Like Tree1Likes

Thread: City of Baltimore

MembersZone Subscriber

Default City of Baltimore

Can anyone tell me when Baltimore will be hiring next? How often do they test, can anyone give me any insight onthe city. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Default Baltimore...

They will be testing in 2010. To my understanding they test every 2 years and if you're not a resident for at least 1 year prior to the test, you shouldn't bother showing up... IE you WILL NOT get the spot if you don't have residency on your side.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTGillinois View Post
    They will be testing in 2010. To my understanding they test every 2 years and if you're not a resident for at least 1 year prior to the test, you shouldn't bother showing up... IE you WILL NOT get the spot if you don't have residency on your side.

100% wrong. learn the facts before you start posting crap. there should be a test next year sometime. last test was may 2007. they have hired 3 classes off the current list with a rumor of 1 more being hired. which will pretty much exhaust the list. keep an eye out early next year for an announcement. as for residency. it doesn't hurt but you do NOT need it to get hired. my class had guys from MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY, DE. and you do not need to maintain residency either. so if you want the job go for it. i wouldn't take advice on east coast fire depts from a guy that lives in Illinois. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thenuthouse View Post
    100% wrong. learn the facts before you start posting crap. there should be a test next year sometime. last test was may 2007. they have hired 3 classes off the current list with a rumor of 1 more being hired. which will pretty much exhaust the list. keep an eye out early next year for an announcement. as for residency. it doesn't hurt but you do NOT need it to get hired. my class had guys from MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY, DE. and you do not need to maintain residency either. so if you want the job go for it. i wouldn't take advice on east coast fire depts from a guy that lives in Illinois. LOL
    thanks...for clearing that up...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys for help, ill deftinley be looking for there opening. My gf's parents live about an hour north of the city in York County PA, if things would work out thats where we would be headed. " nuthouse" did you get hired there, how was the test? any other insight? what kinda shifts, are you put on a bus for the first year? or do they put you whereever they feel that they need you? do you know what kinda certs they require or do they send you through there academy. thanks again guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhoe71 View Post
    Thanks guys for help, ill deftinley be looking for there opening. My gf's parents live about an hour north of the city in York County PA, if things would work out thats where we would be headed. " nuthouse" did you get hired there, how was the test? any other insight? what kinda shifts, are you put on a bus for the first year? or do they put you whereever they feel that they need you? do you know what kinda certs they require or do they send you through there academy. thanks again guys.
    alot of guys live up in the york area. its an easy commute down 83. the test is the basic reading/ math/ personality test that most cities are using these days. after that its onto the PAT, then oral interview, then medical. 48 hour work week, 2 10 hr days followed by 2 14hr nights, then 4 off. you will get detailed to drive a medic unit on a rotational basis. out of the academy they send you to an engine or truck whereever there are openings. no certs are needed and they arent gonna give you a leg up on anyone. everyone gets the same training, ff1, ff2, hazmat, evoc, emtb, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the insight

Forum Member

So here's my apology
    "I'm sorry"
    I was asking about Baltimore a while back and someone told me that if I didn't have Resedency or Vet. points to look elsewhere. You'll have to cut me some slack on this one. I'm looking to make it out to the East Coast some time. So I've been asking about Baltimore, Boston, Etc. and a lot of people have been telling me to put it out of mind unless I move there.

Now that you have me all excited, when do you get detailed to drive the box? Is that right out of academy or am I reading the answer wrong.

Thanks for setting me (and some other people) straight.

Forum Member

How many usually take the exam and about how large are the classes? Also, how was the training and how long was it? Thanks

Forum Member

So here's my apology
    "I'm sorry"
    I was asking about Baltimore a while back and someone told me that if I didn't have Resedency or Vet. points to look elsewhere. You'll have to cut me some slack on this one. I'm looking to make it out to the East Coast some time. So I've been asking about Baltimore, Boston, Etc. and a lot of people have been telling me to put it out of mind unless I move there.

Now that you have me all excited, when do you get detailed to drive the box? Is that right out of academy or am I reading the answer wrong.

Thanks for setting me (and some other people) straight.
    no sweat brother. you do 30 days in company then you are eligible to be detailed to the medic or other suppression cos. to fill in where needed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by delriofireman View Post
    How many usually take the exam and about how large are the classes? Also, how was the training and how long was it? Thanks

around 1000 usually sit for the test. depends on how hard they recruited. class sizes the past few years have been around 70 recruits per class. academy is approx. 18-20 weeks depending on how everything is scheduled out. the training academy is paramilitary. you will PT in the morning then usually classroom and evolutions the rest of day.

Forum Member

So you can end up driving the Box based on need throughout your career? I don't fully understand how placement works. Could you explain a little bit more about how assignments work?

How is it around Baltimore? It's a very big city so I'm sure that there's a lot of call volume. As far as Engine and Truck work do you guys have a lot of companies that see a lot of fire? Do your Engine and Trucks respond to medical calls or is that strictly for the boxes?
    Last edited by MTGillinois; 09-16-2008 at 04:52 AM. Reason: edit

Forum Member

So you can end up driving the Box based on need throughout your career? I don't fully understand how placement works. Could you explain a little bit more about how assignments work?

How is it around Baltimore? It's a very big city so I'm sure that there's a lot of call volume. As far as Engine and Truck work do you guys have a lot of companies that see a lot of fire? Do your Engine and Trucks respond to medical calls or is that strictly for the boxes?

until you promote to a rated position(ie. pump operator, truck co driver, lt, capt. etc.) or become the senior fireman on your shift you will get detailed to the medic and other suppression cos. it prob. averages out to once every 5 weeks. but im not positive. it depends on how many hours you have done. they try to keep the hours equal between everyone.

there are 6 people to the roster on most shifts. but we ride 4 on engs. and trucks. but we also work on a 6 number vacation rotation. so every trick (your 4 days of work) somebody is usually on vacation. which leaves five people. your officer, drivers, and senior firefighter are always in co. the junior men are the ones who get detailed around. so basically you share time in co. with the other junior guys on the roster. its really not bad. if you work on the engine your rotate between the pipe and lead off. if you work on a truck you ride the step. follow me. lol

Baltimore is a great city. good mix of everything. downtown is like most cities. office buildings and tourist attractions. as you get away from downtown your pretty much in the s h i t. alot of vacant row homes and rundown crap. makes for some good firefighting. of course you have some cos. that are busier than others and see more fire. but you will fight fire at any co. you cant hide from that here. the city isn't the biggest. i think we currently have 39 engines, 19 trucks, 1 heavy rescue. a box alarm consists of 5 engs 2 trucks 2 chiefs and a medic. so if you get a couple fires going at the same times most of the city will be moving around. all cos. run medic calls. both eng and trucks. the busiest engine cos. took in like 4500 runs last year. and i think the busiest truck was somewhere around 3700.

there are alot of opportunities to become a paid fireman around this area too. most of counties are combination depts., and theres DC and the counties in northern VA that are mostly paid.
    Last edited by thenuthouse; 09-16-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Forum Member

So say you were detailed to Engine 1 after you graduated Academy (I'm making things up here)... You're officially an Engine 1 Firefighter, but every once in a while you'll be detailed to fill in for someone on a different company, but you're still an Engine 1 FF? Am I understanding the way things work out there?
    As far as the rotations on your home company go, sounds like you move from spot to spot for a while... From one position with an assigned duty to another position with a different assigned duty on the same apparatus. I guess I'm still trying to make sure I'm understanding the process out there.
    It all sounds very good tho... Sounds like there's an opportunity to catch a lot of fire.

Forum Member

So say you were detailed to Engine 1 after you graduated Academy (I'm making things up here)... You're officially an Engine 1 Firefighter, but every once in a while you'll be detailed to fill in for someone on a different company, but you're still an Engine 1 FF? Am I understanding the way things work out there?
    As far as the rotations on your home company go, sounds like you move from spot to spot for a while... From one position with an assigned duty to another position with a different assigned duty on the same apparatus. I guess I'm still trying to make sure I'm understanding the process out there.
    It all sounds very good tho... Sounds like there's an opportunity to catch a lot of fire.
    I posted something here, but this is not the right place for it. Sorry.

Kevin

Forum Member

around 1000 usually sit for the test. depends on how hard they recruited. class sizes the past few years have been around 70 recruits per class. academy is approx. 18-20 weeks depending on how everything is scheduled out. the training academy is paramilitary. you will PT in the morning then usually classroom and evolutions the rest of day.
    So if I am reading these posts correctly, about 1,000 take the test and there will be 2 or 3 academies at 70 recruits each. That is better then 1 in 10 odds. If it is 3 academies, then it would be 1 in 5 odds. That is really good. I here Baltimore gets tons of fire and very traditional old school.

Forum Member

now your catching on. LOL. your exactly right. your still an engine 1 fireman. you just fill in where needed every once in a while.

as far as the positions. its a company policy. so everyone is different. but most cos. the senior man will get the pipe the 1st day work and 1st night work, while the junior man rides lead off. thens its vice versa for the 2nd day and night. some cos. the junior man always rides the pipe.

most detailed guys will ride lead off. the last thing you want is a guy from another co. coming in and putting out your fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    So if I am reading these posts correctly, about 1,000 take the test and there will be 2 or 3 academies at 70 recruits each. That is better then 1 in 10 odds. If it is 3 academies, then it would be 1 in 5 odds. That is really good. I here Baltimore gets tons of fire and very traditional old school.
    good math. yeah if you score well you have a good shot. but everything revolves around the dollar bill. so nothing is saying that they will keep the hiring trend the same.

Baltimore is a very traditional old school fire dept. we take pride in fast aggressive interior attacks. with the row homes and everything being built so close there you can lose an entire block of homes if you dick around.

Forum Member

good math. yeah if you score well you have a good shot. but everything revolves around the dollar bill. so nothing is saying that they will keep the hiring trend the same.

Baltimore is a very traditional old school fire dept. we take pride in fast aggressive interior attacks. with the row homes and everything being built so close there you can lose an entire block of homes if you dick around.
    Sounds like the homes are grouped together like in San Fransisco, very close together.

I need to review this thread to learn more about Baltomores testing process.

Kevin

Forum Member

Is truck looked at as a promotion out there?
    What are the positions for assignments like out there? Who does what?

Forum Member

Is truck looked at as a promotion out there?
    What are the positions for assignments like out there? Who does what?
    no, anyone can go to a truck. you just ride the rear step. obviously the officer is a promotion (lt ot capt) but the driver and tillerman is also a promotion. they are called emergency vehicle drivers. so basically everyone but the stepman is promoted. the breakdown is this:
    officer forces door and searches
    driver go to roof and does verticle ventilation
    tillerman throws ground ladders ventilates and searches
    stepman throws ground ladders ventlates and searches

the stepman will also over time become approved to drive and tiller. this way when an EVD is off the stepman can fill in. also you will become approved to act as a lt. so when the lt is off you can fill in. its nice because when you act in those positions you get that pay rate for the day.

Forum Member

Default promotions

How are promotions done in BCFD, seniority or testing?

Forum Member

Default Engine

How about Engine Duties too... who does what on the Engine?

And how are transfers handled? If you're on E1 and want to go to T2 can that happen? If so how?

MembersZone Subscriber

when your working your 2 night shifts are you able to sleep, or are you required to stay up the entire time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddbizkitt03 View Post
    How are promotions done in BCFD, seniority or testing?
    written test

Thread Information