Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Kicked Out Of Local McDonalds??

Edit: ....
    Last edited by NCVCadet; 09-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    My views and opinions are in no way affiliated with my department.
    Never Forget 343

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCVCadet View Post
    Yesterday afternoon I was kicked out of a local McDonald's because my pager went off while I was inside. The managers told me to either turn my pager off or leave. I refused to turn the pager off so I was kicked out. Any one else find this disturbing? That Emergency Service Workers and Cadet Emergency Service Workers are not allowed to have their pagers on inside of this place because it "annoys" others.

Personally I find the managers to be ungrateful, because, every time those tones go out that means there are people, unselfishly, putting their own lives at risk to help others in need. Clearly whats more important to them is for people to not be "annoyed" by a short 5 second tone, but than again, they don't understand. That's why they work in fast food and not Emergency Services.

But the thing that bothers me the most is me not allowed to have my pager on if i go there. Will it happen to others. Will they make other firefighters, EMT's, paramedics, etc. turn off their pagers. What if there is a call and those men/women can't hear the tones because their alerting devices are off. Seconds are precious in an emergency. And the managers of McDonald's are seeing to it that those seconds may turn into minutes.

Please help me do something to stop this from ever happening again.

Address:
    McDonald's
    3140 State Highway 35
    Hazlet, NJ 07730

Tel# 732 203 0818
    Store # 23758

Feel free to call and complain or post some other ideas.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    What if fish don't have bicycles? How will they ever live?

Yesterday afternoon I was kicked out of a local McDonald's because my pager went off while I was inside. The managers told me to either turn my pager off or leave. I refused to turn the pager off so I was kicked out. Any one else find this disturbing? That Emergency Service Workers and Cadet Emergency Service Workers are not allowed to have their pagers on inside of this place because it "annoys" others.
    I don't find it annoying at all. I just wouldn't go back if I were on duty with a pager or radio.

They are a private entity and have the right to determine their own rules relating to their workplace.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Personally I find the managers to be ungrateful, because, every time those tones go out that means there are people, unselfishly, putting their own lives at risk to help others in need. Clearly whats more important to them is for people to not be "annoyed" by a short 5 second tone, but than again, they don't understand. That's why they work in fast food and not Emergency Services.

But the thing that bothers me the most is me not allowed to have my pager on if i go there. Will it happen to others. Will they make other firefighters, EMT's, paramedics, etc. turn off their pagers. What if there is a call and those men/women can't hear the tones because their alerting devices are off. Seconds are precious in an emergency. And the managers of McDonald's are seeing to it that those seconds may turn into minutes.

Well first of all there are two sides to every story. If your pager goes off, then there really is no reason for you to be hanging around anyway. Perhaps you were playing around to make yourself look like a cool firefighter and having the pager open to the county etc. You could have had the pager on vibrate, if so equipped, or had the volume turned down. Either way your actions have upset the managers and if there really was an actual call, you shouldn't have been hanging around then, correct? There are many reasons for you to be getting kicked out and right now we have a one sided view only.
    Also, McDonalds is a PRIVATE business and can enforce whatever rules they wish.

I think there is more to this story than what we are led to believe and I won't be contacting any place from the views of cadet who got booted from a fast food place.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

You have absolutely no idea how hard I laughed when I read this.

Ok first of all you are a cadet. So your response to an emergency is most likely negligible. Fires will go out and people will make it to the hospital whether you are there or not. Sure, if you have an opportunity to observe and maybe help to an extent, by all means, take avantage of it, but by no means should you go whining about being told your pager was disturbing by a local resturateur.

If the call was so important, why didnt you go?

I also think that there was more to this story. Did you leave the pager on obnoxiously loud after the tone to listen? Has there been a history of firefighters goofing around in the resturaunt and the manager just didnt want to deal with it?
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 09-14-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Yesterday afternoon I was kicked out of a local McDonald's because my pager went off while I was inside. The managers told me to either turn my pager off or leave. If your pager went off, shouldnt you have left for the emergency? I refused to turn the pager off so I was kicked out. As the manager should have- after all, the customers in the restaurant deserve the chance to eat their lunches in peace and quiet. Any one else find this disturbing? No, not at all. What I find disturbing is that a cadet has a pager that he/she obviously does not need, nor deserve, as he/she obviously is not mature enough to know when to have it on, turn the volume down or even reset it if the call is for something that you are not needed for. So exactly why DIDNT you leave? Was the call for something for which your services were not required? And if so, wouldnt resetting the pager have been the adult thing to have done? Or were you attempting to look "cool" and make all the patrons of the restaurant look at you when the pager "talked"? It's probably safe to assume they knew you were a wacker when you walked into the restaurant with a FD T-Shirt, 2 pagers, a scanner, a nextel, and an EMT Belt Clip on your sideThat Emergency Service Workers and Cadet Emergency Service Workers are not allowed to have their pagers on inside of this place because it "annoys" others.

But the thing that bothers me the most is me not allowed to have my pager on if i go there. Will it happen to others. Will they make other firefighters, EMT's, paramedics, etc. turn off their pagers. What if there is a call and those men/women can't hear the tones because their alerting devices are off. Seconds are precious in an emergency. And the managers of McDonald's are seeing to it that those seconds may turn into minutes. It's probably safe to assume it wont be a problem for several reasons: 1. A real firefighter/EMT/Medic will LEAVE when their pager trips, -OR- they are mature enough to reset it when they realize the call is not for them.

Please help me do something to stop this from ever happening again.

Address:
    McDonald's
    3140 State Highway 35
    Hazlet, NJ 07730

Tel# 732 203 0818
    Store # 23758

Feel free to call and complain or post some other ideas.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    Other ideas: 1. Turn in your pager. You dont need it, you dont deserve it, you are not mature enough to handle it. 2. Get over yourself.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    What if fish don't have bicycles? How will they ever live?
    Snakes have no arms, thats why the dont wear vests.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Other ideas: 1. Turn in your pager. You dont need it, you dont deserve it, you are not mature enough to handle it. 2. Get over yourself.
    Well put. (well including what you added to his quote too, since that wont show up)
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

This wouldnt happen to be the department you are a cadet at now would it?

http://www.geocities.com/northcentervillevolfireco/

god

Just curious, where you ordering? Was it busy? Eating there? Some more details...

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    This wouldnt happen to be the department you are a cadet at now would it?

http://www.geocities.com/northcentervillevolfireco/
    ^where are you going with this?
    Last edited by mikie333; 09-14-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333 View Post
    ^where are you going from this?
    I was just curious. Searched for fire departments near the town the mc donalds was said to be in because i wanted to see if it had any information on their cadet program to see if it looked well strucutred and just out of curiosity.

Permanently Removed

What kind of settings do you have on your pager. Cant you put it on vibrate? It's obvious it was annoying enough for them to ask you to turn it off.

Are you on call? Whats more important, to listen to your pager or eat? Bon apetit!!!

If it is that important for you to be ready to respond, then next time go to the drive up, that way your ready to go!!!

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Well first of all there are two sides to every story. If your pager goes off, then there really is no reason for you to be hanging around anyway. Perhaps you were playing around to make yourself look like a cool firefighter and having the pager open to the county etc. You could have had the pager on vibrate, if so equipped, or had the volume turned down. Either way your actions have upset the managers and if there really was an actual call, you shouldn't have been hanging around then, correct? There are many reasons for you to be getting kicked out and right now we have a one sided view only.
    Also, McDonalds is a PRIVATE business and can enforce whatever rules they wish.

I couldn't add any more to what has already been said by jc.

If the pager goes off and you get up and respond, the problem ends there. If you are sitting around monitoring traffic and choosing your calls, you obviously have the ability to shut it off.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Were you being a wacker/*** and have your pager open, despite the fact that your station wasn't on a job so all around you could hear what the rest of the stations on your freq. are doing?

Granted, when I wear my pager it is usually up loud so I can hear it, but once I hear it, my hand covers the speaker until I can turn it down.

Or I just put it on pleasure. I mean vibrate.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

First off:

Im Volunteer
    It was a test not an open channel.
    I have a minitor II SV so i can't put it on vibrate
    My concern is for the active duty firefighters and EMT's. Will they get kicked out too?
    Never Forget 343

But you can hit the reset button or turn it down.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Were you being a wacker/*** and have your pager open, despite the fact that your station wasn't on a job so all around you could hear what the rest of the stations on your freq. are doing?

Granted, when I wear my pager it is usually up loud so I can hear it, but once I hear it, my hand covers the speaker until I can turn it down.

Or I just put it on pleasure. I mean vibrate.

My station is volunteer and for those of you who dont know, pagers are used for when you do get a call/job you know when to go to the station, hence the term PAGER. I never supplied any information as to how high the volume was or how fast i turned it off.

It was set for bell. The tone went off at full volume for less than 5 seconds than i cleared the channel.
    Never Forget 343

First off:

Im Volunteer
    It was a test not an open channel.
    I have a minitor II SV so i can't put it on vibrate
    My concern is for the active duty firefighters and EMT's. Will they get kicked out too?
    Sorry. I'm throwing down the BULLSCHIT flag. You are not telling us everything. I find it hard to believe a manager would just up and "throw you out" for a "test", especially since you could have turned it down, off, or reset the pager LONG BEFORE he could have heard it.....The beeping from the deep friers when they are done is louder and longer...

Exactly what part of the story are you leaving out? The one where you left the volume all the way up for the entire duration of the test, or the part where it wasnt a test, it was some kind of a call where you left the volume all the way up and listened for the entire duration?

Forum Member

The point is when the responder who is eating in that horrible fast food joint recieves an alarm, they will leave. This, which has been said many times, ENDS THE PROBLEM. If you want people to respect you and emergency services, than respect thier right to eat in peace.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sorry. I'm throwing down the BULLSCHIT flag. You are not telling us everything. I find it hard to believe a manager would just up and "throw you out" for a "test", especially since you could have turned it down, off, or reset the pager LONG BEFORE he could have heard it.....The beeping from the deep friers when they are done is louder and longer...

Exactly what part of the story are you leaving out? The one where you left the volume all the way up for the entire duration of the test, or the part where it wasnt a test, it was some kind of a call where you left the volume all the way up and listened for the entire duration?

You can be immature and think i'm lieing, If that's just how you are. It seems like everyone WANTS to be against someone. But that's how you live your life we wont touch on that. I know what happened and im not leaving anything out and im not making anything up. You don't have to listen to me, you can go on pretending like you were there I understand.
    Never Forget 343

Thread Information