking for people that already have their paramedic then or those that are hired as FF/EMT's will be asked to become paramedics after they graduate the academy?

Thread Information