Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I would say that both cases might be options.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Als?

Well if you choose to become a medic or already are one, do they take you off the suppression units and put you in a single role as a medic, or do you work as a crosstrained FF/PM on a suppression unit?
    Last edited by merchan5967; 08-02-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe they run paramedic engine companies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFD1FF View Post
    I believe they run paramedic engine companies.
    Well thank God for that.

Forum Member

Anyone else out there here anything more about the city hiring medics first or making new members sign in their employment that they must seek upgrade to paramedic within so many years? Also does anyone know if the department is short people or if they plan to hire quickly once the exam is given? I know its mostly just rumor right now. Thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure how many or how quickly they plan on hiring but as far as I know firefighter/emt recruits are no longer required to obtain their medic certification. Also keep in mind they're currently doing rotating brownouts so they're having budget issues as are many other departments across the country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey I have a question it doesn't have to to with when they will hire. But I was reading on firehouse and what are Baltimore Squads are they like the FDNY's or are they just paramedic engine companies or something? Thanks in advace.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    Hey I have a question it doesn't have to to with when they will hire. But I was reading on firehouse and what are Baltimore Squads are they like the FDNY's or are they just paramedic engine companies or something? Thanks in advace.
    If you're talkin rescue squads or companies, I know BCFD has one heavy rescue company and four squads. From what I've seen, the squads are specially equiped engine companies. I thing they're kinda like rescue engines you'd see in Mongomery, or PG County. Not 100% sure though.

Forum Member

Just curious and I realize that many factors play into this but would a good average be that roughly 1 of every 4 shifts is spent on the ambulance if you are an EMT-B, more-less? Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Just curious and I realize that many factors play into this but would a good average be that roughly 1 of every 4 shifts is spent on the ambulance if you are an EMT-B, more-less? Thanks.
    no offense but you ALWAYS ask about how much an emt spends on the ambulance or how long they will be on etc. Dude, start worrying about GETTING ON the job first, then ask that later on. Who gives a sh*t about how much time they spend on the ambulance anyway. Just the notion of being a Baltimore city firefighter should eliminate any thought of that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    no offense but you ALWAYS ask about how much an emt spends on the ambulance or how long they will be on etc. Dude, start worrying about GETTING ON the job first, then ask that later on. Who gives a sh*t about how much time they spend on the ambulance anyway. Just the notion of being a Baltimore city firefighter should eliminate any thought of that.
    I have to agree. Most big city fire departments have ambulances anyway, so you can't escape EMS. In fact, when my brother was thinking about being a firefighter one of the first things I told him was learn to love EMS, because weather we like it or not, it is a HUGE part of our job. And by the way, if you're hired on in Balto as an FPA you WILL fight fire, but you WILL be on the ambulance as well. Learn to love all aspects of this job if you truely want to do it.
    Last edited by merchan5967; 08-10-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Forum Member

Sorry I am in the midst of an emt course, I trying to ride the ambulance not trying to avoid it. Sorry this was misinterpreted. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Sorry I am in the midst of an emt course, I trying to ride the ambulance not trying to avoid it. Sorry this was misinterpreted. Thanks.
    Oh ok brother. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Forum Member

I'm not sure if anyone would know this. I am active duty military and will be for the next two years, until the middle of 2011. My question is when I separate from service, if I were to get an apartment in the city and submit my DD 214 to the city, would I then be entitled to residency and veterans points? Obviously I can't reside in city limits and I couldn't submit a DD 214 as you recieve this upon discharge. I have been trying to contact City Data and Processing to no avail. If anyone is in a simialr boat or has an answer it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot guys, stay safe.

Forum Member

everyone been studying hard. big test day it right around the corner

MembersZone Subscriber

See you guys there tomorrow morning. I'm really curious to see what kind of turnout this exam gets. There isn't really that much talk about it compared to other exams. It wasn't advertised well at all.
    Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

lets hear it....how did we do? likes dislikes? hard easy??

MembersZone Subscriber

How many sat for the test this time around?

Forum Member

merchan5967- I asked when I left the 1 PM test how many applications were turned in and was told that there were around 2200 applications total. Of course that is what was turned in and not how many actually took the test. You have to figure that there were individuals that did not show up for whatever reason and also for those who forgot their cards to register when they got to the test.

tonsoffun1101- I do not think the test was bad at all. It was very straight forward. It will be interesting to see how many people will be eliminated from the written test alone. What were your thoughts?

Good luck to everyone during the process. Hope to see you all around.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Just wanted to wish everyone goodluck in the testing process...also, whats goin on here all the other threads are puttin us to shame!!! lets pick it up lol....how does everyone think they did this past saturday? Maybe someone could shed some light on a question i had. On the green paper they gave us when we left the test it says, "you may be selected from the top five scores or ratings for any approved vacancy in a graded list". Im not really sure as to what that implies. Anyone able to clear that up for me...well good luck to all.......

Thread Information