Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default Temp jobs for Status employees

    I am having a hard time trying to figure out why a status employee would ever want to accept a temporary or term position. I would think that once in the system, one could easily find a permanent job.

    Position Information: - Temporary Position Not to Exceed: TERM NTE 4 YEARS -- Full Time
    Duty Locations: 6 vacancies - CO - Colorado Springs
    Who May Be Considered:
    Status Candidates
    This is for entry level Firefighter

    Am I way off on this one?

    Thanks,

    Kevin


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    434

    Default

    maybe they pick the best of the best after those 4 years, or maybe the funding is for 4 years at a time. If you are in the system and want to go to that location, go for it!

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I believe it is to open it up to the military vets, who have the certs.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I have a guy I worked with call out there and ask and they told him it was because they viewed it as a trial period. they said if you were good and they liked you then they would pick you up full time but if you were a dirt bag then they didn't have to worry about firing you they would just let you go at the end of the temp period. I guess it makes sence from the management point of view and it would be nice I guess working there and knowing that if someone useless gets hired you aren't stuck with them but for the guy getting hired it is kind of stressful not knowing if you are going to fit in with the new crew and in the back of your mind knowing that if you don't you may not keep your job.
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meapplegate View Post
    I have a guy I worked with call out there and ask and they told him it was because they viewed it as a trial period. they said if you were good and they liked you then they would pick you up full time but if you were a dirt bag then they didn't have to worry about firing you they would just let you go at the end of the temp period. I guess it makes sence from the management point of view and it would be nice I guess working there and knowing that if someone useless gets hired you aren't stuck with them but for the guy getting hired it is kind of stressful not knowing if you are going to fit in with the new crew and in the back of your mind knowing that if you don't you may not keep your job.
    I always though t permanent employees had hiring rights over non permanent. Once you are in the system with your 3 years, it takes an act of Congress to get you fired. Train period or not, once you are in the system, you would have to mess up big time to be kicked out.

    Maybe I am wrong.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I in no way speak for my management but I will tell you this... meapplegate and devildog arent that far off. I believe we're supposed to hire a lot in the near future but not quite authorized. This is a way to get some hires now. We typically convert our terms into perms at one point or another. Ive seen it as quick as 4 months and as slow as 2 years. If you have a question send me a PM.

    If you read on it tells you that it's open to the following
    Reinstatement eligibles.
    Veterans eligible as 30% Disabled Veterans.
    Veterans' Recruitment Authority (VRA).
    Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligibles.
    Family member employees eligible under Executive Order 12721.

    I think the web sites down but will tell u Its a great area and a very nice department.... if youre up for the move it might be worth it

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe1976 View Post
    I in no way speak for my management but I will tell you this... meapplegate and devildog arent that far off. I believe we're supposed to hire a lot in the near future but not quite authorized. This is a way to get some hires now. We typically convert our terms into perms at one point or another. Ive seen it as quick as 4 months and as slow as 2 years. If you have a question send me a PM.

    If you read on it tells you that it's open to the following
    Reinstatement eligibles.
    Veterans eligible as 30% Disabled Veterans.
    Veterans' Recruitment Authority (VRA).
    Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligibles.
    Family member employees eligible under Executive Order 12721.

    I think the web sites down but will tell u Its a great area and a very nice department.... if youre up for the move it might be worth it
    I do not meet any of the above requirements. . If it were open to everyone I would consider testing. I here Colorado is quite nice. They do sometimes open the positions to the public and that is when I can apply.

    Regarding non-military, employees who have never been career or career conditional, do they ever have a hard time being converted into permanent firefighters? I was told it can be tough. That is the boat I would be in.

    Do you have an email? I did not see a way to pm you.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    240

    Default

    DoD civilians are like nukes... they never work and you can't fire them.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    logrod1980 at gmail.com

  10. #10
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    DoD civilians are like nukes... they never work and you can't fire them.
    Tell that to the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Look, it's a foot in the door for some.
    For others its a chance to get to the base they want.
    For other, if youv'e proved yourselve, you'll get the permanent job whne funding comes.
    Sometimes it's easier to hire terms.
    The funding may not last 4 years, but then you would get all the perks of a rif THEN...

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Where is this posting for?
    what base in the springs?

  13. #13
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    Look, it's a foot in the door for some.
    For others its a chance to get to the base they want.
    For other, if youv'e proved yourselve, you'll get the permanent job whne funding comes.
    Sometimes it's easier to hire terms.
    The funding may not last 4 years, but then you would get all the perks of a rif THEN...
    Said it before, sayin it again.....Started as a GS4 TEMP NTE 1 Year. Got extended 1 year. At Month 13 got hired as a GS5 TERM. At Month 15 at that position, got converted to Career. Received all the perks when myself and 10 others were RIF'd, and went (via the stopper list) to APG.

    I was turning wrenches as an apprentice mechanic in a heavy truck shop. Realized I didnt like it as a career, so that GS4 Temp Position was definetly a gamble for me. But it worked out in the end. Play your cards right, and it can work for you, too.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Fort Carson

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    Look, it's a foot in the door for some.
    For others its a chance to get to the base they want.
    For other, if youv'e proved yourselve, you'll get the permanent job whne funding comes.
    Sometimes it's easier to hire terms.
    The funding may not last 4 years, but then you would get all the perks of a rif THEN...
    I was a Term in Rhode Island and got my RIF notice. Since I was not Permanent, I had NO RIF perks. You have to be prior military or already carear.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Im a temp right now. But it was either be temp or keep working contract. The contract place I was working was, well it was not firefighter frendly. Only reason I worked for them is Capt. looks good on a resume. But I got handed a lot more then I expected, lots of Chief duties with out the pay. Kind of being a Cpl. in the Army, all the NCO responsibilities and none of the pay.

    From what im told being a temp is just like as stated above. They want to make sure your good to go and not lazy before they give you a full time spot. Either way it's find with me, I got my foot in the door but id rather stay here.
    Last edited by shortimer52; 09-25-2008 at 04:09 PM.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortimer52 View Post
    Im a temp right now. But it was either be temp or keep working contract. The contract place I was working was, well it was not firefighter frendly. Only reason I worked for them is Capt. looks good on a resume. But I got handed a lot more then I expected, lots of Chief duties with out the pay. Kind of being a Cpl. in the Army, all the NCO responsibilities and none of the pay.

    From what im told being a temp is just like as stated above. They want to make sure your good to go and not lazy before they give you a full time spot. Either way it's find with me, I got my foot in the door but id rather stay here.
    Temp positions are a great way to get your foot in the door. If you prove yourself, the Chief will hire you. However, you have to make the cert list in order for the Chief to select you. If too many Vets apply, regardless of experience or certs, non Vets will not make the list. The Chief has to pick a Vet. It just happened to me about 3 months ago.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    Temp positions are a great way to get your foot in the door. If you prove yourself, the Chief will hire you. However, you have to make the cert list in order for the Chief to select you. If too many Vets apply, regardless of experience or certs, non Vets will not make the list. The Chief has to pick a Vet. It just happened to me about 3 months ago.
    Guess its a good thing I have the certs and a 12 year vet!

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortimer52 View Post
    Guess its a good thing I have the certs and a 12 year vet!
    Then you are golden. Congradulations on your future permanent position as a Firefighter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Vicenza Temp. Position
    By showboshe in forum Americans Overseas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 02:29 AM
  2. Good temp jobs while waiting to get hired?
    By bmac82 in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
  3. what is the high temp for SCBA air bottles?
    By suzie in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2001, 11:53 PM
  4. Effects of temp extremes onTIC's
    By chf jstano in forum Thermal Imaging Cameras
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2000, 10:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts