Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wearing fire t-shirts to testing

I would like to know if it is a good or bad idea to wear a polo shirt with my name embroidered on it from my current department to test in. I am considering this to hopefully show my experience, and to put my name out there. I have been seeing a lot of candidates wear fire related clothing to the written and physical portions of testing. I see this as being effective in psyching out other competitors, but wonder how it is perceived by the department administering the test. Does wearing fire shirts that tie you to another department send the wrong message?

MembersZone Subscriber

A bad idea? In my opinion, yes. It makes you look like a wacker. You want to get a job with the new department, not boast about your current affiliation. Wear something clean, unmarked and appropriate. I would classify this as being "business attire",

Skip the letterhead idea too, I think that was you. You are in the running with a bunch of people I am sure. Your time to provide your qualifications is in your interview and resume, not letterhead and tshirts.

Forum Member

Bad idea. I saw plenty of people do this when I was testing. It just made me laugh a little. And of course they would sit there and talk about how they have it "made". And how much experience they have, and how many chiefs they know.......etc. Then they talk about how they do things at their dept. It's the same song and dance.

Personally, it did nothing to my mental game. But that's just me. I'm sure people have been hired that wore their dept's crap through out the testing process.

Some Guy

There will be a few others that will post here that have a much better opinion then mine.

I will offer this though.

A few years ago I took the test for a very large department in California. Before they opened the door to allow everyone in they had everyone line up around the building single file. It was a very large group of people. It was pretty wild. The dress was flip-flops, shorts, jeans, beach wear, t-shirts (some of which were way out of line), academy shirts, FD shirts, uniforms of other departments, and suits. The testers behavior was almost matched with what they were wearing. This did not apply to everyone, but most.

I had not gone through the testing process in about 10 years so I was out of the loop. I reached out and found someone that has a lot of experience in testing. Even before I took the test I met with him to go over things. After meeting with him and going over the written test, background investigation, oral interview and the CPAT I was much better prepared. One of the things we talked about was the importance of wearing a suit. He even told me that when I met with him I should wear a suit. You are applying to a lifetime career. This is what you want as your lifeís work. Donít you want to look like you are taking this seriously?

Your question about wanting to wear a fire department shirt to identify you as a firefighter is a valid one. Yet, there are a lot of departments that donít care. Chances are there will be a lot of people wearing FD shirts from all over. Your application and resume should have all the important information in it. Wear a suit if you want to stand out

Like I said before, chances are you are going to get a lot of opinions on this.

Good luck to you.
    This space for rent

A polished resume and interview will give you opportunity to show your experience.
    Wearing FD paraphernalia does not.
    If you want to stand out, wear a suit. You'll be one of a small handful that will be in one. While a suit does not guarantee the testing agency to know your name, you'll stand out in the fact that the small percentage of you that wear one, statistically represent the small number that will actually get hired out of the entire group of applicants.

You want this job? Dress like it.

Good luck.

Forum Member

fire buffs lol. gotta love em. wearin their local FD's clothes like it's the cloth of god. people like that are the exact reason i got out of volunteer fire fighting. And NO i don't want strobes on every square inch of my truck damn it. Keep it to a single blue light volly's. Damn sorry bout the rant but this was a good opportunity for it.
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DunebuggyN82 View Post
    I would like to know if it is a good or bad idea to wear a polo shirt with my name embroidered on it from my current department to test in. I am considering this to hopefully show my experience, and to put my name out there. I have been seeing a lot of candidates wear fire related clothing to the written and physical portions of testing. I see this as being effective in psyching out other competitors, but wonder how it is perceived by the department administering the test. Does wearing fire shirts that tie you to another department send the wrong message?

You can have a million "atta boys", but it is that one "oh sh*t" they will always remember you for. Wearing a fire department t-shirt would be an "oh sh*t". Do not draw attention to yourself. It does not psyche anyone out, only make them laugh.

If you want to impress the FD, kick some serious ***** on the test.

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    You can have a million "atta boys", but it is that one "oh sh*t" they will always remember you for. Wearing a fire department t-shirt would be an "oh sh*t". Do not draw attention to yourself. It does not psyche anyone out, only make them laugh.

If you want to impress the FD, kick some serious ***** on the test.

Kevin

thank you...I totally Co-Sign...

psyching out other competitors?...worry about yourself and kick *** on the test...thats it....

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Leave the FD-emblazoned stuff at home, wear a suit. Trust me, you're NOT psyching anyone out. Let your performance and interviews speak for your qualifications, not the shirt from your current department.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

you know, maybe i'm in the minority but for the written test, when you are testing with hundreds of others, I would leave the suit at home. if you want to wear your FD t-shirt, go nuts, it won't help you, but it won't hurt.

I mean, be realistic, you are taking the written test with many others, the proctors won't remember you.

for any in person meeting (like where they will actually talk to you and you get identified by name), such as an interview, picking up equipment, or anytime you are interacting with a high ranking member of the department, then suit and tie all the way.

but for the mass testing, i doubt anyone will care.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Wearing a FD related shirt to a test is a joke. Dont do this. Its embarrassing to show up to a test and see some fat dude with a FDNY RESCUE 1 !!!! or somethin like that on. Dont do it, you'll look like a fool.

Default T-Shirts

Like I've said before..."You never get a second chance at a first impression". I'm in total agreement about not showing up to take a test in flip flops or Fire Department t-shirts. Look professional at the test as you are being looked at from the very begining. There are people who will pick you out of the crowd for either being properly dressed or the ones in the t-shirts.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DunebuggyN82 View Post
    Really? Nothing says "I'm a yahoo" like wearing your FD T-shirt/polo to another department's written exam. Like everyone else is saying...bad idea. Just my humble opinion but I would recommend business casual attire when you show up for your written. A suit will make you stand out but quite honestly, it really doesn't matter when youíre testing with hundreds of other candidates. No individual time here. As long as you don't look like a slob you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Wearing a suit to a written test seems a bit like overkill.

Clean, pressed trousers, button down, plain white shirt, clean and polished shoes. It's a written test and a suit might be a little uncomfortable, and it's definitely not indicated for this situation.

Never wear dept t-shirts, or fight-what-you-fear tshirts, or FDNY tshirts etc to the physical test, or any portion of the test for that matter.
    Best look I see at the physical is a plain white t-shirt and navy blue shorts.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would never wear a FD shirt. Recently I tested for a large dept. I was on duty at my other FD and got coverage for the test. When I arrived I made sure I changed into a normal shirt and shorts for the test even though I already had my FD uniform on for work that day. I would have felt pretty stupid walking in wearing that. It's attention that I don't need. Even though it was a big city and no one would remember me because of the thousands of applicants, I STILL would have felt stupid. I went in, took the test(in normal clothes), and am now sitting near the top of the list with an interview coming up. So wearing the shirt will not help.

You could always be like one guy that I saw a couple years ago though. He walked in wearing his turnout coat. I've never seen so many people look at someone during a written test with a "WTF?" look on their face. haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I would never wear a FD shirt. Recently I tested for a large dept. I was on duty at my other FD and got coverage for the test. When I arrived I made sure I changed into a normal shirt and shorts for the test even though I already had my FD uniform on for work that day. I would have felt pretty stupid walking in wearing that. It's attention that I don't need. Even though it was a big city and no one would remember me because of the thousands of applicants, I STILL would have felt stupid. I went in, took the test(in normal clothes), and am now sitting near the top of the list with an interview coming up. So wearing the shirt will not help.

You could always be like one guy that I saw a couple years ago though. He walked in wearing his turnout coat. I've never seen so many people look at someone during a written test with a "WTF?" look on their face. haha
    LOL at a turnout coat to a written exam....

When you're testing with a large group (100+), nobody cares what you wear as long as you don't stand out one way or the other. Wear something that looks good, but not showy. Be comfortable, but still look nice. Being clean-cut is always a good idea. The FD T-shirt is a faux pas IMO, though. The thought that goes through most mature people's minds when they see the FD T-shirt at a test is "that tool probably won't get hired -- less competition for me". I don't think you would want that kind of attention.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA wow he wore his turnout coat? hahahahaha oh man

its a written test... wear what makes you comfortable...

but be professional looking.

Pants a t-shirt... thats what I wore and so what? I got it... twice...

if there is 20 people taking a test, wearing a polo shirt is a good idea but dont wear one from your current FD...

200 people or more... hell, no one cares what you wear. Your just a number.
    I've taken it with 50, 500, and 22,000 people...

not once was I asked about what I wore to the written test... why?

Because no one cares...

Now, interview is a whole different ballgame
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

wow someone wore his turnout coat to the test, I don't think there is a term for that does justice to his level of dinger. It even beats out the dinger chiefs that brought their chief's cars to the test.

Wearing FD stuff won't psyche anyone out. I had the exact same reaction others on here had, "Wow what a tool dinger, he'll probably fail." If they didn't fail they didn't get the job because I don't remember ever seeing them again.

Then again the guys in suits, when I saw them I just thought "they're probably over compensating for something"

wear something classy but comfortable. I'm with the people who say don't stand out at this point.

Thread Information