MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is it okay to bring up my faith in an interview?

For questions such as, "What are some of the ways you deal with stress?" I have been thinking about a response that incorporates my faith. I want to leave my answer alone since my faith is very important to me, but would like to know what people on this board think about my response direction. I have also included in my answer things such as exercise, and the support of a loving wife.

Forum Member

Yes, I believe it is good to bring this up. Church, family, etc are all good indicators of your character. It's just all about how you work it in the interview. There is a right way to go about it that will express your values, moral judgement, etc. and still answer the question.

I have never sat on a interviewing panel, just been the one interviewed. So listen to others on this as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DunebuggyN82 View Post
    For questions such as, "What are some of the ways you deal with stress?" I have been thinking about a response that incorporates my faith. I want to leave my answer alone since my faith is very important to me, but would like to know what people on this board think about my response direction. I have also included in my answer things such as exercise, and the support of a loving wife.
    NEVER be ashamed of your faith!

If you are asked a question and your answer has something to do with your faith, then by all means answer it honestly.
    I know of no interview panel that will fault you for your answer.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Never be ashamed of your faith....
    But I say "no".
    All I have thought when I've heard someone bring it up during an interview was "zealot". Turn to whatever higher power you want to in your time of need, but don't bring it into an interview. I have found myself quickly tuning out and trying hard to listen afterward.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Never be ashamed of your faith....
    But I say "no".
    All I have thought when I've heard someone bring it up during an interview was "zealot". Turn to whatever higher power you want to in your time of need, but don't bring it into an interview. I have found myself quickly tuning out and trying hard to listen afterward.
    I agree with Bam

From a previous posting:

OK, you wrote in your answer why you want to be a firefighter:

On the spiritual level , I think a lot of people ask the question , "what is the meaning of life". I know I must have asked that question 1,000,000 times. I searched for the answer fruitlessly for a long long time . The answer was only revealed to me when I surrendered my life to God. In my quest to understands god will, I came to understand that the reason he put us here on this earth was to please him . The way that he asks we please him is to love him and uphold his values . His values are unconditional love and respect and patience towards others, to find peace in serving others. I prayed for a way to strengthen my bond with others and become a valuable part of others lives. I feel the way I can serve others is to become a dedicated firefighter,a dedicated community servant..

Reply: If you’re a candidate you had better be praying because your competition is. I would suggest you not bring up religion as part of your answer because you never know who is sitting on the panel and how they would receive, interpret and accept this answer. It could only take one panel member to give you a score that could keep you out of the process. Some panel members could think they wouldn’t want to put you in a station where you might drive everyone nuts talking about religion.

The above candidate decided he wanted to go with his original answer. After his interview he told me he thought it was well received. He wasn't called back.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Faith

There is nothing wrong with anyone having faith. Each person has their own way of practicing it. However.....with that being said there is a place and a time for everything and at the interview (in my opinion) is not one of them. There are three things that are not discussed in the firehouse and religion is one of them. We firefighters are know to be intense in our conversations and it can be heated at times. That is why it is not allowed. If asked in the interview...which it will not...you can then say what you will , but I think you should not bring it up.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Permanently Removed

No, I would not bring it up. You might believe in one thing and an interviewer might believe in something else and it could clash.

Thread Information