Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Red face No Problem

I'm sorry but I don't see a problem here. If your pager went off I agree with everyone else here, why did you stick around? I think the manager was right to ask you to turn it off or leave. I don't usually leave my pager open in public like that for one simple reason, you never know who is listening! I was in a McDonalds and my pager was open (along with 3 others) and a call for a neighboring department was dispatched, the homeowner was in the restaurant and heard the dispatch address and freaked out and suddenly left the MickyD's in a heck of a hurry and got into an accident on the way there! So the four of us learned our lesson!!
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast68 View Post
    The point is when the responder who is eating in that horrible fast food joint recieves an alarm, they will leave. This, which has been said many times, ENDS THE PROBLEM. If you want people to respect you and emergency services, than respect thier right to eat in peace.

So what your saying is to take the spiteful approach and keep it on anyway.
    My views and opinions are in no way affiliated with my department.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mzanghetti View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't see a problem here. If your pager went off I agree with everyone else here, why did you stick around? I think the manager was right to ask you to turn it off or leave. I don't usually leave my pager open in public like that for one simple reason, you never know who is listening! I was in a McDonalds and my pager was open (along with 3 others) and a call for a neighboring department was dispatched, the homeowner was in the restaurant and heard the dispatch address and freaked out and suddenly left the MickyD's in a heck of a hurry and got into an accident on the way there! So the four of us learned our lesson!!
    AGAIN.. it was not on open, it was a test which set off the bell.
    Never Forget 343

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I'm calling bullscat on this one as well...

The managers told me to either turn my pager off or leave. I refused to turn the pager off so I was kicked out.

It was set for bell. The tone went off at full volume for less than 5 seconds than i cleared the channel.
    So first the manager asked you to shut the pager up and you refused, so you got kicked out. NOW, "the tone went off for less than 5 seconds then I cleared the channel". Which is it, did you refuse to turn it off or did you comply with the manager's request?

I'm finding it hard to believe that in this day and age when every Tom, Dick, and Harriet gets cell phone calls all day long with annoying ring tones going off in every conceivable public place, that the manager of a fast food joint would even pay any notice to a pager that went off for 5 seconds and was quickly silenced. He really just heard it beep once for 5 seconds and tossed you out of there, huh?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post

So first the manager asked you to shut the pager up and you refused, so you got kicked out. NOW, "the tone went off for less than 5 seconds then I cleared the channel". Which is it, did you refuse to turn it off or did you comply with the manager's request?

I'm finding it hard to believe that in this day and age when every Tom, Dick, and Harriet gets cell phone calls all day long with annoying ring tones going off in every conceivable public place, that the manager of a fast food joint would even pay any notice to a pager that went off for 5 seconds and was quickly silenced. He really just heard it beep once for 5 seconds and tossed you out of there, huh?

By standard english definition to turn an electronic device means to cut off the power supply and shutting the unit, in this case a pager, down. Clearing a channel is not turning the pager off. Sorry pal.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post

I'm finding it hard to believe
    I dont need to impress you. Im here to tell my story and see if there is anything i can do about it. I didnt come here for you to tell me you dont believe me because honestly i could care less. You dont like the topic have a problem with my decisions please press the X at the top of the screen because i dont have to prove my innocence to any one.
    Never Forget 343

Quote Originally Posted by NCVCadet View Post
    First off:

Im Volunteer
    It was a test not an open channel.
    I have a minitor II SV so i can't put it on vibrate
    My concern is for the active duty firefighters and EMT's. Will they get kicked out too?
    But you CAN turn the volume down low to a level that you can hear it and it won't disrupt everybody else. Believe me I used to do it as a Junior when I was in school every day.

My advice is this. If it offended you that badly DON'T GO BACK. Otherwise grow up, deal with it and turn it down next time you go in.

My station is volunteer and for those of you who dont know, pagers are used for when you do get a call/job you know when to go to the station, hence the term PAGER. I never supplied any information as to how high the volume was or how fast i turned it off.

It was set for bell. The tone went off at full volume for less than 5 seconds than i cleared the channel.
    I think most here are quite aware of what a pager is smartass. I don't buy this one bit that it was only loud or went off for five seconds and they told you to leave. No manager is that big of a ******. I could see if you were in there with radio traffic blaring but a simple test that lasted five seconds. Not likely.

I think you should just quit while your ahead because every post you make you seem to be digging a deeper hole for yourself.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Fair Enough. But i will leave you all with this. Im not lieing so don't think of me as one. Im just sharing my experience with you and looking for ways to avoid representing myself and my station in a negative way. I was a little confused because all it was was a short few tones. But apparently i was in the wrong place at the wrong time and suddenly became the bad guy. I appreciate the very few constructive thoughts.

That should be the end of this.
    Have a good night.
    Never Forget 343

Drive your car to that bastards managers drive thru and turn up the music has loud has it will go, park it, then go to burger king and have a WHOPPER...... If that doesn't work try Taco Bell they're just over the boarder
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Um. I pretty much agree with all that has been said (except for the OP, obviously).

They have every right to tell you to leave. I would like to know the rest of the story... We're you guys screwing around? Being loud? Making messes? Being rude to the management and their employees? Trying to get free food? I know all the tricks... I worked at a local fast food joint for 14 months before quitting to have surgery. And yes, I have personally asked people to leave the dining room for being loud and making messes or throwing snowballs (yes, I've cleaned up snow inside the store) and purposely spilling drinks. There has to be more to the story.

What an embarrassment on your department's part.

OP - Consider spell checker. Please. Make yourself look a little more legit.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ltmdepas3280 View Post
    Drive your car to that bastards managers drive thru and turn up the music has loud has it will go, park it, then go to burger king and have a WHOPPER...... If that doesn't work try Taco Bell they're just over the boarder
    Haha if i didn't have to represent my town in a positive way, i just mite have done that
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Um. I pretty much argee with all that has been said (except for the OP, obviously).

They have every right to tell you to leave. I would like to know the rest of the story... We're you guys screwing around? Being loud? Making messes? Being rude to the management and their employees? Trying to get free food? I know all the tricks... I worked at a local fast food joint for 14 months before quitting to have surgery. And yes, I have personally asked people to leave the dining room for being loud and making messes or throwing snowballs (yes, I've cleaned up snow inside the store) and purposely spilling drinks. There has to be more to the story.

What an embarassment on your department's part.

That last line was not necessary and out of line.

However i do hope everything is ok with the surgery. And also please keep in mind. The basic intention for everything you've listed was to get in trouble and be mischievous . A pager going off usually means someone needs help. But really i wish to end it here. There is no point carrying on with this.

To each his own.
    Never Forget 343

So my question is, is this before or after you walked up and ordered with the pager open asking for the Emergency Services discount?
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Savage / Hyneman 08'

I'm not going to comment on the incident. Enough has been said on both sides.

I would request that you remove the address and phone number of the restaurant in question. It is irresponsible to post such info on a public forum with the request that people contact them to back you up. Many viewing here are not members of the forum or in public service and their only motivation is to troll around looking for the chance to start some sh*t. This may come back at you as well as the restaurant.

Please show some class and edit your post.

Hey NCVcadet, one question.......Just how many girls WERE you trying to impress with your VFD pager?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Hazlet's pretty close to me, but why not just turn the pager's volume all the way down? Even if you're the only one inside the building, it's pretty hard to hear and disturb anyone.

By the way, if you're an Explorer, Cadet, Junior Firefighter, etc., why do you have a pager anyhow? As far as I know, if you're not a certified NJ firefighter you can't respond to calls anyway so I see no need to even have a pager yet. Our Cadets (Junior Firefighters) aren't issued pagers until they are at least in the fire academy, but, even at that point, they are limited in what they can and cannot do. They can respond to calls, but cannot respond for structure fires or MVA(C)'s. Even at any call, they are still limited in what they can do. They are usually just used for support if they do respond.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

For the second time tonight, I have to ask is this for real.

Fair Enough. But i will leave you all with this. Im not lieing so don't think of me as one. Im just sharing my experience with you and looking for ways to avoid representing myself and my station in a negative way. I was a little confused because all it was was a short few tones. But apparently i was in the wrong place at the wrong time and suddenly became the bad guy. I appreciate the very few constructive thoughts.

That should be the end of this.
    Have a good night.
    You very well could be telling the truth but to me it doesn't add up, according to what you've told us.

I'm sorry but five seconds worth of noise is hardly anything to kick a person out of a McDonald's for. If you cleared the channel that would essentially mean you got rid of the noise, which to the glue bag manager would have seemed like you turned it off. End of story and there should have been nothing for you to refuse and hell they shouldn't have even had to speak to you. I mean five seconds is almost instantaneous to get it cleared.

I cannot picture any restaurant kicking somebody out for five seconds of noise, not even a rich snooty restaurant like my wife makes me go to. So I don't buy it at all. Your done though(or at least you say you are) so just turn your damn pager down next time or go through the drive through.

P.S
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My guess is that in the OP's mind, this thread was going to go so much more differently. I'll bet he was expecting everyone to jump up, get angry and contact this restaurant.

Probably didn't see this coming.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Actually, five seconds IS a long time. Why did you not turn the volume down after the first second. This way, you can listen to the rest of the "beeps" and then the message with your pager to your ear.

What everyone else on here is trying to tell you is that this story reeks of some kid playing with his pager.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information