Forum Member

Default What are my chances?

Anyway to figure out what my chances are after getting my written exam score back? I scored a 90, listed 24 out of 90 people who took the exam. The list lasts 4 years. The department size is 82 members.

My thought is it dosen't sound good.

Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

I know of a couple departments around the detroit area that are about that size. They normally have anywhere between 5 and 10 members retiring a year. I hate to add this part, but you also have take into account for members who might get injured to the point that they could not be a firefighter anymore as well as the possibility of them dieing, (heaven forbid and extremely low possibility).....

With that being said, I don't know anything about the department you are applying to. Information needed to help make a better decision would be how many guys are going to be elgibile for retirement in the next four years? What is the average age of the members? That will help you figure out if there is a greater chance for injury or not as good a chance. Also, find out if the test score is ALL that matters. Sometimes if you do good, but not excellent, but if they look over your resume, prior work exp., etc., they'll hire you if they like you in general.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadfly View Post
    Anyway to figure out what my chances are after getting my written exam score back? I scored a 90, listed 24 out of 90 people who took the exam. The list lasts 4 years. The department size is 82 members.

My thought is it dosen't sound good.
    More information is needed. Was there just a written score that established the list? How about an agility and oral interview?

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks you guys. You have given me some good questions to ask to get a better feel for my situation.

Permanently Removed

shadfly- You are worrying too much over it already. Take the test and move on. Thats right, if they want YOU, they will call you.

You should be focused on the next 3 fire agencies that are testing in your area. Thats how it works, test and move on. Then, that department will call you out of the blue when youre busy with other endevors. Its kinda like dating...see all the girls you can. Dont just sit around waiting for this one to call....it will feel like forever.

Trust me.

Thread Information