Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Computer aided dispatch and voiceless

Any big operators want to ring in with using computer aided dispatch and MDT in your rigs. Do you push buttons and talk TOO? And if you talk, I mean regarding out, on scene, in service, returning. What's the purpose of it

Forum Member

Default Mobile Computers

I work in a all paid enviorment in King County near Seattle. We have had MDC's in our apparatus for a few years.

We are dispatched via CAD and CadVoice (locution) both in station and over our dispatch channel. We are assigned a tactical channel for the incident. The alarm also shows up on our MDC. We routinely go on alarms (such as EMS) without talking on the radio, other than to acknowledge the initial short from Dispatch. We respond, go on scene, available and in quarters via the MDC. The only reason we talk on the radio on a lot of alarms is to request a medic unit, ambulance or cancel an incomming unit.

This system also incorporates closest unit dispatching via a GPS sender. I do use the radio to go "on scene" of a working incident to give a short. The dispatcher then enters us "on scene" in the CAD system.

The goal of the system is to minimize radio traffic on a very busy system and allow dispatchers to process alarms more efficiently. It works pretty well from my perspective as an engine Captain. Our dispatch center covers about 500,000 people, 50 fire stations, seamless automatic aid and utilizes an 800 MHz radio system. We have recently started the process for the next generation of CAD/MDC/RMS technology and software.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCreek View Post
    Any big operators want to ring in with using computer aided dispatch and MDT in your rigs. Do you push buttons and talk TOO? And if you talk, I mean regarding out, on scene, in service, returning. What's the purpose of it
    Our department recently went to an MDT system a couple years ago. We had some transitions between radio and MDT, so when we did get a call you responded on the radio as well as the push buttons. The reason for talking was to keep dispatched informed because the MDT does like to freeze up now and again and also to keep the times close. When first transitioning we could have someone say their on scene, but forget to hit the ON SCENE button, making look like a 20 minute response time.

Late last year we went to pushbutton only to show ENROUTE, ON SCENE, going to the hospital, etc and use the radio for special info, such as held up by a train or boat etc. For a fire call with multiple rigs rolling, dispatch will inform our battalion chief that all rigs are enroute. That was an issue with going push button is that you didn't know if everyone was rolling.

A nice thing about talking along with the button is that you do hear all the rigs and can hear if someone didn't answer because they may be on the wrong channel. Nothing like having the first in rig do a first in report, only to be on the wrong channel. Relying on technology does make it easier to forget some of the simple things. That is probably why our transitioning from radio only to MDT did take awhile.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedog1979 View Post
    I work in a all paid enviorment in King County near Seattle. We have had MDC's in our apparatus for a few years.

We are dispatched via CAD and CadVoice (locution) both in station and over our dispatch channel. We are assigned a tactical channel for the incident. The alarm also shows up on our MDC. We routinely go on alarms (such as EMS) without talking on the radio, other than to acknowledge the initial short from Dispatch. We respond, go on scene, available and in quarters via the MDC. The only reason we talk on the radio on a lot of alarms is to request a medic unit, ambulance or cancel an incomming unit.

This system also incorporates closest unit dispatching via a GPS sender. I do use the radio to go "on scene" of a working incident to give a short. The dispatcher then enters us "on scene" in the CAD system.

The goal of the system is to minimize radio traffic on a very busy system and allow dispatchers to process alarms more efficiently. It works pretty well from my perspective as an engine Captain. Our dispatch center covers about 500,000 people, 50 fire stations, seamless automatic aid and utilizes an 800 MHz radio system. We have recently started the process for the next generation of CAD/MDC/RMS technology and software.

I know King County. Any chance its VisionAir CAD and VisionMobile MDT What I am finding is that in the 3 year implementation some people can't imagine why the software was designed the way it was

This system also incorporates closest unit dispatching via a GPS sender.
    I used to think this was a good thing, but total distance insn't everything, especially when it is calculated down to the foot!

Is there any variance given for access, stop lights, turns, railways, etc?

Our CAD coordinator recently told me that we could literally be cut out of runs because of parking in the left bay instead of the right and vice versa. Seems a little over the top.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Our system in Austin is similar to what Firedog has in King County. It has worked pretty well for us without any major glitches. We do use the radio to report onscene at box alarms and other incidents where multiple units are responding.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AFDFS24C View Post
    Our system in Austin is similar to what Firedog has in King County. It has worked pretty well for us without any major glitches. We do use the radio to report onscene at box alarms and other incidents where multiple units are responding.
    Austin, Texas? Say Hi to Chris Watson, I used to work with him.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCreek View Post
    I know King County. Any chance its VisionAir CAD and VisionMobile MDT What I am finding is that in the 3 year implementation some people can't imagine why the software was designed the way it was
    The system is a mish-mash of different vendors. And its design leaves a lot to be desired - no mapping, updates send you to the top of the screen while responding, etc. We hope to fix all of this in the next generation. We had huge problems with connectivity and reliability early on. But, the last couple years have been stable enough to use it pretty routinely. A lot of pain and suffering to get there though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I used to think this was a good thing, but total distance insn't everything, especially when it is calculated down to the foot!

Is there any variance given for access, stop lights, turns, railways, etc?

Our CAD coordinator recently told me that we could literally be cut out of runs because of parking in the left bay instead of the right and vice versa. Seems a little over the top.
    We have had some of those problems. But our tech guys can get in and change speed limits on roads, show streets that are blocked, etc. Sometimes you hear a dispatch that may not seem right, but in the long run it will still be quicker than adding yourself. I would say the system is right 98% of the time. Our GPS turns off when when you hit the "in quarters" button for just the reasons you outlined. The computer just show you at the station address.

Pretty much the same here, just on a bit larger scale. The main difference is on fire calls the MDCs do not allow for going on scene. On a fire, a verbal on-scene and size-up (as well as other info) is still required.

GIS is built in and active, but not yet used for dispatching. May never be. LOTs of politics involved.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 09-22-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

We have had some of those problems. But our tech guys can get in and change speed limits on roads, show streets that are blocked, etc. Sometimes you hear a dispatch that may not seem right, but in the long run it will still be quicker than adding yourself. I would say the system is right 98% of the time. Our GPS turns off when when you hit the "in quarters" button for just the reasons you outlined. The computer just show you at the station address.
    Well maybe they will incorporate some kind of common sense approach here as well, but historically that doesn't seem to be the way it works out!!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information