Thread: Paramedic Book

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Paramedic Book

Hey quick question, I am a State of Florida Paramedic and moving to Arizona. Which means I have to challenge the National Registry. Any idea which paramedic book is better for the test, I haven't been in school since 2000 and don't really know what is out there anymore. Thanks....
    Last edited by jdfalcone; 09-18-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Member

Grab a few study books. The registry is one crazy test.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Hey, I took the registry back in March. The written part as im sure you are aware by now is on computer across the state. I will say this, as far as studying certain study book etc... forget that. Find out what Paramedic book is out there in classes and buy it used. Read it and make sure you read the captions under pictures and what not. FOCUS on Pediatrics, Medication dosages, and ESPECIALLY Cushings Triad. I remember being asked about five different questions on that alone and they certainly know how to reword things to make them confusing.

The test is written so that all the answers COULD be right, but which one is the MOST appropriate answer? Use the process of elimination. It is difficult to a certain degree, but use your common sense as well as what you read and you should do fine. I believe it was set up as a minimum of 70 questions and a max of 150. It grades you on your progress in certain categories. You have to score I believe it was an 80 percent in EACH of the categories as a weighted overall score.

Now for the practical:

Living in Florida there is only one site for Practical examination and I live in Bradenton so it was a hike to Melbourne. When you get there, you will be given a number, then everyone will be seated in one waiting area. There are the stations set up all around the campus. When your number is called you go to the station. From hearing the candidates talking amongst themselves, I was hearing the that the most difficult stations were the Oral A and B(medical and trauma). You have 15 minutes to run each scenario as you would a real call in the field. They are not there to trick you but to see where you are with detail. Just relax and focus and you should do fine. As for the other stations, they are skills such as proper IV insertion, IO on peds, Airway management, medication administration, etc. If you go to your local college that instructs paramedic classes, you may be able to get copies of the National Registry testing forms that come in many books. Pay particularly close attention to the "critical fail criteria". Its one thing to mess up and lose points, its another to miss a "critical fail" and have to retest. It is up to the particular proctor whether or not they will give you a retest the same day or make you come back. Fortunately, Melbourne does it the same day. I will admit, I messed up on the random station and had a KED and let go of C-spine and ended up retesting. I hadn't used a KED my whole career so far and I just got tunnel vision. It happens. Just stay focused, study and you will do fine. Good Luck! Any more questions feel free to ask!

Forum Member

Like 319 said get as many books as you can get. I took the test for my EMT license and it was stupid hard. The best thing really is read the book that is required for the class, and all the other things you can find. Good luck
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

Great thanks for all of the info, I hate the fact that I have to take this test after working as a street medic for the past 6 years. You kind of lose the exact detail that they are looking for in a scenario or practical. But, oh well, it will be a good refresher. Thanks again.

Thread Information