Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for some advice

Ok guys flame on if you would like but...

Saturday will be my first burn ever. Up until this Saturday the only fire i have seen was in a flash over simulator. I am in a Fire Control class, and while i realize i am there to learn, i have never been on the nozzle fighting a fire, or face to face with one at that.

Just looking for some advice to get the most out of this class and out of all the burn we are doing in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the help you guys have given me thus far, good to be somewhere that i can ask questions to numerous experienced people.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Here is some advice for every practicle exercise you will face in the fire service, including your upcoming burn.

Never miss a chance to work. While others are hanging around waiting to be told to get to work, be at the front of the crowd ready to go. Get as much time in as you can, in every position. On a hose line #2 and #3 are just as important as the #1 nozzleman. Or woman. No matter what the mission is be ready and willing to get dirty.

Now on your lack of time on the nozzle, talk to your chief or instructor before the burn. Explain why you need some extra time on the nozzle to get some experience and I would think they would make sure you get enough. Never be afraid to ask for more work.

And try to never take the easy way out. In my FF1 class we were doing ladder rescues from the 3rd floor of the training tower. Everyone kept telling the 110lb girl in the class to be the victim that they rescue, and the instructors didn't seem to mind. When my name was called I stood up and pointed to the biggest person there ( 250lb guy ) and told him he was my victim to rescue.

In this business if something is easy, you're probably doing it wrong

Forum Member

Thank you sir, I had already figured on attempting to go in as many times as i possibly could. We have a lot of burns this week and next week so I should get plenty of practice time in.

DFDMAXX good advice.

Another thing I'd throw out there for you is that if you aren't working, don't be fooling around and not paying attention. In my FF1 class we did evolutions in groups, and 1 group sometimes would sit out in 'rehab' for that evolution.

When you're in 'rehab' make sure you're watching the evolution that's going on. You can learn a lot from just observing. Seeing how other groups operate, good or bad, can impact how you do the evolution next time. If you see something that didn't work, you know not to do it. Or conversely, if you see something that worked good, now you know how to do it.

Just be attentive, and you'll be surprised how much you can learn from just observing what's going on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't be too excited and hurry. Take your time, watch the fire and all around you. keep your eyes moving, don't forget about your rear. use just as much water as you need, not too much. Training burns can get WAY hot from steam. have fun!

Forum Member

if its a Class A burn see if you can shadow one of the instructors tending the fire for an evolution (if you'll be running a good number). It was something they made us do in FF1 and you can learn a lot. You get to watch the fire from start to extinguishment. You'll also experience some neat things as your gear starts to be heated by extended exposure to heat.

Pay attention.
    Listen to your instuctors before, during and after each evolution.

Since you'll be in high heat exposure for relatively long periods; hydrate starting at least the day before.
    Don't forget to control your breathing.
    Help out whereever you can.
    Have fun!

Forum Member

Thank you to everyone. Tomorrow is the day. Hopefully i do not get into a rush, but i must admit i am nervous so who knows what will happen when i get the adrenaline dump. Either way, i believe i am as excited as i am nervous. There is only me and one other rookie in this class, the rest are veterans who are finishing up their FFII cert. Thankfully it is supposed to be a nice partly cloudy 76 degrees tomorrow so atleast we wont be baking in rehab.

Well, wish me luck and pray that everything goes as planned and everyone gets through safe. Ill be back on tomorrow to let everyone know how things went. Hopefully i can get some good footage off my helmet cam while i am in there as well. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

Dan

Forum Member

Well, it has been 24 hours and my post from last night still hasnt been approved of something. But...

Had the fire today, everything went great. Got a little steam burn the first evolution but after making an adjustment to how i covered my mask with the hood all was good. No injuries from anyone. Weather was great and a nice breeze felt awesome during rehab.

Thanks for the advice, ill use it all again on Friday for our next burn.

Forum Member

48 hours, 2 posts and mods still havent approved either message? How long am i on this mod approval status?

Anyway, again fire went good. I feel it today though, I need to get into better shape i think. What i learned the most, you cant get down the stairs fast enough in a basement fire! Even cooling a little bit still make it miserable. But it only took one evolution to realize that the trip up the stairs is 100 times worse than the trip down the stairs. I hate steam!!!

Now for Friday night's 6000 Sq. Ft. live burn. Hopefully it wont be as hot as that burn building.

Thread Information