Forum Member

Default Stairs vs. Stepmill

Hello all,

I have a question for you. I recently purchased a Mir Weight vest in anticipation of some testing coming up early next year. I don't have access to a stepmill so I decided to run stairs. The only problem is that it is only two flights worth of stairs. Is it just as beneficial to be running up and down the two flights for the same amount of time as a stepmill workout?

MembersZone Subscriber

If it gets your heart going and roasts your quads, than it's better than nothing. However, you may find stepping onto a box or bench for 3-5 minutes to be a harder workout, since you're not giving your legs a time to rest (coming down the stairs).

You could also inquire at the local gym or YMCA about a one day or one week pass. The newer Nautilus machines have a CPAT test programmed into it.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Parking Garages

Try to find a parking garage with at least 4 or 5 levels. Most parking garages have stairwells on all 4 corners as emergency exits. It's just like running up the tower at a fire academy. I word of advice, plan on doing this when there are not a lot of people around to get in your way. I do this early Saturday mornings.

I too use a weight vest , but I also carry a 50 foot section of 2 1/2" hose on my shoulder as I run up the 5 stories. If you are not with a department, go to your local fire station and ask if they have any out of service 50 foot sections of 2 1/2" hose that you could borrow. Tie it up high-rise style, throw it on your shoulder and poof...as close as you can get to a real CPAT!

Believe me, hauling the hose up the stairs will make a significant difference than just running up the stairs with the weight vest alone. I started doing this about 2 months before my CPAT for fire academy and it helped out a lot. Since I graduated from fire academy, I have been doing this once every other week, along with my 5 day strength and cardio workout programs. When the CPAT's for a department draw closer, I will start doing this twice a week again. Good luck and I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by pewter98; 09-18-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am currently a career FF on a smaller suburban dept. just looking forward to testing for two large metro depts. in January. I think I will incorporate both the step and hose bundle and see if that accomplishes what I want.

Thread Information