Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Cool City of Beachwood, Ohio

A friend of mine is in the top 10, but hasnt heard anything- in awhile...Anyone on here hear anything?

Thanks, Christie

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything?

Forum Member

A small department like Beachwood probably only hires 1-2 guys every two years or so. Most likely your friend hasn't heard anything because they aren't hiring. Just be patient and keep taking other tests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    A small department like Beachwood probably only hires 1-2 guys every two years or so. Most likely your friend hasn't heard anything because they aren't hiring. Just be patient and keep taking other tests.
    As a Beachwood firefighter, I will take this one. You are completely wrong, sorry to be so blunt. We are in an expansion mode right now. There is a ton of construction and expansion in the City. We are going to be hiring soon. The process is moving along as we speak. We are going to be replacing one guy that retired and 3 addtional people. This will continue, as we have been told for possibly the next three years. We also have several guys that could retire at any time. So, we will be hiring soon, not sure about numbers for sure of the life of the list. This is a good list to be on though.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thank you very much Jason! My friend had heard that they were hiring 3 by September, and 2 more by December, but then that changed to 4 by October?
    My friend did just hear that the #1 guy on the list, got an in-home interview..my friend is waiting for the call on that (he is actually in the top 5).
    How long have you worked for Beachwood? It must be so thrilling to be a part of such a growing, prosperous, beautiful city!

Forum Member

Secure yes. Thrilling not so much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltFire View Post
    Secure yes. Thrilling not so much.
    Wow, you too Rustbeltfire?!

Forum Member

I dont work for Beachwood

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    As a Beachwood firefighter, I will take this one. You are completely wrong, sorry to be so blunt. We are in an expansion mode right now. There is a ton of construction and expansion in the City. We are going to be hiring soon. The process is moving along as we speak. We are going to be replacing one guy that retired and 3 addtional people. This will continue, as we have been told for possibly the next three years. We also have several guys that could retire at any time. So, we will be hiring soon, not sure about numbers for sure of the life of the list. This is a good list to be on though.
    Did you receive my questions for you?

Forum Member

Why isnt your "friend" asking these questions?

Forum Member

My friend is busy working his part time fire jobs trying to suppor this family. Too busy to do what I am doing, for him

Forum Member

:NEW:

Have heard Civil Serice has "disquailified" a bunch of canidates..including most of the top 10...

Forum Member

All I know for sure, is that they are planning on hiring 4 soon. I have not heard the official news from Civil Service yet. I am back at work tomorrow. As far as a growing City, that is an understatement. We have a hospital, a massive 24 hour gym, office buildings, Eaton Corp is coming to town, and suppoedly a new nursing home is being planned. Station 2 is being looked at for possible replacement as well. I have been there almost 10 years now.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

All I know for sure, is that they are planning on hiring 4 soon. I have not heard the official news from Civil Service yet. I am back at work tomorrow. As far as a growing City, that is an understatement. We have a hospital, a massive 24 hour gym, office buildings, Eaton Corp is coming to town, and suppoedly a new nursing home is being planned. Station 2 is being looked at for possible replacement as well. I have been there almost 10 years now.

Thanks for responding. Wow 10 years! Congratulations!

Do you (or anyone ) know if the "disqualifying" is something new, or standard? Alot of my friends' friends got kicked off the list. Most of them for 3 reasons one guy had 4 reasons....I am wondering if this is how they weed through who they want?

Has anyone heard of this before? Most of the guys were top 10...

Thanks,
    Christie

Forum Member

Any City has the right to disqualify candidates for a variety of reasons. You could be the number 1 candidate and get disqualified. For instance, if you lie on your application or you polygraph/voice stress analyzer you could get DQ'd. I got booted from a list because they said I failed my very first polygraph. I am sure that nerves weren't helping me there. They can disqualify candidates based on background checks. There are a ton of legitimate reasons that this could occur. Just because someone scores well on a list, does not make them and automatic employee. Departments in this area use either a 3:1, 5:1 or 10:1 interview process. This allows them to hire one out of the group anyhow.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Any City has the right to disqualify candidates for a variety of reasons. You could be the number 1 candidate and get disqualified. For instance, if you lie on your application or you polygraph/voice stress analyzer you could get DQ'd. I got booted from a list because they said I failed my very first polygraph. I am sure that nerves weren't helping me there. They can disqualify candidates based on background checks. There are a ton of legitimate reasons that this could occur. Just because someone scores well on a list, does not make them and automatic employee. Departments in this area use either a 3:1, 5:1 or 10:1 interview process. This allows them to hire one out of the group anyhow.
    May I contact you via forum email?

Forum Member

Email me direct at jason@jbrescue.com
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information