Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Update on Brian

Just to let folks know that Brian (BC79er) and his family came through Ike OK . According to his email they lost power, but should be restored soon since the rest of the neighborhood has power. No damage to the home, but Andrea and Emma have gone to her mother's home which has power.

The destruction we see on the news is located on the SE side and Brian is located on the NW side.

Keep every one in your prayers.
    Last edited by onebugle; 09-14-2008 at 02:01 PM.

(Nevermind, the edit cleared it up)
    Last edited by nmfire; 09-14-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Default Good News

Thats good news, the tv shows much damage and destruction.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Great news, thanks for letting us know.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

thanks one bugle glad t know they are ok

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the update onebugle. I was a bit worried about Brian and his family. The news reports show a lot of destruction and I was not sure what part of Texas he was in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good to hear, thanks for the update.....anybody need their lawn watered?? We have gotten 8+ inches of rain in SW Mich in the last 36 hours.

bob
    I got your back

Thanks for the update on Brian & family bugle. Glad to hear that they survived without any major damage. Maybe we can convince him to move back north away from all these storms. Then he could do more seminars up this way.
    Ed

Well, he will walk away with the experience of having been a victim now, just as I had to do back in 2004 during the triple strike here in Florida. It made me wiser, it gave me more insight and it motivated me better to help all of you. I am quite sure he will walk away with a new respect for the "she devil" storms. Glad to hear his damage was minimal. Hang in there Brian hope you get back up and at em again soon.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Well, he will walk away with the experience of having been a victim now, just as I had to do back in 2004 during the triple strike here in Florida. It made me wiser, it gave me more insight and it motivated me better to help all of you. I am quite sure he will walk away with a new respect for the "she devil" storms. Glad to hear his damage was minimal. Hang in there Brian hope you get back up and at em again soon.
    Definately gain a new found respect for hurricanes and their destructive force. Got to do that evacuation thing from Fort Meyers during Charley when the family was on vacation. The kids had never been through one and were amazed at how powerful Charley was. The damage, destruction and the long gas lines will not be soon forgotten by this family.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Just to let folks know that Brian (BC79er) and his family came through Ike OK . According to his email they lost power, but should be restored soon since the rest of the neighborhood has power. No damage to the home, but Andrea and Emma have gone to her mother's home which has power.

The destruction we see on the news is located on the SE side and Brian is located on the NW side.

Keep every one in your prayers.
    What? The self proclaimed computer geek didn't have backup power? The Geek Squad is going to take away his pocket protector.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks for posting Bugle, and everyone for their thoughts.

Yes I had a UPS but it only ran for 2 hours. Figured since we were out of the main hit zone we wouldn't be bad on anything. Got inverters from 12V to charge just about everything and most of our friends have power so not an issue for us. Have water, gas, ended up with an in-law's generator that they didn't need since they never lost power so we can hang at the house and make a day out of it. Charge the cable modem for the phone, alarm system, and otherwise we're hanging. We're low maintenance anyway so electric is for the nice-to haves for us. We like camping. As I said in other posts the SE Side is what got nailed, and actually right through downtown up through Conroe and Montgomery County. Along with the Baytown area they lost a couple power plants so most estimates point to 2-4 weeks without power in those areas. Every main road around us has power so we can probably stay in gas and food without an issue so we're far from in need. Keep the thoughts and prayers coming to the region, just kindly direct them to others that really need it since we're not in the need category by any stretch.

Thanks - Brian

Forum Member

Brian,
    Nice to hear it was not a life changing experience. Good deal.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, not life changing for us. Although I will be looking for two generators in the future. The one we have is 5750W normal, 7500W peak. 11HP sucks down about 5 gal in 13 hours or so. Going to look for one that size to run everything, then a 1000-1500W with a sipper of a engine on it for the pure basics to make the gas last a little longer. Sams Club line wasn't bad for fuel this morning, maybe 30min wait. Lines elsewhere are ridiculous. Amazing how many people just didn't think about filling up beforehand.

But again, we're blessed compared to those that lost everything. Just saw some pics and live shots from Bolivar and West End of Galveston. not much standing, hopefully no one was in the area during the storm.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

tennessee has folks waiting in line. a lot of places are just out of fuel and are not getting any until the providers bring the price back down. Some places was pushing over 5 bucks a gallon where it was only 3.44 friday morning.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=BC79er;988727]No, not life changing for us. Although I will be looking for two generators in the future. The one we have is 5750W normal, 7500W peak. 11HP sucks down about 5 gal in 13 hours or so. Going to look for one that size to run everything, then a 1000-1500W with a sipper of a engine on it for the pure basics to make the gas last a little longer. QUOTE]

Glad to hear you weathered everything mostly intact.
    One of the first things I did after the tripple Florida hurricanes of 2004 was invest in a 27KW Propane Genset, with a 500 gal underground tank (wish I had natural gas in my neighborhood).
    The peace of mind it gives is absolutely incredible. Even with fuel costs of $9 per hour, the sweet AC is worth the bill ;-)
    Hang in there!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I was tempted by the last 4 that they had in the Home Depot when I was picking up 1x lumber for the windows. 13.5kW nat gas sets. Not sure the price, but I figure since the 5500W gas ones were $700 I didn't want to know. No time for the xfer switch action anyway. This house isn't so needy of it, but when we move to a bigger one it will be in the budget.

[QUOTE=Andy2802;988733]
    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    No, not life changing for us. Although I will be looking for two generators in the future. The one we have is 5750W normal, 7500W peak. 11HP sucks down about 5 gal in 13 hours or so. Going to look for one that size to run everything, then a 1000-1500W with a sipper of a engine on it for the pure basics to make the gas last a little longer. QUOTE]

Glad to hear you weathered everything mostly intact.
    One of the first things I did after the tripple Florida hurricanes of 2004 was invest in a 27KW Propane Genset, with a 500 gal underground tank (wish I had natural gas in my neighborhood).
    The peace of mind it gives is absolutely incredible. Even with fuel costs of $9 per hour, the sweet AC is worth the bill ;-)
    Hang in there!
    Amen to that Andy. I have a 15kw propane with 500 underground here also and I can't tell you the number of times that I have been glad that little jewle was back there. Nice to hear it hum to life and maintain power when all around me are dark. I just wave at the heathens sweating in the streets. I will gladly pay that $5K it cost me to put it in anytime.
    Brian don't forget FEMAs little $500 generator check if they are till doing that. By the way the genset was paid for with a SBA Disaster loan, as well as the roll down aluminum shutters. I also made sure I had TECO put in their at the meter surge protector ( Zap-Cap) with $25K of insurance against surge power blasts. $5 bucks a month here in Fla is cheap for that. Heck my 52 inch LG and these two 24 " monitors are worth saving there. Last surge got both garage door openers, all my phones, three color TVS including my HD set and all my stereo and computer gear and burned out the compressor on the freezer.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE=ktb9780;988794]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy2802 View Post

Amen to that Andy. I have a 15kw propane with 500 underground here also and I can't tell you the number of times that I have been glad that little jewle was back there. Nice to hear it hum to life and maintain power when all around me are dark. I just wave at the heathens sweating in the streets. I will gladly pay that $5K it cost me to put it in anytime.
    Brian don't forget FEMAs little $500 generator check if they are till doing that. By the way the genset was paid for with a SBA Disaster loan, as well as the roll down aluminum shutters. I also made sure I had TECO put in their at the meter surge protector ( Zap-Cap) with $25K of insurance against surge power blasts. $5 bucks a month here in Fla is cheap for that. Heck my 52 inch LG and these two 24 " monitors are worth saving there. Last surge got both garage door openers, all my phones, three color TVS including my HD set and all my stereo and computer gear and burned out the compressor on the freezer.
    Thinking maybe I need to get in on this Grant writing deal! LOL

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's the cop pension not the grant writing.

Thread Information