Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

Forum Member

thought the test was way too easy......

Forum Member

jaximus85- i thought it was a good test. there was a lot of "fire" questions so hopefully it weeded out some of the "i just need a job" guys there that i was talking to. no offense to any of them but id rather work beside someone who wants to be there to "fight fire".

Kevlar24- your right this tread needs to pick up lol and i was also wondering about the "you may be selected from the top five scores or ratings for any approved vacancy in a graded list" if anyone has anything on that please let us know.

so the next step is the interview process which is different from any test i ever took. usually its written, CPAT, interview etc.

Forum Member

Smile

tonsoffun- I saw a bunch of those "just need a job guys" there as well...anyway thinking about callin recruitment sometime this week to get some kind of understanding of what it meant...and yeah it is def. a different kind of process...but if you think about it why waste money to put people through the cpat med/phys. if they are one of those "just need a job" guys...i never heard anything about baltimores interview, but interviews for the most part are probably the most stressful part in my opinion...id rather get that done before the Cpat...so i think it may be better ya know...well hope to keep this thread goin lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't a big fan of the test overall. I'd have to say this was the easiest test I've taken out of the total of 16 that I've taken. I don't think it's going to weed that many people out. The "fire" questions were reading comp. All you had to do was match the question to the answer in the passage - doesn't get much easier than that. Then the rest of the questions were about how you would handle certain situations - so it was basically like a psych/personality test. I'm not saying you need to be extremely smart to eventually become a good firefighter, but come on this is an entry level exam for firefighting. No basic math? No mechanical aptitude? No grammar? Just my opinion, but it missed a lot of major standard fire exam topics and I just didn't feel like it served well in searching for the "cream of the crop."
    Last edited by GFD1FF; 08-25-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Forum Member

The test was made to be passed, that way when the list is created you don't get one thousand lawsuits saying it was unfair. Now you'll probably just get ten or twenty. Either way I'm hoping for the best and preping for the next step in the process and looking out for other cities that are hiring.

Forum Member

GFD I completly agree with you but if taking a test like that is what it takes to work the best job in the world with a great F.D then im not complaining lol...someone please correct me if im wrong but im just stating what a woman from HR told me when i was handing in my application...she told me when the department has to hire more firefighters, based on the needs of the department the list could either be good for a year or 2 years...she told me last time they had a 2 year test the list was basically exhausted...she told me the test we took was for a 2 year list....so MAYBE they wanted the test to be like that so everyone would pass....just my thoughts tho

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree Kevlar...gotta do whatever it takes to get the job. Anyone hear about when scores go out? Or whether or not the list is based on written test scores like FDNY and DCFD?

Forum Member

I could see that also. Probably should have left the deadline open alittle bit more and accepted applications by mail if they were trying to increase the size of the list instead of making the test easier though. I know about 20 guys in Jersey who would have loved to have taken the test but they didn't know about the test until the last minute and they couldn't get the time off to head down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar24 View Post
    GFD I completly agree with you but if taking a test like that is what it takes to work the best job in the world with a great F.D then im not complaining lol...someone please correct me if im wrong but im just stating what a woman from HR told me when i was handing in my application...she told me when the department has to hire more firefighters, based on the needs of the department the list could either be good for a year or 2 years...she told me last time they had a 2 year test the list was basically exhausted...she told me the test we took was for a 2 year list....so MAYBE they wanted the test to be like that so everyone would pass....just my thoughts tho
    So the two year list, is that the plan for this and future exams, I know the city was facing some budget problems, would they extend it possibly? I realize it is very early on.

Forum Member

well thats just the way it was explained to me...i was told the last test administered before ours they only used the list for a year so i guess the department didnt have the needs to hire as many applicants...the test we took the list is going to be good for 2 years....now i was told the last time there was a 2 year test the list was nearly exhausted so lets hope for the best and work hard...i am by no means an expert on the baltimore topic so if i am wrong anyone that knows better please feel free to set the record straight im just passing on what i was told by an HR woman...as far as results go im not to sure when we're gonna see them...hopefully only a couple weeks...waiting is the worst part lol

Forum Member

Talking

hey all i talked to the HR lady and man when i went to the free coaching thing. they said the test is graded in 2 parts. first is the reading comp. that is pass or fail. they 2nd part human relations is a number grade. that combines and puts you on the list. they said this is good for 2 years and hopefully Feb or march they will start an academy class usually running 30 to 50 people. NOW that's just what they said. they were from human resources for the city. Not "fire" personel. so take all that with a grain of salt since who knows how much of it is true or not true. Also i hear there is a new chief and i believe we'll be the first class through under him and i hear he has some new things that he wants to do ( as in putting more people out into the field) again just hear say from a firefighter at one of the stations. good luck to all !!

Forum Member

Talking

well lets keep our fingers crossed...till then im hittin the gym and gonna be doin cardio like a mad man...i wanna be able to have so much stamina that i dont even break a sweat during the Cpat hahaha...and if people are looking at what kind of workout regimins they could do to train check out P90x...people could say what they want about it but following the program to a T got me to lose 15lbs in a week no joke, so that made me a believer...well just a suggestion to my possible future brothers OR sisters

MembersZone Subscriber

Do city residents get extra points on the written test?

Forum Member

yeah i started running more and hitting the stair machine weights. ive heard mixed things on that p90x. anyone got anymore in put.

i believe Baltimore does give residency points. i don't know how many tho or how to apply to get them.

MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar

p90x is awesome, however it focuses on all aspects of training (weights, cardio, stretching, woosified MMA, etc, etc). In my opinion, put on your running shoes and focus on CARDIO. Dont waste too much time right now on weight training because the CPAT is all about the cardio and endurance (unless you're a small person, then the dummy drag and forced entry may be harder and require strength training).

I just took my first CPAT today and had over a minute and a half leftover. I know thats not a record breaking time, but it was pretty easy cuz my cardio was good. For the last 2 months, the only training i did was cardio - went to the gym and got on the bike, cranked up the resistance really heavy and pedaled my butt off for 45-60 minutes per session.

Im not a trainer or anything but IMO the only thing that really takes brute strength is the dummy drag and thats really only to get the dummy up to your waist, then its form. forced entry can be complished pretty easy with good form and ceiling breach is super easy if you use your legs to push instead of your arms and then just use your body weight to pull the weight down instead of your arms... just a fellow wannabe's opinion... Good luck to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just be conscious of the fact that you will lose muscle mass if your focus is exclusively on cardio training. It's good to work in weight training or calisthenics 3 days a week or so to maintain what muscle you have at least. While you could pass the CPAT with very little training at all (there's a reason why it's pass/fail and not competitive), the strength training will help you out down the road when you're doing the real thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Am I reading these posts right? Are they doing the interviews before CPAT or the traditional CPAT then interview?

Forum Member
    Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Warning.....this is kinda long, but I just have to share this as it may be helpful to a lot of people who drive long distances to test. Not trying to hijak, just tell u how MY Baltimore experience went. Hope you guys enjoy...lol

Last week, I drove down from Michigan to take the BCFD written test, and honest to god, had THE WORST trip ever getting there. My experience was horrible. Lol. Hope this helps someone.

THURSDAY & FRIDAY-
    I left on Thursday nite after I got off shift at the Ambulance company and drove to Pittsburgh to crash at a buddies. Drove to DC on Friday to another friend of mines to crash with on Friday nite. I dropped my **** off and wanted to run up to Baltimore to see where I needed to be on Saturday. So I took off around 3 and got stuck in traffic for 3 hours getting there, finding out that I-95 and the parkway suck. Good to know. I get to Baltimore around 7, find the convention center, and check out the area a little bit. I drove all around the city since I didn't get a good chance to when I came out to apply. Well, I get back on my way down to DC around 9 at night.

So I'm cruising South on 95 when my truck starts chugging and lurching and slowing waaaaay down. I look down and my battery gauge is dropping FAST! Truck dies at this point and won't restart. Motherfawk. So I pull over and realize I have no tools with me, no spare parts or anything. Usually I carry both of the above since I own a truck with over 200,000 miles on it. I call up my insurance company and get a wrecker to drag me to the nearest Autozone since I was pretty sure the alternator took a **** and I had replaced it a year earlier and have a warranty on it.

They get me there around 9:15 and wouldn't you know, the Autozone is closed. ****. So I decide to keep the truck in the parking lot and fix it in the morning. I call up my friend in DC, and find out that she, and none of her friends have a car, since they walk everywhere. I borrow a phone book and start looking for cab companies. I get ahold of one, and find out that its going to cost $180 round trip to go from my truck to DC and back the next day. I decide to crash in the truck over nite. Can't fall asleep for ****, so I go next door to Dennys and get some food. Waitress offers up a booth for me to crash on, so I go get my stuff from the truck and crash at Denny's. Honest to god. Lol.

SATURDAY-
    Wake up Saturday, and get to Autozone waiting for them to open. I get in and get some tools and pull my alternator and battery. They give me a new alternator and charge up my battery. Mind you it's like 9 now and the test is at 1. So I get everything buttoned back up, and truck turns over.....BUT STILL DOESN'T START! I don't know if any of you might have a truck or SUV like mine, (I've got a 96 GMC Z-71 witha 350)....but when you turn the key over, before you crank it, the fuel pump whines when it primes the system....well mine wasn't whining...I go back in the zone and get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to my truck. Sure enough. Fuel pumps fawked. So I start asking around for a good mechanic and shop, and at the same time, start trying to get back ahold of the cab company for a ride to Baltimore. Well a dude in line witha big *** diesel F250 offers to do the fuel pump for $100. SOLD! So I pay the cool $385.00 for the fuel pump >:-( I call up my insurance to have the truck towed to this dudes place and then I called the cab company who tells me it's going to cost $180 for that trip as well. Screw that.

So I hitchhiked...sort of.

I found some GORGEOUS chick at autozone who was going to baltimore and she said she was cool with hooking me up with a ride. She tells me she has mace, pepper spray, and knows Jiu Jitsu and she had 2 pitbulls in the backseat of the car and that if I tried anything funny, she'd kill me. Lol....Whoah girl! Lol. So we get there around 11:30 to the convention center. I tried paying her $40 for the ride, but she gave me her number instead, and told me to call her after the test, and I could repay her by taking her out for a drink and some dinner. Sweeeeet. I go buy some new clothes, and clean up a little in a bathroom at a restaurant. Which after seeing some of the competition I had, didn't look like it mattered. Lol.

I took the test and honest to god, have no idea how I did. I know I got the first 1/2 all correct as the answers were right there. The 2nd 1/2 tho had me kind of wondering. We'll see.

So I start talkin with a couple dudes after the fire from down around DC from Montgomery County FIre and they said they'd hook me up with a ride back to the truck......if we went out for beers and I bought for them. Lol. Well one of them was 18, so he was the DD. I call up the hot chick who gave me the ride to the test and go with her and get some food. Then I touch base with the guys from Mont. County and we go drinkin at the green turtle. I call up the guy workin on my truck, and he says it'll be done in the morning. Sweeet...So we get shlitfaced. I mean downright hammered. Not gonna lie. The hot chick offers to let me stay with her, and I did end up hangin out a little more with her.....and stuff.....buuuut in the end, we ended up having the 18 y/o DD drive us back and I crashed in those dudes volly dept. in a spare bunk. Met the officers in the morning who cracked up and were loving the story....

SUNDAY-
    Got a ride to my truck, and had to go to like 4 ATMs to get the money to pay him. That was a story in itself. We pick the truck up and I'm on my way back home. It's like 7:30 AM and I have to be back to Michigan by 7PM because I had to work on the ambulance that nite. So I drove like a bat out of hell to make it back to work on time. When I filled up in Toledo, I found out that my gas gauge was not working anymore and the gas tank overflowed if you filled it up all the way. I guess that's what I get for paying $100 for a fuel pump job.

Made it back to work by 6, and had time to shower for the first time since Friday morning. That nite, on downtime at the ambulance station, I detailed the truck, and FOUND OUT THAT THE DAMN WRECKER DRIVER STOLE MY DIGITAL CAMERA! Trust me, that was a nice discovery to cap off an AWESOME weekend. Lol...

So here are a couple things I learned from all of this that hopefully someone can learn from who might be driving cross country to take a test:

-Don't take a P.O.S. vehicle. Have someone drive you. Borrow a reliable ride. Rent a car. If you can afford it, fly. Take a train if you have the time. Whatever. Just don't take a P.O.S. car, especially if it has reliability issues.

-Leave plenty of time ahead of time. If I hadn't, I might have been screwed.

-Always have a toothbrush, shampoo, and basic personal hygeine stuff with you in case you end up like I did.

-Take plenty of money. All of this, the gas, the car repairs, the food, the money I gave to people for giving me rides, and the stolen camera, cost me around $1000. If I hadn't taken quite a bit of money with me, and didn't have an awesome buddy who leant me $200, I'd have been screwed.

-Take all valuables with you if you leave your vehicle in someone elses hands.

Moral of the story: If you want something bad enough, you CAN make it work. Anything is possible. Your situation might suck and the cards might be stacked against you, but there is ALWAYS someone who has it worse.

Sorry for the length of this, but in reality, pretty much all of that needed o be told to tell the WHOLE story. Ok, I'll shut up now. Back to the BCFD thread....
    Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 08-27-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

Zach- have to hand it to ya man you went through a hell of a time to get to the test lets hope it pays off...but on the bright side if things fall through with the F.D you could always be a storyteller lol jk man...after all that like the rest of us it seems you really want the job...just one thing you should have added to your list of things to learn from...you should have taken that girls offer and stayed with her LOL...jk...well hope everything works out for ya and hopefully we all did well on the test

Forum Member
    Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar24 View Post
    just one thing you should have added to your list of things to learn from...you should have taken that girls offer and stayed with her LOL...jk...well hope everything works out for ya and hopefully we all did well on the test
    Hahaha.....yea, it was REALLY good too, that's the thing...lol

She had a badass place in Fells Point, and was absolutely awesome....

Hopin it works out....
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Thread Information