Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I'm calling bullscat on this one as well...

I'm finding it hard to believe
    I dont need to impress you. Im here to tell my story and see if there is anything i can do about it. I didnt come here for you to tell me you dont believe me because honestly i could care less. You dont like the topic have a problem with my decisions please press the X at the top of the screen because i dont have to prove my innocence to any one.
    My views and opinions are in no way affiliated with my department.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCVCadet View Post
    First off:

Im Volunteer
    It was a test not an open channel.
    I have a minitor II SV so i can't put it on vibrate
    My concern is for the active duty firefighters and EMT's. Will they get kicked out too?
    But you CAN turn the volume down low to a level that you can hear it and it won't disrupt everybody else. Believe me I used to do it as a Junior when I was in school every day.

My advice is this. If it offended you that badly DON'T GO BACK. Otherwise grow up, deal with it and turn it down next time you go in.

My station is volunteer and for those of you who dont know, pagers are used for when you do get a call/job you know when to go to the station, hence the term PAGER. I never supplied any information as to how high the volume was or how fast i turned it off.

It was set for bell. The tone went off at full volume for less than 5 seconds than i cleared the channel.
    I think most here are quite aware of what a pager is smartass. I don't buy this one bit that it was only loud or went off for five seconds and they told you to leave. No manager is that big of a ******. I could see if you were in there with radio traffic blaring but a simple test that lasted five seconds. Not likely.

I think you should just quit while your ahead because every post you make you seem to be digging a deeper hole for yourself.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Fair Enough. But i will leave you all with this. Im not lieing so don't think of me as one. Im just sharing my experience with you and looking for ways to avoid representing myself and my station in a negative way. I was a little confused because all it was was a short few tones. But apparently i was in the wrong place at the wrong time and suddenly became the bad guy. I appreciate the very few constructive thoughts.

That should be the end of this.
    Have a good night.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Drive your car to that bastards managers drive thru and turn up the music has loud has it will go, park it, then go to burger king and have a WHOPPER...... If that doesn't work try Taco Bell they're just over the boarder
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Um. I pretty much agree with all that has been said (except for the OP, obviously).

They have every right to tell you to leave. I would like to know the rest of the story... We're you guys screwing around? Being loud? Making messes? Being rude to the management and their employees? Trying to get free food? I know all the tricks... I worked at a local fast food joint for 14 months before quitting to have surgery. And yes, I have personally asked people to leave the dining room for being loud and making messes or throwing snowballs (yes, I've cleaned up snow inside the store) and purposely spilling drinks. There has to be more to the story.

What an embarrassment on your department's part.

OP - Consider spell checker. Please. Make yourself look a little more legit.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ltmdepas3280 View Post
    Drive your car to that bastards managers drive thru and turn up the music has loud has it will go, park it, then go to burger king and have a WHOPPER...... If that doesn't work try Taco Bell they're just over the boarder
    Haha if i didn't have to represent my town in a positive way, i just mite have done that
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Um. I pretty much argee with all that has been said (except for the OP, obviously).

They have every right to tell you to leave. I would like to know the rest of the story... We're you guys screwing around? Being loud? Making messes? Being rude to the management and their employees? Trying to get free food? I know all the tricks... I worked at a local fast food joint for 14 months before quitting to have surgery. And yes, I have personally asked people to leave the dining room for being loud and making messes or throwing snowballs (yes, I've cleaned up snow inside the store) and purposely spilling drinks. There has to be more to the story.

What an embarassment on your department's part.

That last line was not necessary and out of line.

However i do hope everything is ok with the surgery. And also please keep in mind. The basic intention for everything you've listed was to get in trouble and be mischievous . A pager going off usually means someone needs help. But really i wish to end it here. There is no point carrying on with this.

To each his own.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

So my question is, is this before or after you walked up and ordered with the pager open asking for the Emergency Services discount?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Savage / Hyneman 08'

I'm not going to comment on the incident. Enough has been said on both sides.

I would request that you remove the address and phone number of the restaurant in question. It is irresponsible to post such info on a public forum with the request that people contact them to back you up. Many viewing here are not members of the forum or in public service and their only motivation is to troll around looking for the chance to start some sh*t. This may come back at you as well as the restaurant.

Please show some class and edit your post.

Forum Member

Hey NCVcadet, one question.......Just how many girls WERE you trying to impress with your VFD pager?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Hazlet's pretty close to me, but why not just turn the pager's volume all the way down? Even if you're the only one inside the building, it's pretty hard to hear and disturb anyone.

By the way, if you're an Explorer, Cadet, Junior Firefighter, etc., why do you have a pager anyhow? As far as I know, if you're not a certified NJ firefighter you can't respond to calls anyway so I see no need to even have a pager yet. Our Cadets (Junior Firefighters) aren't issued pagers until they are at least in the fire academy, but, even at that point, they are limited in what they can and cannot do. They can respond to calls, but cannot respond for structure fires or MVA(C)'s. Even at any call, they are still limited in what they can do. They are usually just used for support if they do respond.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

For the second time tonight, I have to ask is this for real.

Forum Member

Fair Enough. But i will leave you all with this. Im not lieing so don't think of me as one. Im just sharing my experience with you and looking for ways to avoid representing myself and my station in a negative way. I was a little confused because all it was was a short few tones. But apparently i was in the wrong place at the wrong time and suddenly became the bad guy. I appreciate the very few constructive thoughts.

That should be the end of this.
    Have a good night.
    You very well could be telling the truth but to me it doesn't add up, according to what you've told us.

I'm sorry but five seconds worth of noise is hardly anything to kick a person out of a McDonald's for. If you cleared the channel that would essentially mean you got rid of the noise, which to the glue bag manager would have seemed like you turned it off. End of story and there should have been nothing for you to refuse and hell they shouldn't have even had to speak to you. I mean five seconds is almost instantaneous to get it cleared.

I cannot picture any restaurant kicking somebody out for five seconds of noise, not even a rich snooty restaurant like my wife makes me go to. So I don't buy it at all. Your done though(or at least you say you are) so just turn your damn pager down next time or go through the drive through.

P.S
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My guess is that in the OP's mind, this thread was going to go so much more differently. I'll bet he was expecting everyone to jump up, get angry and contact this restaurant.

Probably didn't see this coming.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Actually, five seconds IS a long time. Why did you not turn the volume down after the first second. This way, you can listen to the rest of the "beeps" and then the message with your pager to your ear.

What everyone else on here is trying to tell you is that this story reeks of some kid playing with his pager.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    I'm not going to comment on the incident. Enough has been said on both sides.

I would request that you remove the address and phone number of the restaurant in question. It is irresponsible to post such info on a public forum with the request that people contact them to back you up. Many viewing here are not members of the forum or in public service and their only motivation is to troll around looking for the chance to start some sh*t. This may come back at you as well as the restaurant.

Please show some class and edit your post.
    Heck. I'm thinking of calling the place and thanking the manager for doing his job and kicking him out. Idiots like this make us all look bad. Especially if he was asking for a discount. I've never understood why public safety folks believe they are entitled to pay a lower cost or nothing at all.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

...looking for ways to avoid representing myself and my station in a negative way...
    Sorry, too late.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

That last line was not necessary and out of line.

I didnt find Kyles statement to be out of line at all. Actually, I think he hit the nail on the head.

(......on a side note.......... WHATS UP RYAN!?!)

Acting professional, responsible, and mature is not a hard concept to master for most, but like you said, to each his own.

If i was a juvinile delinquit (sp?) or was just ****ed at the manager of a local McD's for kicking a "devoted public servant" out, I would do this...........................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeyL2...eature=related

Too bad I'm neither, I will just have to laugh at these videos on the internet. And the owner of our local golden arches is an extremely nice guy so I would never see this happen.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Go eat your Big Mac in the bathroom so you won't bother anyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I didnt find Kyles statement to be out of line at all. Actually, I think he hit the nail on the head.

(......on a side note.......... WHATS UP RYAN!?!)

Acting professional, responsible, and mature is not a hard concept to master for most, but like you said, to each his own.

If i was a juvinile delinquit (sp?) or was just ****ed at the manager of a local McD's for kicking a "devoted public servant" out, I would do this...........................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeyL2...eature=related

Too bad I'm neither, I will just have to laugh at these videos on the internet. And the owner of our local golden arches is an extremely nice guy so I would never see this happen.
    Not much man. Livin the dream. Getting geared up to go overseas in December. How's life with you?? Started your training yet?

Ryan

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

NCVCadet,

I always turn my pager down when I am in a restaraunt or most any public place when I know our FD scheduled test will occur. Pretty easy to figure out since the test occurs atapproximately the same time everyday.

Your problem here is you keep hopping back and forth in your story between defending having your pager on for a call and your total lack of class in a public place by having your pager OPEN after you said you knew it was a test. FIVE seconds before you silenced it? Why? If you knew it was a test silence it and go back to the dollar menu. My feeling here is you liked the attention you got by people looking at the wannabe fireman. The manager realizing you weren't going on a call asked you to shut it off. I would bet you cocked off to him and he said shut it off or leave.

My advice, wear the wacker shirt next time to draw attention to the fact that you want to be a firefighter when you grow up. Then since everyone will notice the shirt, turn your pager DOWN, not off, but down, so you stop distrubing people that don't want to be bothered by someone trying to look cool. Also, the wearing of a pager and representing your fire department carries some responsibility. One of which is to not look like a total *** in public. Give it a try.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Okay so your cool now, you sat alone at a mcdonalds and turned your radio up so that everyone could here it go off and you could look important. But it backfired and you got kicked out lol. Im sure the humiality of getting kicked out was enought to teach you a lesson. But how would you feel if you were sitting at a mcdonalds enjoying a meal with your family and all you heard was negative incidents coming over a radio and hearing graphic updates. Moreover how would you like it if you were that family member calling for help and knew that everyone at the local mcdonalds heard that address (embarssing call). Have some respect for the citizens that you serve, you are a public servant not a movie star and have some respect for what goes on in peoples private lifes. Did it ever cross your mind that the manager or someone in the facility at the time worked in public safety and had a traumatic experience and could not handle the sound of radios going off. But you looked cool right and thats all the matters when your a cadet. Right?? NO your wrong! But maybe Burger King will let you listen to your radio so give them a shot. But i think that you would be great in the Media Feild cause you obviously like exposing peoples personal lives to make yourself look better.

IF YOUR NOT ON SHIFT, YOU DONT NEED A RADIO!

Gone.

Don't tell the manager to "**** off" next time they politely ask you to turn your pager down.

Forum Member

Default And The Next Topic

My homeowners assot. fined me the other night when I tore through my neighborhood in my POV blaring sirens and blinding everyone with my lights.
    I think everyone should call them and complain!!!!!

JUST KIDDING

Forum Member

That pager got a vibrate or volume control?Turn the thing down or off when you are in an area where folks may need to pay attention to what's being said around them instead of the county dispatcher at full war emergency power tapping y'all out.
    I knew guys that would wear their pagers to Church and didn't get the hint when other congregants would ask" T-roy?Are we supposed to respond with you when your pager goes off?"
    Local restaurants can and DO offer FFs discounts at times when they patronize them.It draws in more business and keeps money in the local economy.
    You don't abuse the courtesy by demanding the discount just because you want to show off for non FF friends and you certainly don't disturb others who may be wanting a quiet meal themselves (even at Mickie D's).
    They can and DO also ask you not to ever come back when you get too loud and bother others.It doesn't have to be because you were wearing a pager that went off and made everyone jump.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-16-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information