Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Best organizations for volunteer hours?

I am looking for types of volunteer programs that relate to the fire career field for use in future resumes. So far I have come up with helping in: MDA events, Fill the Boot, Kid's Burn Camps, American Red Cross, and Fire Prevention Week activities. Does anyone else have any good fire related volunteer work to add?

Forum Member

Ummm...Firefighting? I think that's fire related.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am looking for community service hours other than fighting fires, I already have that covered. I just don't want to venture to far away from fire related programs in my volunteer work.

Forum Member

Volunteering just to pad your resume is never a good idea. You should be volunteering because you want to and not because you think it will look good down the road. Let me guess .... you want to wear your firefighter tshirt when you volunteer at the Red Cross?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DunebuggyN82 View Post
    I am looking for community service hours other than fighting fires, I already have that covered. I just don't want to venture to far away from fire related programs in my volunteer work.
    Why? Volunteer for something you believe in or feel strongly about regardless of whether or not you feel it is "fire service related". As long as youíre assisting your community it won't matter what youíre doing to the department youíre interviewing for. If your primary reason for volunteering is to make yourself look better on a resume and/or to an oral board then you seriously need to rethink what your doing. To each his own I suppose.

Forum Member

I suppose I can think of one reason...

Some education levels require some commitment to community service...perhaps this is why?

I assume part of the reason you want it to be fire service related is because you enjoy the fire service, and it won't hurt your resume either?

In the long run, any type of volunteer work looks good on a resume. So long as it isn't for an organization that is contradictory to the field you hope to work in. Like volunteering for PETA and trying to become a butcher. But who would do that, right?

Forum Member

Volunteering with something fire-related isn't necessarily going to look better on your resume as opposed to volunteering for something that actually means something to you. The volunteer work I did aside from my Volunteer FD had nothing to do with the Fire-service but I bet I scored much higher in my Orals because I was able to relate my volunteer experience to my direction in life and what's important to me besides the fire service.

Thread Information