MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lapel microphone

My department in the near future is going to distribute lapel mic's for our Motorola XTS 5000 portable radios. My Captain here in the Training Division wants me to find out information about the mic. Just need info pertaining to safety aspects and how they should be worn. Please respond with your own advice and opinions. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
    J. Haffield SLCFD/local #1377

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Although we're only a rural volly department and this problem may not even be a factor for you, how good is your repeater system? If you have excellent radio coverage (like at the plant where I work), lapel mics work great. If you have marginal radio coverage to begin with (like at my volly department), the lapel mics will be a problem. Radios work better when the antennas are out in the open. If you have poor or spotty radio coverage and radios are tucked away inside bunker coats or in pockets, you won't get good reception. Depends on the system you are working with.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

If the antenna is in good condition,tucking it under a turnout coat won't be that big a problem.It's just if the IC calls for a channel change to get the incident off the county dispatch channel that you'd have troube getting at it if you are about to go interior.
    Most folks I know put the radio into the pocket on their coat that's designed for it and run the cord inside and make sure the lapel is closed properly.
    On calls where a FF isn't going interior,I've seen them hanging off the waist like "normally".I work on the river here in Memphis and wear my VHF on my hip and run the mike cord up my back and over my shoulder to keep it from catching on anything.
    Has anyone else seen the police radios that have antenna on the mike itself?It's not like cops are going to be burying their radios under layers of PPE.Does anyone offer such a setup for firefighting radios?If Motorola doesn't,they should do so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    If the antenna is in good condition,tucking it under a turnout coat won't be that big a problem.It's just if the IC calls for a channel change to get the incident off the county dispatch channel that you'd have troube getting at it if you are about to go interior.
    Most folks I know put the radio into the pocket on their coat that's designed for it and run the cord inside and make sure the lapel is closed properly.
    On calls where a FF isn't going interior,I've seen them hanging off the waist like "normally".I work on the river here in Memphis and wear my VHF on my hip and run the mike cord up my back and over my shoulder to keep it from catching on anything.
    Has anyone else seen the police radios that have antenna on the mike itself?It's not like cops are going to be burying their radios under layers of PPE.Does anyone offer such a setup for firefighting radios?If Motorola doesn't,they should do so.
    The problem with this set up at least in my limited experience with the radio system here is that the antenna on the plastic lapel mic breaks the ground plane of the radio. When we used the radios with the microphones with antenna attached the radios lost alot of range. In some instances we couldn't even reach the repeater. Once we switched to the antenna free lapel microphones things got much better.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thread Information